Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor(Tamron) 250/4.5 preset t-mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Soligor(Tamron) 250/4.5 preset t-mount Reply with quote

This is the Tamron model FG-45 sold by Soligor

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.tamron.co.jp/data/old-lens/olm250f4_5.htm

This is not one of the easier early Tamrons to find, I think it may be just a bit more common than the really exotic types like the 200/2.8. In the US at least there are a lot more of this series seen under the Soligor brand than as Tamron.

A very conventional preset t-mount lens, this, like the other first generation t-mount types from Tamron, was probably a model for a lot of other Japanese lenses of the 1960's. Soligor certainly sold very similar lenses made by Komine and other makers in later years. 250mm was one of the standard focal lengths of the time.

As for construction, this is a very characteristic example of the first Tamron lenses, it is very well made, nicely finished in glossy enamel, and it manages to be light and sturdy at the same time. This example has a bent filter ring and some scrapes behind the front element, maybe from bad cleaning, but these don't seem to affect performance.

As for performance - I have nothing to complain about. It is reasonably sharp at f/4.5 and can get very sharp stopped down a bit. Minimum focus is reasonable for its age and length at 15ft/5m. I saw no problems with contrast, flare, etc.

I noticed afterwards that a lot of these were shot at ISO 400, not 200, which explains a bit of extra grain. I forgot to reset it after some macro shooting.

The bird - yet another bird, sorry, I had a very "birdy" selection !

crop -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice samples particularly the egret shots, looks a good lens

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks quite decent. And a great set of shots again.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots, especially number 3!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are master of lights! I did enjoy lights much on these pictures!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.3 is a great shot, Luis.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice performer.

The egret shots are really striking. The quality of light is excellent to show this beautiful bird. Looks like your "indian summer" is in swing down there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens.. I like the results...

But I dont live at a place where I can use this... Its all plains here... on the name of landmark, you have land only Sad Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting this old tamron 250mm thread by Luis because I am curious about this lens (pic nicked from ebay ad):

it's clearly a very different lens to the FG45. Any info?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very nice lens for the (current) bid. It does not appear to be a widely held lens, the 400mm version of the same series seeming much more in the spotlight. But the adapter alone is worth the current bid so try for the lens and give it a whirl. One reference I saw indicated this series might be circa 1970's. I dunno, since it's not an automatic lens. Maybe it was a low end series they produced for sale at "popular" price. Regardless, preset lenses today are sought after, and it's a Tamron in nice shape. Seems like a no-brainer to me unless the bidding goes crazy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i was slightly mistaken, that's 200mm not 250mm. but in any case I have now found this page:

http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/T-mount_LensIndex.html

which is in fact linked on the adaptall-2.org home page, just not very noticeably. 200mm f2.8; 3.5; 5.9; 6.3...but not 4.5!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it even made by Tamron?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamron-POPULAR-200mm-f-4-5-prime-lens-M42-T2-Mount-/262050100053?hash=item3d03673355

Doesn't look like any Tamron I know, maybe it was outsourced as a budget priced option - the 'popular' brand could well indicate that. Dallmeyer did this, they sold a line of Popular lenses that were budget versions.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea Ian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Actually i was slightly mistaken, that's 200mm not 250mm. but in any case I have now found this page:

http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/T-mount_LensIndex.html

which is in fact linked on the adaptall-2.org home page, just not very noticeably. 200mm f2.8; 3.5; 5.9; 6.3...but not 4.5!

Acknowledged.

But that reference is clearly to the "sixties" preset lenses. I think your lens is a later series. There are quite a few Google mentions of the 400mm version of Tamron's "popular" series. I did not look at any of those, but one might contain more general information regarding the series itself.

It is an interesting series, not one I have run across prior. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right - like this ref:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/195649-tamron-400-6-3-m42.html

I have seen the identical lens branded eg photax-paragon. I tend to concur with the tamron shipping in some generically available lenses hypothesis and giving them this "popular" label.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys are right - seems to be a non-Tamron product re-branded to fill out some part of a product line.
This probably dates back to when Tamron started really pushing its brand (Adaptamatic days, late 60's-early 70's).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest Luis, do you know how to disassemble the aperture/iris assembly on the 350mm (lens pic here.
As you can see in the pic I have separated the helicoid, there is a collar that allows the focus ring to come off, but then the mount end is a unit with no obvious set screws, collars, .. anything!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples Luis. Are you still running the Soligor page on Flickr? maybe you have some sample from a Soligor I just won on eBay, the 100mm 2.8? I'm going to post a thread with the lens. this Soligor is my very first, and I'm excited to give it a work out.

BTW- I loved that first sample shot of the white flowers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 250mm too, it`s a good lens Wink

More samples here:
http://manuellfokus.no/soligor-250mm-f4-5/