Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Staeble Telexon 135mm f/3.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Staeble Telexon 135mm f/3.8 Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Staeble Telexon 135mm f/3.8 Reply with quote

Really nice work. What mount is that in? I collect short teles in exakta mount and zebra livery. Might be something to seek out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good performer, great looking lens and my favourite forum model Razz

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, this one looks as good as the 85mm version is bad. I.e. this one looks really good but the 5.6/85 Telexon is awful.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys, I forgot to mention that these samples are with PP. It is a lens for Braun Paxette, m39 screw mount and 44mm flange focal distance. IQ is like an average 135mm when it comes to sharpness and contrast which is decent as there is many good performers in the 135mm segment. I really like the bokeh on this one, and of course the looks of the lens is very beautiful with zebra pattern on both negative and positive surface. Build quality is good, but the focus is tighter than it should be on my copy.

There are better performers, but most of them not as pretty Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Interesting, this one looks as good as the 90mm version is bad. I.e. this one looks really good but the 5.6/90 Telexon is awful.

Ha ha, you talk about that 90mm Telexon every time I show a different lens for Braun. But you are right, the 90mm is not very good. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks not bad. I have it somewhere, too but wasn*t excited about it. Looks good outside tho.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx, Klaus Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Interesting, this one looks as good as the 90mm version is bad. I.e. this one looks really good but the 5.6/90 Telexon is awful.

Ha ha, you talk about that 90mm Telexon every time I show a different lens for Braun. But you are right, the 90mm is not very good. Wink

Sorry, didn't realise I did!

It's the only Paxette lens I've had, apart from a Staeble Kata 45 that was so badly fungussed and scratched it was pointless to try to use for anything serious.

I do have a few other Staeble lenses, projector ones and repro ones and they are as good as the other makers of their time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few images on my insta using a poor example of a Staeble telexon 135mm on a Sony a7iii if it interests anyone.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKZKS_vrYJb/?igshid=1u5vdqbjel1pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKZDLHCrCQt/?igshid=1lc1asswwvk0z

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKY9tnYrPyf/?igshid=zqib62b79ii3

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKWqULTLphq/?igshid=1jh08ems0uhct

When try to focus on things any further away the resolution seems bad but to be fair to the lens it has fungus damage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious. Since there's some post how much of the color is lens character? I love the color of the images.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice work. I like the rendering of the lens as well. You have been able to achieve a range of effects. The bokeh in the duck pic and the portrait has a distinctive, pronounced texture, while the lantern and pigeon pics have some texture as well, but at a smoother level. As an aside, the new Adobe Camera Raw controls: texture, clarity, and dehaze also have interesting effects on bokeh.

I have one of these handsome lens on the shelf. Based on your impressive results, I will have to try it out again, along with the other Paxette mount short teles: 85 f/5.6 Staebel-Telon and the 90 mm f/3.8 Roeschlein-Kreuznach.

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this one in Paxette and Leica fit. A nice lens indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

There are better performers, but most of them not as pretty Wink

Agreed. I'm keeping my one for that reason alone, and I have other lenses for which the same is true.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a pretty copy of this lens. Mine is clean optically as well. The focus is not stiff, but has a bit of hesitancy through the middle range. It came with the original Staeble front cap but no base cap.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is not just good looking, it works surprisingly well too.
I tried it today, and I had very low expectations because the front doublet has a very visible, uneven separation around the edge.
I's the kind of shiny, rainbow-like cement separation that is quite common on some Voigtlander post WW2 lenses like, for example, the Apo Skopars for repro cameras.
There are sharper 135mm lenses, of course. Considering its age it works great, though.
I have a couple of uncommon Paxette lenses. Their register had always been a problem, cause using a simple M39>M42 doesn't allow to reach infinity on a DSLR.
Now I have an old A7 II, and today I remembered I had a set of M39 soviet extension tubes lying in some drawer. I can confirm what I read online: using the medium sized among the old M39 extension rings gives the exact register to reach infinity, using the ring as an extension on top of a normal M39>Sony E-mount adapter.
The wide open performance of this lens has been surprising, especially considering that the separation should heavily affect the image quality wide open.
I had already tried the bokeh using my Pentax K-1, with some good results. Now I can shoot at infinity, too Smile
Will try the lens outside in the next days.

Cheers
Paolo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:
This lens is not just good looking, it works surprisingly well too.
I tried it today, and I had very low expectations because the front doublet has a very visible, uneven separation around the edge.
I's the kind of shiny, rainbow-like cement separation that is quite common on some Voigtlander post WW2 lenses like, for example, the Apo Skopars for repro cameras.
There are sharper 135mm lenses, of course. Considering its age it works great, though.
I have a couple of uncommon Paxette lenses. Their register had always been a problem, cause using a simple M39>M42 doesn't allow to reach infinity on a DSLR.
Now I have an old A7 II, and today I remembered I had a set of M39 soviet extension tubes lying in some drawer. I can confirm what I read online: using the medium sized among the old M39 extension rings gives the exact register to reach infinity, using the ring as an extension on top of a normal M39>Sony E-mount adapter.
The wide open performance of this lens has been surprising, especially considering that the separation should heavily affect the image quality wide open.
I had already tried the bokeh using my Pentax K-1, with some good results. Now I can shoot at infinity, too Smile
Will try the lens outside in the next days.

Cheers
Paolo

I started collecting Paxette lenses when they where dirt cheap. Some of them are quite good performers. Looking forward to your results with it!