Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44M-7 or Zenitar 50/1.7?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
well enough heard about this Zenitar lens, I just bought one Wink

Wise decision. I don't think that you'll regret it. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Zenitar M and Helios 44M-7 about the same time. I have read those line/mm numbers from different sources but, based on my experience, they don't make sense. The Zenitar (and my copy is multi-coated) is insanely sharp with great color and buttery bokeh. The Helios wasn't bad but no where near the Zenitar in performance. I sold the Helios, kept the Zenitar.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am expecting a super lens in my mailbox after all this positive comments! Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you won't be disappointed Tuzki with lens

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a quick and dirty comparison between the Ultron 50/1.8, the Zenitar 50/1.7 and the Minolta AF 50/1.4 on my 24MP/FF camera Sony A850 at the very critical infinity landscape subject. From my experience those pictures clearly make the differences. Better than any other motive.

To make a long story short: The center of the pictures are as already stated nearly indistinguishable at same apertures where wide open I had to compare Ultron at 1.8 with Zenitar at 1.7 and Minolta at 1.7.

The extreme corners make the difference: Minolta is by far the best especially when stopped down. Ultron second and Zenitar worst (up to F5.6). At F11 I would rate Zenitar second and Ultron worst as the Ultron still shows some minor traces of CA in the corners. CA's are no issues at all with the Minolta or the Zenitar.

The Minolta is like the Ultron a 7/6 lens (but different formula) and the Zenitar only 6/5. That may be the reason why the Zenitar cannot reach better edge performance wide open.

However, what I found rather astonishing was that the Minolta is that good and beating the Ultron in every aspect. I am really glad to have this lens. Wink

If I have some time and motivation I will present the sample images in a separate thread.

BTW, I know it would have been more appropriate to take the Minolta MD 50/1.7 instead but unfortunately I cannot use it on my FF camera.

Finally it should be mentioned that if those lenses are used either on APS-C or even MFT the differences will be minor or will disappear at all. That should also be clear.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo,

The MD 50mm 1.7 is a 7/6 formula ? I think only the Ultron has 7 elements.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenitar 50 1.7 is all about the current copy Smile. My current copy is the sharpest I have tried till now. Pretty close to Canon FDn 50 1.4 which is a sharp 50mm. Even in corners.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
Hallo,

The MD 50mm 1.7 is a 7/6 formula ? I think only the Ultron has 7 elements.

Who said that?

The MD 50/1.7 is like the Zenitar a 6/5 lens, BUT the tested Minolta AF 50/1.4 and the Ultron have both 7 elements in 6 groups.

The reason for my comparison was to find out how the Zenitar compares to other excellent lenses and the Ultron was tested to be the best MF lens of the 50mm primes below F2 and above F1.5 (Colorfoto 1981). That was a good opportunity to test the "reference lens" against my Zenitar (my copy is from 1983) AND the Minolta AF 50/1.4 (built slightly later). FYI, I have no other Minolta lens in 50mm that would fit on my Sony A850. Minolta SR (MC/MD) lenses are not usable on that camera. I didn't see any reason to take any of the Helios 44 variants I have as it was already clear for me that they would be worse compared to the Zenitar. To include the Minolta AF lens was just for my personal interest as I have never tested it against any other lens directly before.

I hope everything is clear now. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simbon4o wrote:
Zenitar 50 1.7 is all about the current copy Smile. My current copy is the sharpest I have tried till now. Pretty close to Canon FDn 50 1.4 which is a sharp 50mm. Even in corners.

Stopped down my Zenitar comes pretty close to my Minolta AF 50/1.4 as well, even in the corners. However, wide open on FF the Zenitar sharpness suffers clearly visible in the extreme corners and fails to deliver usable landscape pictures at infinity. I don't know anything about the optical quality of the Canon lens as I don't have one.
For practical use this is not so important as nobody would do landscapes at F1.7 anyway. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and Volna 50\1.8....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenitar-M 1.7/50

It performs much better than my 2 Helios.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

nmarsollier wrote:
Zenitar-M 1.7/50

It performs much better than my 2 Helios.

(First post spam filter)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome nmarsollier! Bravo heart-shaped highlight & beautiful rose,