Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soviet non-serial copy(?) of Trioplan 2.8/100, how much ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Soviet non-serial copy(?) of Trioplan 2.8/100, how much ? Reply with quote

Hello.

Remember, I talked about an elder guy, who is crazy lens collector and has a lot of soviet lens with serials like 0000001 and ОПЫТНЫЙ (Experimental) on them?

Recently I've visited him and he showed me prints, with very characteristic soap bubble bokeh, found on Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8 I said wow - you got that trioplan lens? he said - "No, I have BETTER one!", so what is it? - I asked, and he showed me the lens, but does not allow to take photos of it.
The lens is not that big, size of average 35mm camera lens, like Jupiter 135/4, but in black color. Also, it has protruding medium part, just like some medium format lens, with built-in shutter, but of course it has no shutter. It has 13 or 16 blade circular aperture, which is changed using lever, not the ring. The labeling on aperture is in decimal, starts with 0 and goes up to 30 (don't remember exactly). Lens is all metal and in M39 mount (I asked about the prints and he said they were taken using Nikon camera, so I guess this lens has proper register distance). Optically, glass condition appears excellent, no scratches fungus etc, but there are some scratches on aperture blades (actually, they look like someone tried to write on them using pencil?). The lens front part has 52 (or 55mm) filter mounting thread and has the following text on it

ТРИПЛЕТ 1 : 2,8 F = 10 см № ОПЫТНЫЙ

Long story short, he wants to sell it, and he plans to put $1000 starting price for it on ebay. He's interested, whenever this will be the correct price?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct price will be 10 Euros.

First, the fact that he does not allow you to take pictures of that lens is a huge red flag. There is no legitimate reason whatsoever for that.

Second, there are plenty of 100 f2.8 triplets, for instance ТРИПЛЕТ-5. It's a projector lens, sells for 4 Euros as of now, for instance, here: http://olx.ua/obyavlenie/obektiv-triplet-5-2-8-100-IDdAQ4W.html

ТРИПЛЕТ-5 is a popular lens to make Frankensteins, you can see one here done by nukemall, who is a member of mflenses btw. http://nukemall.livejournal.com/51555.html . It does produce Trioplan bubbles. All that remains "exclusive" of that $1000 lens is writing on the rim. Well, that's a very easy thing in Russia, the number of fake Leica-Industars and Jupiter-Sonnars is staggering.

Photographically it's worth nothing as those triplets are so wide spread. It might have a value for a collector, in case the buyer decides that it's genuine. For that to happen he would need to see the pictures first.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you might be right. He would have to post photos of actual item on ebay, if he wants to sell it Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can modify any triplet in a couple of minutes to make it produce bubble bokeh like a Trioplan. All you need to do is move the front two elements a little bit closer together.

Buy any cheap 2.8/85 or 2.8/100 projector lens and modify it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
The correct price will be 10 Euros.

First, the fact that he does not allow you to take pictures of that lens is a huge red flag. There is no legitimate reason whatsoever for that.

Second, there are plenty of 100 f2.8 triplets, for instance ТРИПЛЕТ-5. It's a projector lens, sells for 4 Euros as of now, for instance, here: http://olx.ua/obyavlenie/obektiv-triplet-5-2-8-100-IDdAQ4W.html

ТРИПЛЕТ-5 is a popular lens to make Frankensteins, you can see one here done by nukemall, who is a member of mflenses btw. http://nukemall.livejournal.com/51555.html . It does produce Trioplan bubbles. All that remains "exclusive" of that $1000 lens is writing on the rim. Well, that's a very easy thing in Russia, the number of fake Leica-Industars and Jupiter-Sonnars is staggering.

Photographically it's worth nothing as those triplets are so wide spread. It might have a value for a collector, in case the buyer decides that it's genuine. For that to happen he would need to see the pictures first.

+1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
You can modify any triplet in a couple of minutes to make it produce bubble bokeh like a Trioplan. All you need to do is move the front two elements a little bit closer together.

Buy any cheap 2.8/85 or 2.8/100 projector lens and modify it.

+1 as well, but I did try numerous lens , they don't have same fingerprint than Trioplan 100 has , if you really look for exact much other cheap solutions are not cover it perfectly well.
I am not Trioplan 100 fan boy, I had at least three times always sold it, after a short time ... so I don't say it because I love this lens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for suggestions, but I'm not interested in such sparkly lens bokeh at all. I like smooth bokeh, like Sony/Minolta STF 135 provides.