Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How do you use in body stabilization with zooms?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: How do you use in body stabilization with zooms? Reply with quote

Let's say that you have a Contax 100-300 which you wish to use on a Sony A7Rii. The focal length setting for the stabilization gets a bit problematic. How do you handle it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The safest way is just using the shortest focal length when mounting the lens. Performance of the stabilizer will suffer at the longest focal length, but you won't get extra blur because of OIS overshooting. However, if you tend to mostly use the lens at the long end, it may be worth it to enter your most frequently used focal length to be stabilized. Me, I always enter the shortest focal length and forget it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Pentax, but its the same problem.
Short answers -

- Don't use IS with zooms

- Set focal length to the longest zoom FL in IS, and shoot at max FL. That's what I almost always do anyway.
Trust the IS not to screw up too bad at slightly shorter FL if you have to zoom out for framing.

- Avoid low light at shorter FL.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot K-mount lenses (including a few zooms) with Pentax DSLRs (and all of the current and recent models have built-in "SR", for "shake reduction", as Pentax calls it).

With most older zooms (A series or older), where the body doesn't know the actual FL is (knowing only what is entered by the user at boot up), I usually set the FL for mid-zoom-range. [I figure that I will get at least partial compensation at the long end, and only partial over-compensation at the short end -- YMMV.]

Of course, if I know in advance that I am going to use a zoom at, say, only the long end, then I can set or reset the entered FL to match.

However, with newer zooms (DISCLAIMER -- these are often AF lenses, but I do use them sometimes as MF lenses, so I hope this is not considered flagrantly off-topic here - LOL), where the body instantaneously knows the FL, even as one zooms, there is no need for any user input, since the level of "SR" compensation will be set and reset as needed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the hardest part not what to set it to, but remembering to change it!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions guys! It is funny though that almost every possible way has been recommended Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you want the shake reduced most at the highest magnification, which should be at maximum focal length and minimum focal distance.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
The safest way is just using the shortest focal length when mounting the lens. Performance of the stabilizer will suffer at the longest focal length, but you won't get extra blur because of OIS overshooting. However, if you tend to mostly use the lens at the long end, it may be worth it to enter your most frequently used focal length to be stabilized. Me, I always enter the shortest focal length and forget it.

+1