Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 36b versions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Jupiter 36b versions? Reply with quote

First thread, joined the forum because I just bought an A7s and want to learn more about older glass. I know Mamiya 645 glass pretty well, and a little about FD, but thats about it.

I've been looking for a 200/250ish prime to use for wildlife and outdoor action sports (skiing and mountain biking) and the Jupiter 36 keeps coming up. The sample images from this lens that I can find make it look like a solid performer, and the Bay prices are pretty tempting. There seems to be two versions, one with a slightly less exaggerated flare toward the front of the body, and one with a very abrupt flare. The focus/iris rings also seem a bit different. My question is are there any optical or build quality differences? I know its a bigger heavier lens, but I actually prefer the extra bulk as I primarily shoot motion (video) with a follow focus/rail setup.

Any input would be appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog Nice to see you here, not very common in use, I don't remember many samples. I always thought heavy , inconvenience to use it due weight , so I did pass it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, Jupiter-36 exist with Б bayonet and B bayonet. Avoid the B, it's Kiev-88 mount, less easy to find adapter. Б is pentacon-six mount, you can find chineese adapters.

All the Jupiter-36 share the same optical caracteristics, and as far as I know, the same coating. But exist two different version, the first version all black with write lettering . Second version with integrated hood and green lettering (sometime red).
You can see photo here http://www.photohistory.ru/1217874735971526.html

Some samples with the first version :

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a later version Jupiter that has multi-coating but it's VERY difficult to find. The lens is labeled as an "MC Arsat" (there are plenty of regular "Arsat" 3.5/250s but those are not it) and the coating is a distinct bright green/reddish/purple as opposed to a pale blue/gold.

Arsenal did away with the traditional Soviet names in the early '90s and multi-coated a couple of their accessory lenses that had always been single coated. The Mir (Arsat) 3.5/45, the Zodiak (Arsat) 3.5/30, and the Jupiter (Arsat) 3.5/250 all got short MC production runs. As far as I know, the normal Mir 3.5/65 did not, but there are special shift versions that got the MC treatment.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thank you so much for your responses! As far as finding the mc version, I'm not worried about it because I'm a bit of a flare junkie. So I guess it really comes down to what I can get a better deal on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the Tair 4.5/300. Big, bulky, heavy, but an excellent performer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I've had 300mm glass in the past, and it always felt an awkward focal length for how I shoot. Unless I could score on a FD 300mm 2.8 or Ai-s 300 2.8, but killer deals on either of those lenses seem few and far between.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it would be worth getting hold of a 2x teleconverter, and use it with a 135mm lens... it's an option anyway!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a difference in the aperture blades that is worth making note of. Arsenal used copper blades up until the early 1980s. After that they became a more typical grey. The copper blades are absolutely beautiful looking (I specifically collected a set of pre-'80 lenses for this very reason) but they're fairly shiny which could mean they would reflect a lot of internal light. I never saw much of a difference though optically. If you're into flare, maybe it's worth checking out. They might create a special light "bloom" in certain circumstances.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
There is a difference in the aperture blades that is worth making note of. Arsenal used copper blades up until the early 1980s. After that they became a more typical grey. The copper blades are absolutely beautiful looking (I specifically collected a set of pre-'80 lenses for this very reason) but they're fairly shiny which could mean they would reflect a lot of internal light. I never saw much of a difference though optically. If you're into flare, maybe it's worth checking out. They might create a special light "bloom" in certain circumstances.

Glad you mentioned that; I have a thing flare and sunbursts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoryBreaux wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I've had 300mm glass in the past, and it always felt an awkward focal length for how I shoot. Unless I could score on a FD 300mm 2.8 or Ai-s 300 2.8, but killer deals on either of those lenses seem few and far between.

These are the MF 300 gold standard, I think. The FD L model is already horrible white, so I went for the Nikon 300/2.8 AIS EDIF. They are both spectacular wide open, which means you can easily hand hold at a fast shutter speed. I never use a tripod with mine.

Wagon Wheel by unoh7, on Flickr

it's 2500 grams, and of the 5 300s I've tried it's the first I love.

300/2.8 ais by unoh7, A7.mod

This one was 625USD on ebay a few weeks ago, a steal as fas I'm concerned. Smile

Bright Spot by unoh7, A7.mod

BTW the AI version was the first "ED" from Nikon Smile

The Jupiter 36 does look pretty cool Smile At that price you can't go too far wrong, and it looks really nice in the samples above. I never even heard of it, good job on the research. Most seem to be in the former USSR, which means they are very hard to return if you need to. I would try to find one in your country. Or perhaps some here know very reliable sellers in the east.

Congrats of the A7s! You don't need a fast lens with that camera Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
DoryBreaux wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

These are the MF 300 gold standard, I think. The FD L model is already horrible white, so I went for the Nikon 300/2.8 AIS EDIF. They are both spectacular wide open, which means you can easily hand hold at a fast shutter speed. I never use a tripod with mine.

Lenses can never be fast enough! MORE LIGHT!!! Lol Mr. Green Mr. Green

I was set on a Nikkor or FD 300mm 2.8 until I realized I wanted more reach (had the 300mm f4 L IS for my 7D, amazingly sharp but too slow and not quite enough reach for my liking). I missed out on a mint 600mm 5.6 FD that had been converted to EOS, it sold for $650 on fleaBay. I'm kicking myself for not jumping on it, as it seems that they usually are listed between $1500 and $3000 without conversion. Ultiamtely I would like to get a rehoused 150-600 FD (the cine rehousing is costly but makes it a dream to use, allegedly). I may pick up the Jupiter and the Mamiya 645 500mm 5.6 as I could also use it with my 645E.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoryBreaux wrote:
uhoh7 wrote:
DoryBreaux wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Lenses can never be fast enough! MORE LIGHT!!! Lol Mr. Green Mr. Green

I was set on a Nikkor or FD 300mm 2.8 until I realized I wanted more reach (had the 300mm f4 L IS for my 7D, amazingly sharp but too slow and not quite enough reach for my liking). I missed out on a mint 600mm 5.6 FD that had been converted to EOS, it sold for $650 on fleaBay. I'm kicking myself for not jumping on it, as it seems that they usually are listed between $1500 and $3000 without conversion. Ultiamtely I would like to get a rehoused 150-600 FD (the cine rehousing is costly but makes it a dream to use, allegedly). I may pick up the Jupiter and the Mamiya 645 500mm 5.6 as I could also use it with my 645E.

Keep a lookout for AI-P 500/4. Very fast for a 500, 3000 grams, and it's considered pretty much unbeatable. Gorgeous bokeh and very good with teleconverters. I had to pay 1600, but that was for a real nice one with the big hard case, etc. They will come up naked and go for as little as a grand or even less. I think I mentioned the AIS 300/2.8 EDIF was 625, which I thought was pretty good Smile