Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD 20mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD 20mm f2.8 Reply with quote

I got this lens yesterday, latest version, I expect superb quality, any experience ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the lens but watched at the forum a test did some years ago: good contrast, very sharp center and soft corners.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I not interest about corners, usually nothing important there, sound is good.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
I don't have the lens but watched at the forum a test did some years ago: good contrast, very sharp center and soft corners.

I had the same experience with MD Rokkor 20/2.8 and plain MD 20/2.8.After a custom test in place I decided not to buy those lenses.They were too soft in corners on the NEX5N,even stopped down to f8-11.As far as my experience tells,the widest WA Minolta MD lens with fairly sharp corners stopped down to f8,on the APS-C ,is MC/MD Rokkor 24/2.8,9/7 lenser.Going wider,soft corners are inevitable.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapencolour wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:

I had the same experience with MD Rokkor 20/2.8 and plain MD 20/2.8.After a custom test in place I decided not to buy those lenses.They were too soft in corners on the NEX5N,even stopped down to f8-11.As far as my experience tells,the widest WA Minolta MD lens with fairly sharp corners stopped down to f8,on the APS-C ,is MC/MD Rokkor 24/2.8,9/7 lenser.Going wider,soft corners are inevitable.

I actually have the 24/2,8 MC-Rokkor X.

Yes, sharp center from f/ 4 to 11. At corners, if you need a sharp one, use f/11.

Good contrast and nice close up images. 3D pics.

It has bad press, but is a good taker pics lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Minolta MD 20mm f2.8 Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I got this lens yesterday, latest version, I expect superb quality, any experience ?

Good resolution but annoying color aberrations, at least on the NEX. I tested against a CV 21/4 recently which was clearly superior.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your feedback, I never use super wide lens bellow F8 ever, they not designed for large aperture shoot at distance I also not shoot close ups with them , so looks like okay to me , small handy just like latest Konica or Olympus Om lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
thank you for your feedback, I never use super wide lens bellow F8 ever, they not designed for large aperture shoot at distance I also not shoot close ups with them , so looks like okay to me , small handy just like latest Konica or Olympus Om lenses.

I use wides in the same way.

Close focus only to try the lens not to take pics.

With the 24/2,8 the CA from f/5,6 is almost negligible at f/8 practically nothing.

It's good to me.

The 20/2,8 perhaps has a similar rendering, I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lens on my desk we will see it Smile thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it work, Attila?
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works fine Smile

Another one Minolta 20mm F2.8 review

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tf. Thanks for your test. (I have this lens)
It comes out as not very sharp from 2.8 to 5.6 in corners... especially when comparing to the 24 mm. But it is very compact and a pleasure to use.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the AF version which is basically the same lens (10/9) and introduced 1986. It's an outstanding lens and when stopped down tack sharp from edge to edge even on FF. It's still in production as SAL-20F28 from Sony with just minor enhancements but the same formula.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for me it has very small distortion for so wide lens with so small body
One more advantage - I like how this lens feeling in hands Smile But it's not about performance. May be Canon FD is better (review on phillipreeve.net) , but I prefer MD