Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

bent filter thread
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: bent filter thread Reply with quote

I bought this lens in this condition of the filter thread
How to fix this?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only fix for this that I can suggest is to drill/grind that section of thread out.
Normally filter threads are bent inwards a bit and it is possible to judiciously bend them back out again - there are some discussions on the how to here on mflenses. But this downward ding - SOOL!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have machined damage like that off, there's usually enough thread to be able to loose a couple of threads. Without a lathe I would use wet and dry abrasive paper on a sheet of glass, steel or any hard flat surface and gently abrade the damage back. If the glass is close to the front edge use decoraters paper masking tape on the glass, the adhesive isn't strong enough to damage the coatings.

I have also scraped - chased a damaged thread clean and back into some kind of shape with the blade of a craft knife, the angle of the blade nearly matches the angle of the thread. This is slow, and there's the risk of the knife slipping, it's not the easiest option but it can work well.

If the thread is restored to some kind of good shape but it still requires some force to screw anything in I use a step ring and leave it in place. The go between common sizes so a 49mm lens becomes a 52mm. I've used a step ring on a badly damaged filter thread by removing the damaged portion of thread out completely, but leaving the outer shell of the lens intact, and then gluing a step ring in place, use a non hard setting glue so it can be removed if necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happen to me to think about this tool:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neewer-Pro-DSLR-Camera-Lens-Vise-Tool-Dent-Filter-Ring-Adjustment-Symmetric-Dent-/261982710916?hash=item3cff62ec84

Maybe it can help.

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have also scraped - chased a damaged thread clean and back into some kind of shape with the blade of a craft knife, the angle of the blade nearly matches the angle of the thread. This is slow, and there's the risk of the knife slipping, it's not the easiest option but it can work well.

this was my way

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:
It happen to me to think about this tool:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neewer-Pro-DSLR-Camera-Lens-Vise-Tool-Dent-Filter-Ring-Adjustment-Symmetric-Dent-/261982710916?hash=item3cff62ec84

Maybe it can help.

Cheers,

Renato

Thanks for the hint. Just bought it as it's looking promising. It's also available via Amazon, though a little bit more expensive but without shipping charges (Prime).
So I will get it tomorrow. Wink
Will report back about its usefulness. I think I have at least 3 lenses with filter thread problems.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Neewer" filter ring repair tool is very nice and handy. All of my dented filter rings have been repaired within a few minutes and are all usable for filters again. Wink
Sorry, was too lazy to make some before and after pictures.....

BTW, the handling is absolutely foolproof. It worked for filter ring diameters from 37mm up to 55mm and even restored the damaged thread on one lens by turning the tool clockwise and backwards when tightened not too strong to still enable some movement.

Here is the specification of the tool: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J5F72AC?gwSec=1&redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_p421_d48_i1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks for the feedback, next month I'll try out the same model,

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the tool is also quite helpful to disassemble the front element from the lens when it's just screwed in like e.g. the Topcor 9cm LTM lens.
I've cleaned this lens internally by using this method. So it's actually a "multi purpose" tool. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tool!
I bought one too from china with free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191697118381?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT