Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How bad is this Trioplan fungus?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: How bad is this Trioplan fungus? Reply with quote

Hey guys. I found a trioplan and primagon m42 lens for sale. I offered the lady $300 and she came back to me and said that she found out they have fungus, so she is asking how much I would be willing to pay now. I think that means she's willing to take less than 300. Now, it's a m42 2.8/100 trioplan, but the fungus is pretty bad. Not sure whether it will still be very noticeable after cleaning.
Can anyone give me an assessment of these pictures?

Does that fungus look etched? Is it still worth taking a risk and if so at what price? Any outside opinion would be appreciated to help me figure out how to approach this. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have witnessed approx. 5-10 Trioplans to be serviced this year, many of them having fungus on a certain level (Meyer lenses are like a big dinner for these mushroom bastards), So I probably have something to say about.

• Not cleaned major fungus at the centre of the optics might probably influence the results (sharpness, contrast, softness)

• Your pictured fungus is indeed a major one

• You basically never know how the cleanup will end up, therefore big to huge price drop is totally fair here

• Always let a professional to clean it if you have that option / can afford doing so

• If lucky, the fungus can be almost 100% removed, there will always remain some clues trackable till the end of the life of this item under some circumstances though (not affecting anything)

• If bad luck happens, the fungus might have probably penetrated the coating layers and will be only removable together with the layer = Pyrrhas victory effect; some other method of getting rid of this shit might be relevant here? (UV lamp, microwave Very Happy never yet tested so)

• Generally be extremely aware not to damage the layers, I've seen some Trioplans partly or totally damaged by doing so

I hope this helps, maybe someone will correct me a bit, I always like to learn new things about fungus Very Happy

P.S. buy mine instead Very Happy
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151802217789?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151825639229?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Marek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your input! Yeah it looks pretty major, but also doesn't look that "thick". I am not sure how much to offer, but I believe it might be worth the risk and I have a great serviceman. That is a nice lens you are selling but I already have a kine prewar 2.8/100, in mostly interested in this one for repair and resale. I will see if she will accept a decent offer, I believe I will purchase them and try my luck.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could end up like a bargain or complete letdown (as we Czech say in slang, "provar" Very Happy), nothing between really.

In case coating layers will prove to be damaged (disturbed surfrace with dark holes sometimes looking like spiders) it will be "provar" and you can't determine the layers condition only from photos

I would bet 2:1 for not to be so, but one never knows.