Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss lens no helicoid, on NEX?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Zeiss lens no helicoid, on NEX? Reply with quote

some Zeiss Ikon Contax rangefinder lenses do not have any helicoid.
Can they, particularly the Sonnar f1.5/50, be adapted to a NEX, are there any adapters available which include a helicoid?

thank you for any insight,
kuuan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeiss lens, no helicoid on NEX? Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
some Zeiss Ikon Contax rangefinder lenses do not have any helicoid.
Can they, particularly the Sonnar f1.5/50, be adapted to a NEX, are there any adapters available which include a helicoid?

thank you for any insight,
kuuan

Yes ,available , but expensive Kipon make it above 100 GBP it's price.

one example to L39 , you can stack adapters.

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much Attila!

hm..a bit expensive, as I was fearing.

one day I want to get a 1.5/50 or 2/50 'Sonnar' rangefinder lens.
I should start another thread asking about comparison of Contax Zeiss 1.5/50 to Jupiter 3, and Jupiter 3 to Jupiter 8 Wink

best regards,
Andreas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
thank you very much Attila!

hm..a bit expensive, as I was fearing.

I should start another thread asking about comparison of Contax Zeiss 1.5/50 to Jupiter 3, and Jupiter 3 to Jupiter 8 Wink

best regards,
Andreas

Yes Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the full Contax->Nex adapter from Kipon, which is working well enough. However, it wasn't cheap, even though I bought it in a discount offer. External Contax bayonet adapters without helicoid work just as well for every Contax lens except the 50mm normals, and I've seen affordable ones go for less than a fifth of the former.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

There are Leica mount Sonnars (and Sonnar types) as well. Given that the adapter is only needed for Contax 50mm normals, and adds another 150€ or more to the price of the lens, you'll be better off buying a LTM one, unless you already own (or plan to own) a Contax system...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
kuuan wrote:

There are Leica mount Sonnars (and Sonnar types) as well. Given that the adapter is only needed for Contax 50mm normals, and adds another 150€ or more to the price of the lens, you'll be better off buying a LTM one, unless you already own (or plan to own) a Contax system...

thank you very much Sevo!

yes, I am aware that there are LTM versions too, reason I was asking is because just today I saw a Contax mount 1.5/50 for 70 Euro in a shop, so I was curious if it was a good buy.

I guess that in the end I best opt for a J-3 or J-8. What do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
reason I was asking is because just today I saw a Contax mount 1.5/50 for 70 Euro in a shop, so I was curious if it was a good buy.

A genuine f/1.5 Sonnar for 70€ would be a decent deal even for a uncoated one in need of cleaning - and a excellent to amazing deal for a clean coated one. But even given such a good deal, adding in the adapter makes it a 220€+ lens - at least twice the going rate for a LTM (adapted) J-3 or J-8 and adapter, and already in the range where you might stumble across a bargain LTM Sonnar type Tanaka, Nikon or Canon - and the value of the latter will grow (to the point where they might be considered an investment), while there isn't much movement in Contax normals and the value of the (modern) adapter will decrease...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought many Contax and LTM mount lenses both mainly Russians only, due their price level and IQ. I have only one T coated early Sonnar 1.5 with Kiev mount. For 70 EUR just take lens and run, (before shop owner found it how silly to sell this lens only for 70 EUR) Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I bought many Contax and LTM mount lenses both mainly Russians only, due their price level and IQ. I have only one T coated early Sonnar 1.5 with Kiev mount. For 70 EUR just take lens and run, (before shop owner found it how silly to sell this lens only for 70 EUR) Laughing

hu Attila, really? I kind of thought so too...this is why I was asking Wink
it was kind of weird. there were two copies, the shop keeper handed me one, because it's the cheaper, he said. too me it looked like a well working lens, cleaner than the other that sells for double price. blades have lot's of oil, and look good. hm.. I never had handled such a lens before, and most likely I would not buy the adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my experience in general inexpensive Russian RF lenses are stunning performers at F8-F11 and they are small too, perfect for NEX.

My favourites are J8,J9, Industar-22 collapsible, Fed collapsible, J11 ,J12 , J12 is not mountable on any digital camera!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
kuuan wrote:
reason I was asking is because just today I saw a Contax mount 1.5/50 for 70 Euro in a shop, so I was curious if it was a good buy.

A genuine f/1.5 Sonnar for 70€ would be a decent deal even for a uncoated one in need of cleaning - and a excellent to amazing deal for a clean coated one. But even given such a good deal, adding in the adapter makes it a 220€+ lens - at least twice the going rate for a LTM (adapted) J-3 or J-8 and adapter, and already in the range where you might stumble across a bargain LTM Sonnar type Tanaka, Nikon or Canon - and the value of the latter will grow (to the point where they might be considered an investment), while there isn't much movement in Contax normals and the value of the (modern) adapter will decrease...

thank you for your thoughts Sevo.
It's clean and uncoated, but I better get a LTM lens, should find a decent deal for a Jupiter. Do you know, besides speed and I suppose size, what are the differences between J-3 and J-8?

That Nikkor would be sweet..but so must be thinking a few, it's dear..
$ 1800-2500 at this interesting list: http://www.antiquecameras.net/sonnarlens.html
Member uhoh7, of course, has it..

Tanaka!
samples I just saw on the net look great.
from the little I find they must be very rare

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
in my experience in general inexpensive Russian RF lenses are stunning performers at F8-F11 and they are small too, perfect for NEX.

My favourites are J8,J9, Industar-22 collapsible, Fed collapsible, J11 ,J12 , J12 is not mountable on any digital camera!

those collapsibles..whaa, slowly it sinks in, what a NEX can do to you Wink
J8 is in your list, Attila, but J3 is not?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Attila wrote:

those collapsibles..whaa, slowly it sinks in, what a NEX can do to you Wink
J8 is in your list, Attila, but J3 is not?

I just bought a J-3 few days before I don't have any experience with it. collapsible Industar-22 is a damn fine lens. I got way better result with that than collapsible Elmar!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

I just bought a J-3 few days before I don't have any experience with it. collapsible Industar-22 is a damn fine lens. I got way better result with that than collapsible Elmar!

congrats on your J-3!
are Industar-22 collapsible and Fed collapsible different, or nearly identical lenses?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my own Contax/Kiev to NEX adapter.

I took helicoid from broken Kiev and fitted it to plastic NEX body cap, it works perfect with the J-8 I have, hits infinity.

Sadly when I glued helicoid into body cap I used a bit too much epoxy and it glued the helicoid solid so it's now stuck at infinity.

I haven't bothered trying to fix it as I have a M39 J-8 with Red P and the Contax/Kiev J-8 I have is a 1976 model so will be inferior in IQ to the M39 one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I took helicoid from broken Kiev and fitted it to plastic NEX body cap, it works perfect with the J-8 I have, hits infinity...

wow, great Ian!
I want to try this. Which camera should I try to get? What are the names of the Russian Contax copies I should I look out for?
Or does have anyone who reads this an old, broken camera with the correct mount he can sell for cheap?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I took helicoid from broken Kiev and fitted it to plastic NEX body cap, it works perfect with the J-8 I have, hits infinity...

wow, great Ian!
I want to try this. Which camera should I try to get? What are the names of the Russian Contax copies I should I look out for?
Or does have anyone who reads this an old, broken camera with the correct mount he can sell for cheap?

Kiev any , if broken dirt cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
kuuan wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

wow, great Ian!

+1

Get a cheap NEX plastic lens cap and bore out the centre, then the helicoid will just fit (very tight fit) and be careful glueing it in place, unlike I did!

You have to remove the entire front plate of the Kiev, which isn;t too hard, then I ground off the four corners with a bench grinder.

I will take some pics of my adapter if you like.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
kuuan wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

wow, great Ian!

thank you Attila! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Attila wrote:
kuuan wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

wow, great Ian!

+1

Get a cheap NEX plastic lens cap and bore out the centre, then the helicoid will just fit (very tight fit) and be careful glueing it in place, unlike I did!

You have to remove the entire front plate of the Kiev, which isn;t too hard, then I ground off the four corners with a bench grinder.

I will take some pics of my adapter if you like.

thank you Ian for the tips, and eh, if you show photos of your adapter that would be great!
besides a broken KIEV I also must find a good NEX body cap. I take it that you erroneously had written lens cap, it's a camera body cap that I need, right? I had bought one in a set with a lens back cap from China via ebay but it simply does not work, it falls off the camera. Can you point me to a seller who sells good ones?

best regards,
Andreas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is looking for Contax RF to LTM helicoid adapter, I'm offering mine in the Marketplace.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Dick.
I first will try to make one myself, as Ian had suggested.
If I don"t have success and your adapter is still available than I shall come back to you.

so I did go back to the shop today Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! serial number ? red T ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, no red T!
prewar Carl Zeiss Jena, Serial No. 2517495
what does the serial number tell you, Attila?