Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Jena Triotar 4/135mm M42 Re-assembly problem.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:32 am    Post subject: Zeiss Jena Triotar 4/135mm M42 Re-assembly problem. Reply with quote

I recently acquired a Zeiss Jena Triotar 4/135mm M42 from (of course!) eBay. As I expected, I paid next to nothing because the listing warned that the focus was "very stiff" (in eBay vernacular, this translates into "the focus is nearly frozen"). Armed with detailed information from several posts here, I was able to disassemble the rear portion of the lens and clean out the solid gunk on the focus helicoid tubes which was causing the problem. When I started to reassemble what I hoped would turn out to be a usable lens, however, I discovered that I was unable to screw the two helicoid tubes back together. I know these use left-hand threads, but neither left or right hand attempts would do the trick. I very carefully and gently turned the two tubes together and was able to get the threads to apparently drop into place at several different points on the tubes (there are apparently some 14 points where the threads should be able to fit together, although only one--the one I'd marked--would render the lens infinity-capable). No matter what I tried, every time the threads would seem to fall into place, they would lock tight and I could not budge the tubes at all. Has anyone else had this problem? I suspect that I did something wrong, but I don't know what, exactly; I was quite careful to follow other poster's directions, all of which worked perfectly except for this one reassembly point. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated--davida10

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: stuck lens Reply with quote

Davida100 first hello great lens take some pictures of your lens showing the pieces. the few I have taken apart had a tiny set screw. make sure to check that and another one had a little alignment pin. that you had to line up to start. there is a lot of members here that will be able to help you. just take some images and post them. they will help you get the lens back together and working. I will help you if I can . images so they can see where you are at have a nice day.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is your problem or not...
Sometimes, if the alignment is not 100% perfect, the helicoid will bind, keep trying to mate them together, no force should be required, keep an eye out for the guid rail/pins, they require proper alignment before the helicoid can be put together.
The guid rail holds the moving internals in position while you turn the focus ring, this causes the internals to slide in and out.