Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Pentax-A 28mm/F2.8 on APS-C
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: SMC Pentax-A 28mm/F2.8 on APS-C Reply with quote

Today I've tried my 28mm Pentax lens on my Ricoh GXR-M, it's not usable on my FF camera. However, the beauty of APS-C is still that it uses the better center of the lenses and when I don't intend to produce billboard like posters I still prefer to use APS-C over FF therefore. Furthermore I am still not sure whether the 24MP/FF sensor with anti-alias AKA blurring filter is producing really better pictures than my 12MP/APS-C camera without that filter. Finally the smaller camera is more fun to take around and the focus aid of the Ricoh is still unbeaten.

All pictures have been shot RAW and some of them are exposure corrected in LR during conversion. Apart from that only downsized for presentation.
I have included the usual test motives to show the bokeh rendering and proneness to flare or CA's. The infinity shots are stopped down to F5.6. Most of the pictures are shot wide open at F2.8. It's visible anyway. A universal lens shade was used (49mm filter diameter).

The specification and pictures of the lens can be found here:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-28mm-F2.8-Lens.html

The example pictures:

A comparison from yesterdays shooting with the Super Takumar 50/1.4 (apprx. 45 cm MFD), both fully open:

And same subject with the SMC-A 28/2.8 (apprx. 30 cm MFD) under slightly different light conditions from today:

It goes without saying that the fast 50 mm lens delivers the far better bokeh. Actually I love the bokeh of the old Super Takumar. No bubbles or other nervous artifacts! Wink

However, all in all I am really satisfied with the results of the 28 mm lens and there are barely any shortcomings. The CA test shot (leaves against the sky) showed some light traces of CA's, i.e. purple fringing but this goes away when stopped down by only 1 stop. However, it can easily be removed during PP as well. Apart from that I didn't encounter any shortcomings and it really delivers what it should do. Even tack sharp pictures from edge to edge for infinity landscape shooting. It's generating an angle of view comparable to 42 mm on FF and is therefore a nice "normal lens" on APS-C. The very short MFD of apprx. 30 cm allows close and big views without additional accessories.

Finally I would rate this lens as very recommendable and useful. It may still be available for below 100 Euro which is more than reasonable for the quality it delivers.

Comments are welcome.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really enjoyed the rendering on my A 28/2.8.
I much preferred my Rokkor 28/2.5, and my Leica M 28/2.8 Elmarit V2, also my SMC K 28/2 & X-Fujinon 28/1.9.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I never really enjoyed the rendering on my A 28/2.8.
I much preferred my Rokkor 28/2.5, and my Leica M 28/2.8 Elmarit V2, also my SMC K 28/2 & X-Fujinon 28/1.9.

I don't know yet. I still have to compare it to some others of my 28 mm lenses from Minolta, Pentax, Voigtländer, Topcon, etc...

I will see where it will finally end up in my personal ranking, though just single judged without direct comparison I still would rate it very good. Wink
The tendency to create a bubbling bokeh is a little bit annoying. That's right.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots and post. I recently just sold my copy... I really like the sharpness and ergonomics, but the bokeh was bothering me. I also seemed to miss focus quite frequently -can't explain why. I did a direct comparison with my Nikkor 2.8/28 and Zuiko 2/28, and saw no reason to keep it around. However, I do think it's a great lens when stopped down for landscapes like the wine bottle picture. But I often also shoot isolated subjects the Zuiko 2/28 is just too good in that regard.
Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: SMC Pentax-A 28mm/F2.8 on APS-C Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

focus aid of the Ricoh is still unbeaten.

Cheers,

Really a feature most missed in Sony , specially the highpass filter like Focus aid.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@StillSanj

Thank you. I figured out that the lens is focusing past infinity on my PK to Leica-M adapter. That maybe a reason for missing the focus. I don't really know whether this is caused by the adapter or the lens itself. However, I may test that with my Pentax DSLR to be absolutely sure. To be honest, 28 mm on APS-C was never my preferred focus length. Therefore I don't use those lenses on regular basis. Actually I used this lens the first time at all, though I have it for more than 5 years already.... Wink
I normally rather take the Voigtländer 28/1.9 LTM lens for my Ricoh.

@raay04

Well, I can live with the shortcomings of Sony as I take the Ricoh instead. I use the NEX only for extraordinary lenses where no Leica-M adapter is available and prefer to use the Sony A850 with Minolta AF lenses which are generally excellent performers for this FF camera. It doesn't really make much sense for me to use MF lenses on my A850 for serious shooting.
Actually I don't believe that there ever will be any "one size fits all" camera, therefore I have different cameras for different purposes. Its anyway a very bad business to sell a used digital camera which has been bought new, therefore I keep them all.

Cheers,