Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

HELIOS 44-2 looking for information
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: HELIOS 44-2 looking for information Reply with quote

I purchased one of these lens. HELIOS 44-2 M42 58mm f/2.0 Soviet Lens for Zenit Pentax. what I am wondering can some one tell me what is the next larger lense in this line. I am amazed how well this one works. I would like to buy the next larger one. any help greatly appreciated thank you

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: HELIOS 44-2 looking for information Reply with quote

rockycarter wrote:
I purchased one of these lens. HELIOS 44-2 M42 58mm f/2.0 Soviet Lens for Zenit Pentax. what I am wondering can some one tell me what is the next larger lense in this line. I am amazed how well this one works. I would like to buy the next larger one. any help greatly appreciated thank you

MC Helios-44M-7 \ M42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: HELIOS 44-2 looking for information Reply with quote

rockycarter wrote:

next larger one is helios 40-2 85mm/1.5
there is also helios 77 that is 50mm/1.8

for other helios lenses look here for more information:
http://forum.mflenses.com/complete-list-of-helios-lenses-getting-closer-t26100,highlight,%2Bhelios.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 44-2 is probably one of the most sold lenses ever made. In the 70's and 80's anyone who had very little money and wanted an SLR camera bought a Zenit and they all came with the same lens. They must have sold many millions.
Sadly other Helios lenses were never made in the same quantities, so while you can pick up a 44-2 for nearly nothing, expect to pay more for any other Helios lenses in good condition (many are not in such good condition, as the quality control was, to say the least "variable")

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: HELIOS 44-2 looking for information Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
rockycarter wrote:

next larger one is helios 40-2 85mm/1.5
there is also helios 77 that is 50mm/1.8

for other helios lenses look here for more information:
http://forum.mflenses.com/complete-list-of-helios-lenses-getting-closer-t26100,highlight,%2Bhelios.html
Helios-81, Helios-103 Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting RF lenses like the Helios 103 will likely not be of any use to the OP if he's using a DSLR, though it's a good lens.
The next longer standard focal length lens is the Helios 40 and 40-2, they are about $300, so not even close to cheap, though they do have very cool bokeh.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There ia a Helios 135 / 2.8, but it is a Japanese lens, possibly Cosina, that is re branded. It's not a bad lens, but there are plenty better. If you like the Helios 44-2, which is a great lens, and want something in the same class, I would suggest something like the Pentacon 135 / 2.8