Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 20mm f/4 and Sony A7ii
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Nikkor 20mm f/4 and Sony A7ii Reply with quote

The compact, and plenty sharp Nikkor 20mm f/4 works very well on the Sony A7ii. Made a few shots of New England fall color on a walk along an abandoned rail line.

Most of these were shot at f/11 and hyperlocal distance. I used a Tiffen enhancing filter, but I forgot the lens hood at home - shame, as I did get some flare. Raw files were adjusted for exposure and contrast in ACR.

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed May 11, 2016 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Impressive results.

Which filters did you use?

Thanks! I used a Tiffen 512 Enhancing Filter. It was my standard fall foliage filter in the film days before Photoshop. From the Tiffen website:

The Tiffen "ENHANCING Filter" is a combination of rare earth elements in glass. It completely removes a portion of the spectrum in the orange region. The effect is to increase the color saturation intensity of certain brown, orange, and reddish objects by eliminating the muddy tones and maximizing the crimson and scarlet components. Its most frequent use is for obtaining strongly saturated fall foliage. The effect is minimal on objects of other colors.

See here: http://www.tiffen.com/enhancing_filter_pics.htm

All the best,

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting results. Though, I think that can be achieved also by some digital tweaking afterwards.
I have a rather huge collection of PS plug-ins e.g. from TopazLabs and some others which includes also some "autumn" filters and different "color pops" which are resulting in quite comparable effects.
I've still not tried all of them....

Actually I don't use any optical filters on digital for that reason anymore, besides some special ones like e.g. ND-filters or polarizing ones.

However, it's most probably mainly a matter of taste and old habits as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed May 11, 2016 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rich colors are beautiful - and I like flare! Nice shots!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shots, my type of colour and vibrance,but as Thomas stated and like him I have many many PP software filters like Flaming Pear, Topaz,Nik,Image tricks,ON1 and of course full suite of Photoshop CC 2015 and Lightroom and at home I can spend as much time as needed to achieve the clients wishes.Much easier than wondering if the lens I have on camera or with me will provide right colour or contrast all I need to know is that it will produce sharp images providing I manage to focus correctly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all for the kind words. I too have the Nik collection and a bunch of plug-ins from Topaz labs, but i still have a drawer full of filters and that Nikkor has that nice, small, 52mm filter thread..... Wink

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed May 11, 2016 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Filter <-> Postprocessing

In my experience yes and no.

Yes: you can shift the raw data from an image in amazing ways and as long as your shifts are below a certain threshold they do not materially degrade image quality.
That takes care of about 85% of traditional filters. (there are some that can not at all or only with insane amount of work/processing power be replicated.)

No: Shift too far and you image(data) falls apart with bad banding and other nasty effects. If I want to shift extremely I like to get a head start and shift the original data already in the right direction.

bernhardas, that would be worth to discuss in a separate thread as there really is no simple answer.

I am thinking about..... Wink