Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ISCO Göttingen Westron 35mm/F3.5 M39/Paxette
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: ISCO Göttingen Westron 35mm/F3.5 M39/Paxette Reply with quote

As I have received my Paxette to M39/LTM adapter today I have made some test shots with this lens which was laying around rather useless for me.
The positive aspect was that the adapter is well made and works correctly at infinity.

The lens surprised me when stopped down. From F8 it's absulutely excellent from corner to corner on APS-C. Wide open the corners are lousy but the center is sufficient sharp.
Maybe this is caused by field curvature of the lens as the corners are looking like out of focus when fully open and focus is on center.
However, samples shot with my Ricoh GXR-M and besides some minor exposure corrections not manipulated during PP.

Infinity landscape at F11:

100% crop of center (F11):

100% crop of corner (F11):

100% crop of center (F3.5):

100% crop of corner (F3.5):

All in all not bad for such a cheap lens, particularly as most of the old wide angles are rather poor in the corners, even when stopped down.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see a "cheap" 1950s wideangle lens at work ! Before anyone slams its pretty woeful performance wide open, I guess that on a 15x10cm print it would have looked pretty good - especially keeping in mind that most amateurs on a moderate budget would have been using enlargers with glassless negative carriers and relatively cheap enlarging lenses for their black and white prints. And contemporary colour prints were never sharp anyway, And most slide projectors had mediocre lenses too Wink So I'm sure it's fair to say it was "reasonably fit for purpose".

Have you got any other Paxette lens output to show us, Thomas?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly, Stephen. Same lens, other output (M39 distance ring used):

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice samples. I have this lens too and it is a beautiful little lens. Mine has a little bit of blooming wide open...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Very nice samples. I have this lens too and it is a beautiful little lens. Mine has a little bit of blooming wide open...

Thank you. Indeed there are some shortcomings wide open but when stopped down it's remarkable sharp. Better than some other 35mm lenses.
BTW, I've used a lens hood to improve the contrast. Without that the flower shots wouldn't have been possible against the light.