Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus Pen F vs Sony Nex 6300
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Olympus Pen F vs Sony Nex 6300 Reply with quote

There is plenty of comparisons on the web but I would like to ask Your opinion.

Currently I am usin Nex5 but planning to do some upgrade and as such I am thinking about switching to new Pen F.

I have zero experience with 4/3 but one thig that lets me thinking about it is much wider range of lenses avaible for 4/3.

Is it true ? What about picture quaity ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A6300 = best sensor for adapting old lenses
Pen F = A beautiful camera that looks like a camera

Why not go for a FF?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

may i ask what are the criteria for crowning the sony 'best' for adapted lenses? i have seen many lovely results from the pen with adapted lenses. both have focus peaking and focus magnification, as does virtually every other mirrorless. am i incorrect?

to OP, we all have different things that are important to us. the truth is IQ among most cameras out now are going to be roughly equal. true, there exists individual 'signatures' that may be more or less subjectively appealing to each of us,and so i suggest seeking out as many pictures as you can from each and determine which strikes you. as you already have a sony, check out pen shots on this forum

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/pen-f-images.83222/page-5#post-875433

if your main concern is lenses, certainly, objectively, m4/3 has a much wider variety from which to choose.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m4/3 cameras are not very good for adapting legacy lenses unless you are the sort of shooter that mostly uses long lenses. The 2x crop factor means even a 'normal' 50mm becomes a 100mm so if you enjoy wide angles, skip M4/3. IQ-wise, M4/3 cameras are fine, generally equal to the prior generation APS-C; the main difference you will notice in real world shooting is the lower dynamic range which manifests most often as blown highlights.

There aren't many legacy lenses that will work on M4/3 that won't work on APS-C mirrorless and the M4/3 cameras are barely any smaller.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked as I was travelling with my old Nex5 and 90% of the photos taken was with kit lens (18-55) despite the fact that I was also carring helios and yashinon lenses.
In most of the cases key factor was time to shot a photo so changing m42 than manual focusing was too much. Especially for my girlfriend Wink.

So I love m42 lenses for a built, optics etc but it's great when You have time, when travelling it's not so obvious.

Therefore as I am thinking about updating camera I am thinking that still e-mount lenses are quite limited in number and expensive so perhaps 4/3 is an alterantive.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, youre right. first, sony system has far fewer lens choices than m4/3. second, sony has been known to have quality control issues regarding the few lenses they do have, so sample variation seems to be a real issue. as for adapting your legacy glass, i never had a problem at all with legacy glass on m4/3, and that was before most m4/3 cameras had OIS and focus peaking. if you check out the m4/3 forums you will find just as many using legacy glass on m4/3 as apsc. it is just a matter of , as you said, taking your time and using goood form.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have OMD and A7 II. It is nice to adapt c-mounts and Pentax 110 lenses to the OMD. I use the Sony to everything else.

m43 have a very thick filter stack (4mm) that have an impact with adapted lenses and the two x crop makes most lenses tele or normal focal lenght.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sigma 19mm and 30mm lenses are very cheap and good, available for both NEX and M43.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The Sigma 19mm and 30mm lenses are very cheap and good, available for both NEX and M43.

I know but if You dig into details and prices ... I am really reading like hell about 4/3 and comparing to E-mount, there is no real comparison. 4/3 has a lots of lenses, some of them quite cheap, there are obvously prime ones but even them still looks cheaper. Secondly I have impression that zuiko lenses beats sony ones in regard of quality and images. I think that soon I will check it myself Wink