Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Sonnar 85 f2.8 versus Leica Elmarit-R 90 f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 90mm Elmarit-R ( E55 filter) as well and I'm very content with its IQ and sharpness. I've paied 300€ for it and I think it deserves every cent - I would buy it again anytime.
I don't have the 85mm Sonnar to be able to make a direct comparison but compared with my 135mm f\2.8 Contax Zeiss Sonnar (I know, apples and oranges...) the Elmarit holds its own very well.

The last member of the Colorplan family is the very rare (and more epensive) Super-Colorplan and, based on reviews (I don't have one), it should be the best Colorplan.
If you intend to use the 90mm lens mainly for portraits a Colorplan could be, as stated before in this thread, a nice and cheaper option.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: 50mm Reply with quote

I have adapted an Epidiascope Elmar (the one with the 4 long focussing pins at the front) to a diaprojector in order to get a larger picture when i cannot get far from the screen.

p

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
I have a 90mm Elmarit-R ( E55 filter) as well and I'm very content with its IQ and sharpness. I've paied 300€ for it and I think it deserves every cent - I would buy it again anytime.
I don't have the 85mm Sonnar to be able to make a direct comparison but compared with my 135mm f\2.8 Contax Zeiss Sonnar (I know, apples and oranges...) the Elmarit holds its own very well.

The last member of the Colorplan family is the very rare (and more epensive) Super-Colorplan and, based on reviews (I don't have one), it should be the best Colorplan.
If you intend to use the 90mm lens mainly for portraits a Colorplan could be, as stated before in this thread, a nice and cheaper option.

Actually I have done some shots using a 90mm Colorplan (not the Super version) lens, as it was the best lens I ever had for slide projections years back. That made me buy another one for photography.

I forgot to publish photos of that, we do soon!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here using the Leitz Colorplan f2.5 90mm

Full set is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums/72157658050401373

Very flatfield, very sharp, excellent balanced high contrast colors, very creamy bokeh....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Most Leica R lenses are nothing special

How on earth would you know? Do you own any? Have you borrowed any? Do you have any firsthand experience at all with them?

Oh no, they have that terrible Leica name and they cost too much. Have you priced them? You know most are a fraction of the price of M glass? You have a clue what makes a good portrait lens? You think bokeh is nothing in that application? For portraits its more critical than sharpness, by far. You do not realize this?

I wish I could say I was surprised at such arrogant ignorance, but it's boringly predictable, Ian.

There's no like button, but you have my Like 1 Sir. I don't post much lately, but happen to read through the forums... Some of the post are pretty ignorant, to say the least.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And which of this do you think is better?:

-Carl Zeiss 85mm f1.4. ZE (Canon)
- Elmarit-R. 90mm f2.8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manufelices wrote:
And which of this do you think is better?:

-Carl Zeiss 85mm f1.4. ZE (Canon)
- Elmarit-R. 90mm f2.8

Better for what? Totally different lenses. If you shoot at medium distances at f8 I think that both lenses will please. None of them will do macro very well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, two versions of the 90/2.8 R Leitz, both outstanding lenses, but the second version is simply one of the best 90s ever made, legendary today in it's M form, but the R should be it's equal.

First version (Puts):
"This first Canadian design for a 90mm lens for the R-system is an excellent performer and shares by the way most characteristics with the Colourplan 2.5/90, which is almost identical. A medium to high overall contrast is coupled to a very even edge to edge definition of very fine detail, that is recorded crisply. Stopping down slowly improves on this quality and at 1:5.6 a very high contrast is reached with a clean recording of very small textural details over a large part of the centre, falling off quite a bit in the outer zones. For best close-up performance one should stop down two stops at least"

The incredible second version:
"In 1980 the Wetzlar designers recomputed the 2.8/90 for the R again and created the best 2.8/90mm ever in the Leica history (R and M). The first series of the R-version have been built in Portugal. The M-version arrived on the market in 1990, and is, even today, one of the best lenses in the Leica M stable. We seem to have reached a temporary platform here and while the new Apo-Summicron-M Asph indicates the future direction as far as design methodology is concerned, an upgrade would not be very cheap."

"At full aperture, overall contrast is high and very fine detail is crisply rendered with only a faint trace of colour fringing and astigmatism over the whole picture area. The previous R-version has lower contrast and softer edge definition and needs to be stopped down to 4 to get comparable performance. At 1:4 the contrast improves visibly and at 1:5.6 we reach outstanding image quality with extremely fine detail recorded with high edge sharpness and good clarity over most of the image field. The edges are slightly softer, but this will be visible only when one needs exacting coverage of small details in the corners at bigger enlargements. After this aperture contrast and edge definition drop due to diffraction. Close-up performance is as good as at infinity. Vignetting is low with half a stop, and distortion just visible. Flare suppression is excellent as coma (among others) is well controlled. As the 4 element lens has no cemented surfaces, Absorban can not be used to control colour transmission and it has to be accomplished with several types of coating layers."

Erwin Puts

Or, you know, as Ian would put it: "nothing special and too expensive."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, which is better in technical aspects?. I want it for portrait and short distances (no macro)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
Yes, two versions of the 90/2.8 R Leitz, both outstanding lenses, but the second version is simply one of the best 90s ever made, legendary today in it's M form, but the R should be it's equal.

First version (Puts):
"This first Canadian design for a 90mm lens for the R-system is an excellent performer and shares by the way most characteristics with the Colourplan 2.5/90, which is almost identical. A medium to high overall contrast is coupled to a very even edge to edge definition of very fine detail, that is recorded crisply. Stopping down slowly improves on this quality and at 1:5.6 a very high contrast is reached with a clean recording of very small textural details over a large part of the centre, falling off quite a bit in the outer zones. For best close-up performance one should stop down two stops at least"

The incredible second version:
"In 1980 the Wetzlar designers recomputed the 2.8/90 for the R again and created the best 2.8/90mm ever in the Leica history (R and M). The first series of the R-version have been built in Portugal. The M-version arrived on the market in 1990, and is, even today, one of the best lenses in the Leica M stable. We seem to have reached a temporary platform here and while the new Apo-Summicron-M Asph indicates the future direction as far as design methodology is concerned, an upgrade would not be very cheap."

"At full aperture, overall contrast is high and very fine detail is crisply rendered with only a faint trace of colour fringing and astigmatism over the whole picture area. The previous R-version has lower contrast and softer edge definition and needs to be stopped down to 4 to get comparable performance. At 1:4 the contrast improves visibly and at 1:5.6 we reach outstanding image quality with extremely fine detail recorded with high edge sharpness and good clarity over most of the image field. The edges are slightly softer, but this will be visible only when one needs exacting coverage of small details in the corners at bigger enlargements. After this aperture contrast and edge definition drop due to diffraction. Close-up performance is as good as at infinity. Vignetting is low with half a stop, and distortion just visible. Flare suppression is excellent as coma (among others) is well controlled. As the 4 element lens has no cemented surfaces, Absorban can not be used to control colour transmission and it has to be accomplished with several types of coating layers."

Erwin Puts

Or, you know, as Ian would put it: "nothing special and too expensive."

I did try all three, if this is all what Leitz can offer that is very poor...
M version was worst experience I did expect quiet a lot for 700 USD , yes was nothing special. Version II was best , but still only Russian Kaleinar level , I did try them at same time.
Version I was okay like M,. none of them was what I love to use 2x.
Sonnar 85mm is my favorite lens, lot more better than these Leitz lenses in every parameters, from sharpness to contrast , price is half vs M lens. pretty much same than R lens.
Leitz 100mm f4 macro lens head what I did keep and stil love it , way better than 90mm f2.8 any.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please, send me some RAWs in order to compare them? Thanks a lot!
I love the sharpness and rendering of Zeiss but I am not sure the CA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila.....+1 Like 1 Thank you! .I am adverse to anyone who claims this is better than that, it is up to owner,if it satisfies them why argue and pretend you know better,Ian has been around quite a while and 99.9% of the time correct.Sorry to see another Leica FAN boy arguing "they are the best". Laugh 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Sorry to see another Leica FAN boy arguing "they are the best". Laugh 1

I don't remember claim one lens was "the best", though I did say one was better for portraits, because of the background handling.

I have bought Zeiss, Canon, Minolta, Olympus, Nikon, Kilfit, Pentax, Kiron, Cosina, Sigma, Leitz and other brand lenses in the last five years.

But when I defend Leitz lenses I'm a Leica Fanboy. Nice.

@ Atilla 700USD for Elmarit-M 90/2.8 (with extendable hood, late version) is unheard of. The lens can still fetch 1700USD. Your copy may have been nothing special, but you think the lens is so famous for nothing? Just a bunch of fanboys?

I tried one and it was a dusty copy, so I returned it, but I did take a shot or two:

L1003663 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1003665 by unoh7, on Flickr

L1003707 by unoh7, on Flickr

that's what it looks like in M mount.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering how great the Sonnar 2.8/85 is and how much it costs (it's often really cheap if it's a QBM mount one) then 1700USD for the Leica alternative is far, far too much to justify in price vs performance terms. The Sonnar 2.8/90 in M mount is pretty much the same lens as the 85, just tweaked slightly for RF use.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general observation I want to point out that there are very often some obvious misunderstandings around. To talk about lenses which are in production since ages and are available in different versions and qualities it should be always clear which version is the one meant in the discussion. Furthermore it may also be that this or that version and/or lens performs differently on different cameras, especially when the discussion is reaching pixel peeping level. Using such a high standard lens on a camera with AA-filter and discussing about ultimate sharpness is ludicrous anyway.

However, particularly the 2nd example from "uhoh7", the man with the red ski cap, is looking extremely good. I like the bokeh very much and the sharpness/contrast is also impressive. Nevertheless, I wouldn't spend 1.700 $ for it. But my old 90mm Elmarit (Version 1959-1974) isn't bad as well. Not as crispy sharp but with similar smooth bokeh what I like very much. For apprx. 300 $ not a bad deal at all.

I cannot say anything about the Zeiss equivalents as those lenses wouldn't make much sense for me anyway for my cameras. Those which may fit (the new ZM ones) are by far too expensive anyway and are mainly also Cosina lenses like my cheaper CV ones. Maybe the are in any respect different or better, maybe not. So what?

I have some Leica lenses and I am very happy with them. Obviously everybody has his own favorites which are different like we all are different and there is still no perfect lens around. Am I therefore a "Leica fan-boy"? I don't think so.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I head earlier lens from M.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I had earlier lens from M.

That explains it. Many others have agreed with you on the early 90. Nice, but "of a period".

My post quoting Puts is very clear about the versions. And a careful reading of the thread will reveal where the M and R coincide. The great version, the last, is generally referred to as Elmarit-M when in M mount (the -M is not used with the early one (no logic), and in R: (II)

It's a totally different lens from top to bottom. In this thread we have discussed both.

I take extreme exception to being called a Leica Fan boy. That's an excuse to dismiss a person's views. There are many many Leica lenses which are unremarkable to me. I think Leica has acted stupidly on many occasions, not least when they invented autofocus, concluded it would never sell and gave it to minolta! The M5 and discontinuation of the CL seem a bit dense.

When it comes to a truly excellent lens, I am a fan. Leica, Zeiss or whoever. ZM 35/1.4? I am a fan. Contax RF? I am a fan. And yes, quite a few Leica lenses, I am a fan. Old projector lenses which can do special things? I am a fan.

Last comment: Money. Money is often bandied about in this forum as if it was an optical attribute. Is it impossible to admire a great lens which is too expensive?

I like a lens based on how it performs.
I buy a lens based on money.

If I mix these two things I will not learn many wonderful things. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is the Biometar 2.8/80, even the old single coated versions are superb lenses. Less than half the price of the Sonnar 2.8/85 for a good MC copy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhoh7,
Money, money, it seems to be an obsession !
Every time there is discussion about Leica, you think that your contradictors have financial problems or a wrong attitude regarding people spending money. Not only you think it but you say it .....
Someone could use such types of stupid arguments for you:
he has to justify the money spent not to feel stupid.
he buys the more expensive because the most expensive is the best.

We lost already a good contributor in the past after a dispute with you because of such rhetorics and then an unbalanced exclusion by the moderation.

I have to add that I have much respect about your feedback on lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:

We lost already a good contributor in the past after a dispute with you because of such rhetorics and then an unbalanced exclusion by the moderation.

Don't blame "Uhoh7" for his rhetoric and watch carefully who was throwing the first stone!

Some people here like to attack or to provoke some others for unknown reasons. Some attacked ones are simply going away and others shoot back. That's all.
I also prefer to shoot back as otherwise I wouldn't be here anymore.

Your rhetoric is sometimes also rather provoking, be it on purpose or not. You know the parable about the glasshouse and the stones?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..some people here think they must preach Erwin Puts because he is the god of lenstesting and are shocked if somebody will disagree

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
memetph wrote:

Don't blame "Uhoh7" for his rhetoric and watch carefully who was throwing the first stone!

Some people here like to attack or to provoke some others for unknown reasons. Some attacked ones are simply going away and others shoot back. That's all.
I also prefer to shoot back as otherwise I wouldn't be here anymore.

Your rhetoric is sometimes also rather provoking, be it on purpose or not. You know the parable about the glasshouse and the stones?

I am agnostic ! Bad luck.
I think you should review again your thread about DDR lenses. You allowed yourself a lot .....

I repeat it once again: in a dispute about a technical issue argueing about the attitude of your contradictors is for me simply to be banned.
It is stupid ,it says more about yourself than about the topic.
Think behavior not attitude, everything will run better in social life.

I have no problem with provocation . It is a sane intellectual process especially on forums .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A general observation about the endless money discussion.

As I used to work internationally my whole life I have very good ideas about the extremely different income situation around the globe. This is an international forum where people participate from all those different environments but share the interest for lenses. As a logical consequence there are sometimes huge differences as to what is to consider as reasonable, cheap or expensive as this mainly depends on the personal situation.

A good example may also be my personal situation when I still was in the working process and earned good money compared to my present situation as retiree. So a lens which was cheap for me some years ago was a lens for less than 1.000 Euro. Above it was rather expensive but never out of reach. However, I also own some rather expensive ones from that times. Nowadays this limit looks totally different, although my pension isn't bad at all and allows me a carefree living even in Austria which is not really the cheapest country on earth.

The difference of the average income alone within Europe is 12 times the lowest compared to the highest (globally much higher), i.e. in Denmark it's apprx. 12 times of the income in Bulgaria (before tax).

Unfortunately the selling prices for our beloved lenses are almost everywhere the same (with some exceptions), particularly since the internet (Ebay) has globalized the market.
The ultimate lens heaven within Europe for new ones used to be always Switzerland for me (highest income and lowest tax). Wink I don't know whether this is still like this.

Some people don't bear in mind those differences when the discussion comes to prices and this is obviously quite often the reason for misunderstandings or even resentments.

Should we therefore limit the discussion on lenses based on their selling prices? Certainly not. However, those of us living in the richer countries should always bear in mind that others may have other financial environments and judgments. This would avoid at least some misunderstandings.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by tb_a on Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:

I think you should review again your thread about DDR lenses. You allowed yourself a lot .....

I repeat it once again: in a dispute about a technical issue argueing about the attitude of your contradictors is for me simply to be banned.
It is stupid ,it says more about yourself than about the topic.
Think behavior not attitude, everything will run better in social life.

I have no problem with provocation . It is a sane intellectual process especially on forums .

Believe it or not: The issue is far more problematic as discussed in this thread. In the meantime documents have been found which show the involvement of highest political circles up to the chancellor/political leader in charge of both countries. Two weeks ago there was a detailed report even in the official German TV (ARD) showing all those criminal business relationships between BRD and DDR. Like it or not. You can't change the history just by denying the truth.

If some folks here don't like to be faced with the truth it's their personal problem but certainly not mine.

And yes, sometimes it may happen that I am loosing somehow my nerves particularly when people don't accept historically proven facts.

Some people also encouraged me to continue to participate in the discussion and I received a lot of private messages because of this. I have to admit that I am sometimes totally loosing any sense of humor if some folks are provoking without any idea of the subject itself. That may be a weak point of my personality. Nobody is perfect. However, I would never attack somebody without a good reason for that; i.e. I am just shooting back and will never throw the first stone. That is certainly not my stile.

So our personalities seems to be obviously very different. I would for instance never say that your behavior is stupid like you've done it here in your message. That's far below the standard of a normal controversial debate between intelligent adult people. Sorry. On such a low level I am not prepared to continue any further discussion with you at this very moment of time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading and postiing on MF Lenses for a good few years but I've become exasperated with the recurrent, pointless denigration and/or nit-picking comparisons of certain lenses - whether it's the $5 Domiplan or the $1700 Elmarit. When I first started visiting the forum the emphasis was on what we could actually do with our old lenses on digtial cameras, not the now prevalent situation with questions like "Which is the best lens for me" or the usually pointless and often aggressive assertion that "Lens X beats lens Y so lens Y isn't good" or "Lens b costs ten times as much as lens c so it's not worth buying".

Are any of us really so blind that we can't recognize that ALL the lenses that get denigrated at different times here are actually wonderful picture making tools? Or that we can choose how we spend our own money? Is it not time to stop regurgitating what others assert and get back to celebrating what we have rather than knockiing what we haven't?

I'm getting old. Maybe it's time I signed off and deleted my MF Lenses bookmark . . .