Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Max non operating temperature limit for manual lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Max non operating temperature limit for manual lens Reply with quote

Hi All,
This is my first post, but I've been reading a lot in this forum and learnt a lot.
I recently purchased E-m10 and decided I'll buy manual lenses and possibly Lens turbo II. I'm planning to go around thrift shops and see if I can get any good ones. I'm looking for MD rokkor 50/1.4, Pentax M 50/2, SMC M28/2.8 and Vivitar 35/2.8.

I'm little bud bug phobic to be honest. I never bought anything used before and I'm concerned I may bring in the little buggers into my home accidentally. Even hough the lenses are not exactly beds where they live, I read that the bugs move around to nest in all nook and cranny.

I also read that the bugs and eggs destroy at 120F (40C). So, I'm planning to put them in an oven and heat them to 120F to destroy any bugs in there. I was wondering if anyone has any advise for me regarding heating the lens gradually and holding it at 120F for an hours and gradually cooling it down.

Am I concerned unnecessarily? Am I too paranoid? Do anyone have any similar experiences? Sorry for a paronoid post, being thinking for a long time to post this, but I just made up my mind to ask.

Thanks
Jay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's way too hot. The lenses will be wrecked.

And too be honest, I think the risk of bugs being imported inside a lens is no greater than bringing most other things into your home. I would keep the lenses in an airtight Tupperware container for a few days, that should kill any that might be there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
That's way too hot. The lenses will be wrecked.

And too be honest, I think the risk of bugs being imported inside a lens is no greater than bringing most other things into your home. I would keep the lenses in an airtight Tupperware container for a few days, that should kill any that might be there.

40C isn't hot enough to kill many bugs, parts of Africa regularly reach such temperatures.
But I agree that there's no greater risk of bugs in lenses than on your shoes, trousers or just through an open window.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think lenses are a big problem.

But I would avoid the leather cases anyways. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's... interesting problem, that I have never thought off Wink.

However in my opinion going with temp. down is safer for the lens and actually may kill the bugs. Putting lens into a freezer with -10C, or even less, should kill the buggers and the lens will be all right. Just remember to let it warm gradually after taking lens out because all the grease inside could be completely frozen and trying to operate the lens could go wrong.
I'm not a bug expert so maybe some of the bugs may preserve in hibernation or something when put into the freezer, but I'm sure it's possible to kill living creatures by freezing it one or several times.

However, I agree with the guys above, that there is seriously little chance of lens being infected with bug or something.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the bug collector's method of murder: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_jar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you too paranoid? Absolutely. Look, I've bought untold hundreds of used lenses. Not once have I seen anything to crawl out it. Now, rice and flour - that I watch like a hawk. Well, not after I got a separate fridge for grains Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very much in accord with the thinking of the OP regarding likelihood of discovering undesirable living entities within lenses having unknowable provenance.

I have yet, however, to experience any sort of fungus crawling out of my lenses. I wish it would; life would be easier if it did.