Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

setting aperture with non-ai/ais lenses on Nikon DSLR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: setting aperture with non-ai/ais lenses on Nikon DSLR Reply with quote

Hi,
so far my experience with MF lenses was limited to the Nikkor Ai/Ais lens.
All I have to do is to tell the camera (D800) what is the maximum aperture of the lens and then the camera recognizes whatever aperture I set with the aperture ring and changes the meeting accordingly. That works fine and never had problems.

Now with MF like for example the SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 I do the same kind of setup. But when I change the aperture using the aperture ring the camera does not recognize the change.

So far that was not a problem as I bought the lens to shoot WO. Anyway from time to time I'd like to use a different aperture. So how to achieve that?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It s me again (i replied in the other post). Again here, don t worry too much, when i stop down a non F mount lens (like my preset Helios 40 for example) the camera metering compensates on itself (i always use A mode). After all if you think: native lenses are focused wide open to give you a brighter viewfinder, the camera calcuates the exposure based on your settings and closes down the aperture you choose when you press the shutter. So it doesn t make a lot of difference, again make an experiment: with the Takumar you have look thru the viewfinder as you close the aperture manually on the lens, you ll see how the exposure time gets longer, turn auto iso off in that case, use A mode (aperture priority) not M mode. On some lenses when you stop down a lot like f11 or f16 the exposure can be off a bit.

I hope you ll be able to make some sense from what i wrote in both posts, English is not my native language. Also i hope you don t mind me being so smart, but there aren t too many Nikon users here.

Tomas

P.S. In case you don t do that: first thing you have to do is set up your Non CPU lens menu, for the Takumar, tell the camera it s a 50 mm lens with a max aperture of f1.4 with that set everything it s easyer (you can use A mode).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: setting aperture with non-ai/ais lenses on Nikon DSLR Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
Hi,
so far my experience with MF lenses was limited to the Nikkor Ai/Ais lens.
All I have to do is to tell the camera (D800) what is the maximum aperture of the lens and then the camera recognizes whatever aperture I set with the aperture ring and changes the meeting accordingly. That works fine and never had problems.

Now with MF like for example the SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 I do the same kind of setup.

I apologize for the stupid question, but how do you mount the SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 lens on the D800? Using an adapter with an optical element?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: setting aperture with non-ai/ais lenses on Nikon DSLR Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
Now with MF like for example the SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 I do the same kind of setup. But when I change the aperture using the aperture ring the camera does not recognize the change.

Nikkor and third party AI-AIS lenses tell the body aperture with a slot in the aperture ring. No other lenses have that feature.