Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron rubber
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Tamron rubber Reply with quote

What was going on when Tamron were sourcing the materials to construct the adaptall 11 lenses...
It seems every time I see a lens I fancy, the focus ring rubber is hanging around the body like a pair of oversize underpants or the zoom ring rubber is bulging out like a life bouy

I get around this by buying doner rightoffs and taking the rubber off them but its such a shame that great lenses like the 01A 35-80 for example are presented for sale with these old foreskinesque rubber grips hanging off them when everything else about the lens is so superb. I suppose visually it disguises the quality of the actual lens (and we get bargains) but if Tamron had gotten this simple material sourced properly, these lenses could have appeared even better.

Makes yer blood boil don't it Wink

Just thought I'd have a minor rant Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron rubber Reply with quote

bychance wrote:
What was going on when Tamron were sourcing the materials to construct the adaptall 11 lenses...
It seems every time I see a lens I fancy, the focus ring rubber is hanging around the body like a pair of oversize underpants or the zoom ring rubber is bulging out like a life bouy

I get around this by buying doner rightoffs and taking the rubber off them but its such a shame that great lenses like the 01A 35-80 for example are presented for sale with these old foreskinesque rubber grips hanging off them when everything else about the lens is so superb. I suppose visually it disguises the quality of the actual lens (and we get bargains) but if Tamron had gotten this simple material sourced properly, these lenses could have appeared even better.

Makes yer blood boil don't it Wink

Just thought I'd have a minor rant Smile

Iirc, there were problems in rubber industry during that period, forcing users to fake & flub...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murphy's law of cosmic convergence means that lenses like this are converging on YOU (for maximum effect).
Only a couple or so of adaptalls that I have handled have been so afflicted, inc the 02B I still have. The early ones with the faux croc rubber, not the dimpled rubber, now that perishes with age more often than not and crumbles off.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a question I've had for a long time but never asked. Is there any source for generic size/pattern rubber tubes or rings that can be purposed for focus rings? I have several lenses that need new rubber, and some are extra small and hard to find replacements for. Has anyone found a source? How about a source for rings already purposed for cameras? Thanks...Ray

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topcor RE lenses have a similar problem, either becoming loose, or hard, brittle, and cracking.
Some of these lenses require the rubber to be removed to service the lens, which can destroy the rubber if it's become hard.
I've seen some lenses wrapped in leather as a replacement, it can actually look and feel quite good.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I buy them cheap, and cover them with leather.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea !
Nice leather.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This "bakelite" front grip version of the Carl zeiss Jena Pancolar 2/50 (I think there are other CZJ lenses with this style).Becomes brittle and breaks off over time.It's a shame because it's such a lovely styled grip.

Could anyone confirm whether its actually made of bakelite? Also would there be away to preserve it...keep it from breaking further?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look like bakelite, or act like it. Bakelite doesn't deteriorate like that.
Most likely some sort of polyethylene which gets brittle as the plasticizers evaporate.
Being exposed to UV also hurts.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks as always for your input. Like 1 small I will have to handle with care as it's already lifting at the break.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a good candidate for 3D printing to me, get it printed whole then cut it neatly in half or quarters and silicon it in place. Perhaps make the joins look part of the design with a bit of judicious champhering??

I bet LLoydy would do that for you for nothing Wink

Steve.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron rubber Reply with quote

bychance wrote:

That has not been my experience.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all the time, but often enough.
Moreso I think with the later rubber ring Adaptamatics.
And quite often with many other makes of the 70's-80's.
I have fixed a couple of the Adaptamatics by trimming them a bit so they fit a bit more tightly and gluing them down with rubber cement.
IIRC someone somewhere suggested heating with a hair dryer to shrink the rubber.
I will let someone else try that and tell us if it works!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo, as a semi permanent measure I'd get a small tube of black rubber mastic - costs about £5 UK - and push a tiny bit into the crack while it is still on the lens. Wipe the excess off with hand cleaner wet wipes while it is still wet and sticky, or put some dish soap on your finger. Wet and slippy will smooth the mastic . The rubber mastic sticks to just about everything like .........very sticky stuff.....We used loads of it at work to seal leaks and stick stuff, it was our emergency bodge of choice Wink The mastic does not set hard, wil not damage the plastic, and would peel off if you wanted to remove it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Wed May 11, 2016 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed bernhardas, that has put me off sigma lenses period! Funny, I just don't even bother to look at them now having dismissed them as crappy construction, probably silly but thats how easy people are put off a brand.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Thanks Dave, there should be something similar over here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Like 1 small Thanks Dave, there should be something similar over here.

Yup, look for "Tiger Seal" in black, fantastic stuff, I've not seen it in small tubes only large cartridges but standard bathroom silicone will also do the job.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
The first generation of sigma AF lenses are even worse.

The plastic material seems to ooze out some black slime, that is very nasty.

Fortunately it is the AF lenses!

Yup. Ran into that same slime on the grip and body of an older Sigma camera. It was very nasty and quite perplexing. Finally put things right using 90% alcohol along with a lot of time, change of cleaning pads, and elbow grease.

It has been a while since I've checked that camera. Need to go back to see if the slime has returned or if I "killed it dead".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of my dozen or so old Af Sigmas has done that, luckily. I suspect it's due to climate - it's rarely warm here but Dubai is rarely cold! Smile