Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax full frame is coming...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Pentax full frame is coming... Reply with quote

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20150212_688027.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pentax-news/pentax-full-frame-to-launch-in-spring-2016.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do they feed to the "designers" of such a monster of crudity?

Mentioning the good old Pentax M-X times I'd like to vomit looking at this!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you can pre order it now?

http://tinyurl.com/hjntsgh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First impression by dpreview - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-k-1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2099 euros body only including Finnish 24% vat
so about 1620? without taxes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: 36MP too much for old manual lenses? Reply with quote

The camera looks great, about exactly what I had been expecting it to be

There is one thing that I am curious about and wonder if there is any consensus of Sony A7r/A7rII users here: Is 36MP bad / too high resolution for old manual lenses, in particular manual Pentax K and Takumar lenses?

I ask because, concerning the use of old manual lenses, at the 'first impression' review of the Pentax K-1 at dpreview it says, quote: "our initial impressions of shooting with one older 50mm Pentax prime aren't wholly encouraging".
the lens used seems to have been a Pentax M f2/50mm which is known to be about the weakest Pentax normal lens.

that had prompted someone to comment:

By sporobolus
i can't believe you used the M 50mm f/2.0 lens to test "legacy" lenses; there are so many other great primes, even the 50mm f/1.7 is much better, and there are many thousands of used F and FA autofocus primes still in good condition, so you could have tested autofocus with legacy glass..

the author of the review had answered:

Richard Butler
Nobody's tested anything yet.

that made me say:

kuuan
I had the exact same thoughts as sporobolus, and Richard, I don't know but in case that you are behind or responsible for the line in the review: "our initial impressions of shooting with one older 50mm Pentax prime aren't wholly encouraging." and here say that 'Nobody's tested anything yet" than I find the line in the review utterly unjustified and misleading, after all a big number of interested in this camera will want to use old lenses with it and will take that line very serious and as a reason to feel a bit let down by this camera

and I received that as answer:

sandy b
By sandy b (1 hour ago)
Kuuan, Unjustified and misleading? He is a pro reviewer and it was an Impression, not a fact. They basically said the same thing when the D800 came out. The fact is, a FF 36 mp sensor is a whole new world when it comes to lenses. It will separate the wheat from the chaff quickly. Nikon lens that were sufficient on the D700 became less so on the D800. Not a slam on anyone, just fact.

the same discussion was on once more, the author of the review answered:

By Richard Butler
I was trying to highlight the general case about using older lenses on 36MP - not draw specific conclusions from the 50mm F2.

By gsum
Many of Nikon's old primes are excellent on the 36mp D800 and are as good as modern lenses. I should expect old Pentax lenses to behave similarly.

By MikeF4Black
@gsum: I beg to differ. I have nine Ai/AiS primes and used them on the 800/E/810. Very disappointing. Not sharp, flare, the image quality just isn't there.

now what the deal?
do many old manual lenses really fare badly on 36MP?

grateful for any answer, specially of those who have experience with old manuallenses on Sony A7r ( and also Nikon D800, though I think that this would be with old Nikkor only )

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 36MP FF sensor has roughly the same density as 16MP APS-C sensor such as the NEX 5N/. If your lenses works good on the 5N, it will be even better at K1 at least in the center part of the frame thanks to the lack of AA filter.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, great answer Calvin, thank you for that! With you permission I shall quote your answer in my reply at dpreview Smile

great site by Ricoh / Pentax on the K-1: http://www.pentax.com/en/k-1/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to quote my answer. Just state the following fact.

The APS-C mode of A7R with 36.4MP sensor has 4800 x 3200 pixels while the K20D with APS-C sensor has 4672 x 3104 pixels.

Last edited by calvin83 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, even better!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
haha, even better!

It will be even better if you use K20D(APS-C sensor in 4672 x 3104) as an example.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K20D? Isn't that a 14MP camera?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckrider wrote:
What do they feed to the "designers" of such a monster of crudity?

Mentioning the good old Pentax M-X times I'd like to vomit looking at this!

+1 Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
K20D? Isn't that a 14MP camera?

yes, 14.6MP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pre-ordered one with a Pentax 540FGZ II Pttl flash, 2 64GB extreme Pro SD cards and an extra battery. Should ship out at the end of April or the first part of May. Can't see how shooting with legacy lens of any type will be worse than with my K10D, my KX or my K7. From what I've read so far it should be a huge leap forward in IQ regardless of the lens used when compared to the APS-C cameras. Just my Opinion. I looked at a 645D first since the price is coming down but at 40 MP compared to 36MP on the K1 and all the features the K1 has that the 645D does not have, it was a no-brainer to go ahead and order the K1.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have left now. Quite pitiful compared to what I did have, Well it will just have to do.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really been a decade long wait for me.

10yrs is not a short time.
From the time I shot picts of my newborn daughter with my K100D, till now when she's already a little girl in primary school.
Thats been so long it has taken Pentax to release the K1.

Like an old friend returning by jenkwang, on Flickr

But as much as it is new, I also feel a familiarity with it the instant I hold it.
The legacy of all the Pentax cameras before it that I've used all at once on my hands.

My old batteries from my K5 which have been dormant for 4yrs still work;
Or course so do my 30-40yr old Pentax lenses.
This as well as the newer and great Limiteds.
Which other company would think to such small things.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20160501-IMGP0057-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

M20/4, I really want this lens to work as its so small and portable.
Impressions is that Pentax really knows how to get this 'right'.
Even though this is 36mp, the M20 does go thru this relatively ok (all things considered).
Far edges and corners are not that great, but like I said, I am rather forgiving on this given the size and joy of using this lens.
In fact, very surprised that at 36mp vs the 24mp of my A7k, the overall IQ is not degraded with the higher pixel density.

No sensor reflection issues too, which my A7K was a pain to work with in this area with the same lens.

Another shot of the same location.
This time with the A50/2

20160501-IMGP0079 by jenkwang, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K1+FA43ltd.

Free Spirit by jenkwang, on Flickr

The build quality of this camera is awesome.
Its compact, and solid.
There is a heft to it though its not overly heavy, which after a while I don't notice anymore.

Its pretty amazing how Pentax kept to its design philosophies and gave us a camera that is not much bigger than a K3, but with FF all while adding a shake reduction module that can handle the larger sensor.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20160503-IMGP0175-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr
Pentax K1 with the Samyang 14/2.8

The file from the K1 is certainly more malleable than my A7K (Kolari modded).

I also don't know what sauce they used for the sensor/stack.
Even when its a 36mp sensor, its got better edges for this same lens than my A7K.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20160503-IMGP0210-Pixel shift by jenkwang, on Flickr
K1+Samyang 14/2.8

Starting to explore the pixel shift function which is one of the reason for me getting the K1.
I have left the full sized sample on my Flickr.
You won't be able to tell the difference using the image posted here as its too small.

There are 2 selections for the pixel shift function, I think I will need to go find out what one does over the other. Smile

For now, I'm on MC ON (motion control ON).

First impression using it was, 'wow! thats faster than I thought'.
I had thought it like exposure bracketing or HDR where the camera takes 3 images in succession and a wait in processing.
So I was very surprised that all it too was for the camera to flip up the mirror once, and all 3 images are taken.

To use it effectively, I think one has to do a pixel shift image as well as a normal one. (camera on tripod of course)
Steps :
1. Do normal 1 shot
2. Do PS shot
3. Process both to taste on RAW converter
4. Open in PS
5. Align layers and create a layer mask
6. Look thru the image and mask off areas that have movement artifacts.

It may sound a bit of work, but my opinion is that any detailed shot would require the discipline to look thru the image and fix stuff anyway (eg. cloning dust bunnies; removing ppl; exposure blend; dodge/burn, etc).

IQ at the end, is Fantastic! and to me its worth the bit of effort.

Last edited by pinholecam on Wed May 11, 2016 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More images.

This time using the multiple exposure mode to get more light trails from the traffic.

20160503-IMGP0221 by jenkwang, on Flickr
K24/2.8

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20160508-IMGP0245 by jenkwang, on Flickr
M50/2

20160508-IMGP0236 by jenkwang, on Flickr
M20/4

These smallish lenses from Pentax are a joy to use.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the last one Like Dog