Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question about Vivitar/tokina ATX 90/2.5 macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Question about Vivitar/tokina ATX 90/2.5 macro Reply with quote

Hello folks , i have a question regarding the famous 90mm lens. The lens does 1:2 natively and with the added extender does 1:1 . now my question is about the extender , Unlike other 2x TCs the extender has only 3 elements , so my question to people who own both lens and extender is " __________
Is it a 2x tc , that is does it increase the focal length of the lens or is ita special extention tube with elements to correct the final image??" and the extension provides the required 1:2 to 1:1 magnification?? Because from the size it looks like 50mm in length.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about Vivitar/tokina ATX 90/2.5 macro Reply with quote

raay04 wrote:
Hello folks , i have a question regarding the famous 90mm lens. The lens does 1:2 natively and with the added extender does 1:1 . now my question is about the extender , Unlike other 2x TCs the extender has only 3 elements , so my question to people who own both lens and extender is " __________
Is it a 2x tc , that is does it increase the focal length of the lens or is ita special extention tube with elements to correct the final image??" and the extension provides the required 1:2 to 1:1 magnification?? Because from the size it looks like 50mm in length.

i have tokina with matching macro at-x extender that makes it go 1:1 and while the extender is on the lens you can't focus to infinity. when set at infinity mark it's focused at about 30cm (estimation, not measured exactly)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about Vivitar/tokina ATX 90/2.5 macro Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:

raay04 wrote:

i have tokina with matching macro at-x extender that makes it go 1:1 and while the extender is on the lens you can't focus to infinity. when set at infinity mark it's focused at about 30cm (estimation, not measured exactly)

It seems as if the 1:1 Adapter/Extender (Vivitar and Tokina uses different terminology for the item in question) is both an extension tube and perhaps a field flattener (i.e., the glass is ostensibly for minimizing optical aberrations). In any event, it is not a 2X TC.

EDIT: The info from a Vivitar ad gives some detail (most of the second column of text is about the 1:1 Adapter), but the Tokina brochure is less informative:

Last edited by fwcetus on Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks, i thought so ,, Now can anyone tell me if hey have used this Extender with other macro lens , such as the Tamron sp 90/2.5 Adaptall??

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raay04 wrote:
Thanks folks, i thought so ,, Now can anyone tell me if hey have used this Extender with other macro lens , such as the Tamron sp 90/2.5 Adaptall??

tamron 90mm has it's own flat field macro converter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:

tamron 90mm has it's own flat field macro converter

I know , but just asking if anyone has matched this two together.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raay04 wrote:

Maybe , this is designed for this lens. Tamron extension a simple tube only.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my Series 1 adapter with other lenses to good effect. Here is one from Series 1 200mm and the 1:1 adapter...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Thanks woodrim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleeeese Raay, don't always quote pictures that have just been there, that makes no sense. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Pleeeese Raay, don't always quote pictures that have just been there, that makes no sense. Thanks!

Okay

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: adapter question Reply with quote

my question if the extender changes the magnification from 1.2 to 1.1. so if I mount a tokina that is 1.1. would that not change the magnification to 2.1. using this adapter. I am just wondering like to know

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: adapter question Reply with quote

rockycarter wrote:
my question if the extender changes the magnification from 1.2 to 1.1. so if I mount a tokina that is 1.1. would that not change the magnification to 2.1. using this adapter. I am just wondering like to know

Look , from this discussion and from my travels through the internet its pretty clear that the extender is actually a extension tube with field flattening/correcting elements . Now as it is a extension tube and NOT a TC the amount of magnification it gives depends on the focal length of the lens . According to calculations http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/choose-the-right-size-extension-tube.html a 50 mm focal length normal lens ( not macro) can give 1:1 macro magnification with 50mm extension tube set at infinity. As the tokina atx 90mm does have native 1:2 macro capability so the length of this tube is 45mm. so if the lens which you are talking about( 90mm focal length)to be precise has 1:1 capability by itself is used with the tube then magnification will increase 50% , that is 1.5:1 . to get 2:1 mag with 90mm 1:1 lens you need 90mm extension tube.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is universally true. I have a Canon nFD 100mm f/4 macro with its dedicated extension tube for 1:1 and the extension tube is roughly only 50mm in length. Definitely nowhere close to 100mm. I can measure its precise dimensions if you want. But you can also google the lens and see images of it with its 1:1 for yourself.

I found one:

Canon's extension for the 100mm macro is called the FD 50-U and I'm guessing that 50 = 50mm.

I'm thinking that, if you don't already have this extension for your Tokina/Vivitar macro, you might be huntng for quite some time before you find one. So, in the mean time, you'll most likely get by just fine with a set of extension tubes (or a bellows) for your macro lens -- until you finally find a dedicated extension.

As a purely practical matter, however, I have found that I rarely need the additional magnification that a 1:1 adapter -- or a 1:1 macro lens -- provides. My current digital camera has enough megapixels where I can enlarge and crop just fine without any loss of detail, such that I rarely if ever shoot at 1:1. Unless I'm specifically looking for a very high magnification shot, in which case I'll often use a bellows or the old trick of mating two lenses of dissimilar focal lengths together with an adapter ring.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I used my Series 1 adapter with other lenses to good effect. Here is one from Series 1 200mm and the 1:1 adapter...

I've never thought to try this, but I will do now! Thanks for the idea Like 1 small

Excellent result too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: lens magnification Reply with quote

thank you raay let me show you. see macro lens I find work great for flowers and bugs. where there is background even if it is blurry. the back ground that is but try to image a coin. I find macro only goes so far. I will share 2 images for you to look at. this is what I look for. I went through many loonie to find this error. I later this year I will put it on ebay. this coin has and extra sail on the ship. it is not suppose to be there. I would love to find a lens that one could mount take photo's plus check coins with instead of a microscope. I am retired now and really like coin collecting. here's the photos the sail is at the end of the red line. with this lens I am not sure of the magnification. but it is lots

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I don't think this is universally true. I have a Canon nFD 100mm f/4 macro with its dedicated extension tube for 1:1 and the extension tube is roughly only 50mm in length. Definitely nowhere close to 100mm. I can measure its precise dimensions if you want. But you can also google the lens and see images of it with its 1:1 for yourself.

I found one:

Canon's extension for the 100mm macro is called the FD 50-U and I'm guessing that 50 = 50mm.

Yeah, that all seems right according to CiC's calculator ?

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/macro-extension-tubes-closeup.htm

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/fdmacro/100macro.htm

lists a 40cm MFD at 1:1 too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

I'm thinking that, if you don't already have this extension for your Tokina/Vivitar macro, you might be huntng for quite some time before you find one. So, in the mean time, you'll most likely get by just fine with a set of extension tubes (or a bellows) for your macro lens -- until you finally find a dedicated extension.

As a purely practical matter, however, I have found that I rarely need the additional magnification that a 1:1 adapter -- or a 1:1 macro lens -- provides. My current digital camera has enough megapixels where I can enlarge and crop just fine without any loss of detail, such that I rarely if ever shoot at 1:1. Unless I'm specifically looking for a very high magnification shot, in which case I'll often use a bellows or the old trick of mating two lenses of dissimilar focal lengths together with an adapter ring.

your canon macro lens has built in extension , cause its a macro lens , it already does 1:2 macro by itself , the optical block extends a extra 50mm by itself , test it against your normal 100 mm lens. Read my post , i clearly said that only in case of a NORMAL focal length lens you need same length tube( lenght same as focal length) to get 1:1 macro magnification , as the canon macro already has built in 1:2 mag ,you just need 50mm more extnsion to get 1:1 , evidently the canon fd 50/3.5 macro has a 25 mm ext tube to get it to 1:1 , the lens also natively does 1:2 . if you dont belive just put you normal 50mm lens on 50mm ext tube and find out yourself

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: lens magnification Reply with quote

rockycarter wrote:
thank you raay let me show you. see macro lens I find work great for flowers and bugs. where there is background even if it is blurry. the back ground that is but try to image a coin. I find macro only goes so far. I will share 2 images for you to look at. this is what I look for. I went through many loonie to find this error. I later this year I will put it on ebay. this coin has and extra sail on the ship. it is not suppose to be there. I would love to find a lens that one could mount take photo's plus check coins with instead of a microscope. I am retired now and really like coin collecting. here's the photos the sail is at the end of the red line. with this lens I am not sure of the magnification. but it is lots

Interesting coin Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that all seems right according to CiC's calculator ?

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/macro-extension-tubes-closeup.htm

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/fdmacro/100macro.htm

lists a 40cm MFD at 1:1 too.[/quote]

Now try the calculator with normal 50mm lens , with native magnification of .15x , add 50mm tube and see the result.