Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens Turbo Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Lens Turbo Help Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a good Lens turbo for some of my legacy lenses, I'm thinking maybe M42 to E mount as I have quite few M42 lenses I'd like to see at there true focal length, however I have lots of other lenses from different mounts so wonder if the M42 thread is easy enough to adapt to say contax/yashica, OM, Fuji x, FD, MD, or Nikon? Due to the cost I don't really wont to be buying more than one turbo adapter.

Secondly am I being naive in thinking that there's affordable adapters out there (around £100) that won't degrade IQ too much?

Any help would be much appreciated

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Minolta version might be a good idea as you would be able to use both Minolta and M42 lenses with it. A M42 to Minolta SR (MC/MD) adapter is available as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanks! Sounds like a plan Smile

Any ideas on these?

Camdiox MD to E mount 59.99

Roxseen MD to E mount 62.00

Zhongyi Lens Turbo II MD to E Mount 104.99

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon EOS version is most economical one if you won't use Minolta lens, I have Canon EOS LT Zhong Yi.
Canon takes M42, Olympus OM, Nikkor Exakta, Contax/Yashica , Praktica B

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally the one with shortest registration distance, provided that there are really adapters for the other mounts. So maybe Minolta, but even better FD.
I have an EOS version because when I bought my Nex, I had mostly lenses adaptable to Canon dSLR; thus all the adapters I had can be reused. Of course this does not allow me to use FD or Minolta lenses...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again guys, very intereting! EOS is out as I don't have any would FD be more adaptable than MD? I have a few of both

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caledonia84 wrote:
Thanks again guys, very intereting! EOS is out as I don't have any would FD be more adaptable than MD? I have a few of both

I doubt , check it out FD adapter variety, I know M42 adapter is exists, may some other as well, real problem FD is an old system , so you need to hunt old adapters , they are not available from many vendors like EOS adapters.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I am thinking about same thing - what focus reducer to buy. So I thanks TS for starting this conversation.

What I want to know mainly is which of them to buy. Or more exactly - which of the cheaper ones. Vitrox? Noname? Zhongyi? Anything else? Are they just a different names or they are really different?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caledonia84 wrote:

I have an EOS focal reducer, but no EOS lenses (or bodies).

It allows me to use M42, PK, OM... lenses with simple adapters (and try free-lensing with the sony/Minolta A mount - I don't think an adapter is available there as the flange distances are too close) I don't know of any other SLR mount that's more adaptable.

FD would be good if it hadn't been out of production so long. As no FD bodies have been made in decades there's no demand to adapt lenses to FD.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least M42 to Minolta SR is easy and cheaply available: Click here to see on Ebay

I have the Zhongyi Lens Turbo MD-NEX adapter. If you like I can provide some test shots on my NEX-C3. I would have some of the lenses in your lens list (Helios 44, Takumar or Rokkor 50's) and many others as well.

Just let me know...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! thanks again it does look like the EOS is easily adaptable to M42 and C/Y the two main ones I'd like, I'd also like an EOS to X Fujinon as I'd be interested to see how my Porst 50mm f1.2 behaves but id be happy with having just the C/Y and M42 anything else is a bonus!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
At least M42 to Minolta SR is easy and cheaply available: Click here to see on Ebay

I have the Zhongyi Lens Turbo MD-NEX adapter. If you like I can provide some test shots on my NEX-C3. I would have some of the lenses in your lens list (Helios 44, Takumar or Rokkor 50's) and many others as well.

Just let me know...

Thank you that's very kind of you!!! you don't have to give me test shots, just your opinion on the Zhongyi as it does appear to be the front runner just now Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zhongyi-Turbo-II-Focal-Reducer-Booster-Adapter-Canon-EF-EOS-Lens-to-Sony-E-NEX-7-/221938958344?hash=item33ac97c008:g:T7EAAOSwPe1T4H6P

This one looks a decent price, £89?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caledonia84 wrote:
... just your opinion on the Zhongyi as it does appear to be the front runner just now Smile

IMHO the Zhongyi does it's job very well. It certainly doesn't improve the lens quality but if the used lens is a good one you would hardly see any difference if used with or without LT on an APS-C camera like a NEX or A6000. At least my copy provides sharp pictures from edge to edge with the appropriate lenses.
In other words: The Zhongyi is seriously recommendable.
If the used lens is lousy the result will be likewise: Shit in - shit out. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent stuff Thanks again, looks like I'll give that a shot £89 seams cheap for what it is!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been doing some research on these focal reducers and it appears that the guy who owns the metabones one owns the patent for the optical formula and that in fact they are all optically the same aside from coatings. Anyone else confirm this?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caledonia84 wrote:
Been doing some research on these focal reducers and it appears that the guy who owns the metabones one owns the patent for the optical formula and that in fact they are all optically the same aside from coatings. Anyone else confirm this?

No. They surely patented their optical scheme, but it's not the only one able to produce this effect.
In fact, Speedbooster declares 6 elements in 4 groups, while Zhongyi declares 4/4 and 4/3 (v.2).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting here was my source, the guy seams to have spoken to someone at metabones about it, he talks about it around 11.50 in

https://youtu.be/AI7cqL5q77s

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caledonia84 wrote:

http://www.caldwell-photographic.com/ owns the 'Speedbooster' tradename and associated optical designs. Trademark and designs have been licenced to Metabones on an exclusive worldwide basis.

Chinese designed focal reducers are of a different design, with different glass and made in different factory.