Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adaptall (rear) lens caps
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Adaptall (rear) lens caps Reply with quote

I have raised this issue prior on this forum, but not recently. Last time a number of workarounds were illuminated. But I'm wondering if anyone has found a source, with luck in China, for these caps.

When you try on eBay, only things coming up are rear caps for Adaptall lenses WITH adapters affixed:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=tamron+adaptall+cap&_sop=15&_osacat=625&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xtamron+adaptall+rear+cap.TRS1&_nkw=tamron+adaptall+rear+cap&_sacat=625

These brand-specific caps are worthless. What I'm seeking is rear lens caps for Adaptall lenses WITHOUT an adapter present.

It's funny, I recently bought an Adaptall 2 lens without an adapter but with the original clear plastic Tamron rear cover. The lens was OK. But I bought it as much for that rear cover as for the lens itself. Those covers are as scarce as hen's teeth. And nobody in China seems to realize how desperately we need a supply. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Tamron lenses, with the mount removed can use a Canon EOS body cap on the back of the lens. Tamrons with a rear element that protrudes from the lens have to use the genuine rear cap.
If I see adapters with the clear covers at the camera fair I just buy them regardless of what they fit or how many I already have, it's easier to sell the mount than buy genuine rear caps.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lloydy. Yes, I have been using the Canon caps for several years now where possible. I've even drilled out one or two of those and tried to jury rig a bit of extra length near the center, for those lenses requiring such a modification.

Really I was hoping that by now another forum member might have discovered a source for the real thing, when it comes to Adaptall rear caps. My goodness Adaptall lenses are out there by the tens of thousands!

You know, Lloydy, it's funny. Within the last year I put to rest all analgous problems with my T4 and TX lenses. A seller in another state sold me at low cost a large number of brand new (TX) m42 adapters, which (as things worked out) function well with both types of lens (T4 or TX). This solved my cap problems, as I simply fitted all my T4 (even the Soligors!) and TX lenses with the TX/m42 adapters, then finished things off with readily-available, inexpensive, m42 caps.

But with the Adaptall lenses things are different. The m42 adapters cost circa US$10 each! Perhaps what I should do is contact a Chinese adapter seller and try to negotiate a lower price for a quantity purchase. While I've not abandoned all hope, it appears as if Adaptall rear caps will never become available.

Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many Tamron Adaptall lenses do you own?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:

Hi, Edgar. Really I don't have an exact count. I would guess between twenty and thirty. And of course with a bit of luck that number will be growing! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

Hi, Edgar. Really I don't have an exact count. I would guess between twenty and thirty. And of course with a bit of luck that number will be growing! Wink

OK. I understand now why you need a low cost option for rear caps! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have quite a few Tamron lenses as well, but I've also picked up quite a few adaptall-2 mounts over the years, so I just leave the mounts on the lenses so I can use the camera lens caps on them. I have only a couple of the rear Tamron caps, so if a lens doesn't have a mount or a cap, I set it on its front and just rest a rear cap on top of it -- any old rear cap will do.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that's what those complicated Canon fd adapters are for.

I googled some and found you can download the rear cap:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2383997

If you can find a place to print it for you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Adaptall caps where clear plastic & rather brittle. I have seen them for sale occasionally but only at silly prices. Adding an adapter can work out cheaper!

This sounds like an ideal job for a 3D printer to me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one next to the 3d one

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that a 3D printer is ideal for just this sort of thing. Perhaps an enterprising soul with one will realize the need.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://simonforsterphotographic.co.uk/collections/new-3d-printed-lens-caps

These are good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

These are good.

Great, just ordered a Tamron rear cap from Simon. Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

These are good.

Great, just ordered a Tamron rear cap from Simon. Thank you!

They are good, a perfect fit and they look good too! Thank you!