Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Old Leicas, Summitar 2.0/50 and Summaron 3.5/35
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Old Leicas, Summitar 2.0/50 and Summaron 3.5/35 Reply with quote

A few months back I decided to buy some Leitz LTM lenses to use on my A7II. I did my research, learned about the chalky glass and fragile coatings used back then. I studied the Ebay offerings carefully and asked pointed questions.

Eventually I found both a Summitar and Summaron with unmarred glass at reasonable prices and pulled the trigger on both. As it happens both lenses were heavily fogged, the old grease having outgassed onto the inner elements. It took a bit of time to have the lenses cleaned but I now have a pair of like new Leica lenses from the early 50s.

They arrived Thursday and the weather has been bad all week with cold, clouds and rain. Couldn't let that stop me though.

With the Summaron...

With the Summitar...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some lovely grain going on there, can you tell us about the settings and PP please?
They remind me of the old Agfachrome 1000, I'd enjoy using the digital equivalent of that again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
There's some lovely grain going on there, can you tell us about the settings and PP please?
They remind me of the old Agfachrome 1000, I'd enjoy using the digital equivalent of that again.

All of the photographs were taken indoors. The buildings are all 1800's vintage so no artificial illumination. Natural light but overcast day.

Camera settings:

Chair, Washbasin and Green Beans
Summaron 35mm @ F/3.5 Exp: 1/800 ISO 6400

Wheel
Summitar 50mm @ F/2.0 Exp: 1/400 ISO 6400

Tobacco and Water Barrel
Summitar 50mm @ F/2.0 Exp: 1/800 ISO 6400

All photos were processed in Lightroom 5. My normal procedure is to flip through a few favorite presets to get close to what I want then tweak the individual elements to zero in on a final image.

I don't record what presets I start with or how I tweak the images. I can say that of the six photographs I posted there were 5 different presets used.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve. If they were mine I'd have framed the basin and the beans,nice,simple shots.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you cyrano.

I already have a 16x20 canvas print from a photo I took a year ago (NEX-6 and Zeiss Flektogon) that is too close to the basin...

I will consider doing the same for the beans however.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog beautiful pictures!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Like Dog beautiful pictures!

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very lovely pics I' enjouyed to look at!
Grainy corn structure fits perfectly to the subjects take and the lenses used!

Are they taken from a museum?
Especially the tobacco tins let me think to those I used to buy as shool boy decades ago.
At those long ago times we were not asked to be 18yrs. old to smoke, 15 up 16 were enough....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T*homas,

These photographs were taken at a local museum, the Troy Historic Village. The City and Historical Association have moved a number of 19th century buildings to a single location, restored them, and have them on display.

The staff is very active and are constantly moving/changing displays. I have been there five times in the last year and each time it has been different.