Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recommendation for budget mid-range zoom any mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Recommendation for budget mid-range zoom any mount Reply with quote

Question Hello,

I need a little help choosing a mid-range zoom lens to use on my Sony ILCE-3000 (a3000). I guess ANY mount might be a little stretch, though there seem to be adapters for most of them for E-Mount cameras.

I am looking for something with a starting length of 24-28mm (or lower) and ending in 80-135mm with 3.5-5.6f or better. I am also looking for something under $100, preferably closer to $50 with good sharpness across the range, so probably SLR lenses.

Basically, I am looking for a good walking around lens with decent low-mid light capability. I have the 18-55mm range covered by the kit lens, and the 80-210 range covered by a Tamron Adaptall. I have a 50mm 2.8 Jenna Tessar Exacta mount for a prime.

I have been looking at Vivitar Series 1, Tamron, and Minolta AF lenses and am having trouble finding reviews.

Hope you guys and gals can help me.

Thank you.

Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The budget vintage zooms that I have experience with that somewhat covers your criteria....

Bear in mind, being all metal and glass, none are considered lightweights. Wink Other than a few being f/2.8, none can touch the 1855 kit zoom's overall performance.
18mm is wider, OSS, high contrast, lightweight.

1. Sun Optical 24-40mm macro zoom, f/3.5. Good optical performance from this old, big zoom. Cheap too.
2. Tokina AT-X 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 zoom. Excellent optics and color. Smallest of the first four recommendations.
3. Vivitar Series-1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5 Varifocal. Very sharp, warm colors, f/2.8 speed. But won't hold focus being a varifocal. Heavy.
4. Kiron 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 Varifocal. Very similar to the above, but cooler colors, and a bit slower for greater focal length. Heavy.
5. Tokina RMC 28-70mm f/4. RMC color, either love it or hate it. constant f/4, smallest of the group, and lightest. Sharp stopped down.

There are Tamron 28-80, 28-70 zooms that are praised, but I have no experience with these. But I think Adaptall-2 lenses are excellent from the ones I do own.
A Minolta MD 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 zoom similar to the Tokina AT-X is also a well-regarded lens.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, for the zoom range you are looking at I would suggest something multi coated with a constant aperture throughout.
Sure the members here have plenty of recommendations!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your budget area the Vivitar Series-1 28-90mm is very hard to beat.
It is varifocal which can be a pain when you are taking images on the fly, but it is fast, it is sharp and it is cheap. Comes in Nikon AI, Pentax K, Minolta MD, Canon FD and probably other mounts as well.
I can't recall ever seeing one in M42 mount though.
I have had the Kiron 28-85 and the Vivitar (Kiron) 28-105, and the Vivitar Series-1 28-90mm is sharper than these in the samples that I had.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "Vivitar 28-70mm f/3.4-4.8 MC Macro" is the best thing you could buy for about 15~20$ , but if you looking for great zoom lens forget about wider than 35mm and you will have so many great options (nFD 35-105/3.5 Macro | MD 35-70/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 35-70/3.6 | etc) and if you really need really wide zoom i think 18-55 oss will be more than enough (compare to cheap mf lenses) and if you planing to buy an a7 soon you better spend 50 bucks more and get the "MD 24-50/4"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar Series 1 28-90 f2.8 - 3.5 is on my Sony A6000 at the moment, it's a great lens. My other recommendation is the Minolta Rokkor 35-70 f3.5 Macro which is also excellent, maybe better than the Vivitar. The Tamron 17A Macro 35-70 f3.5 is another good option, adaptall mount as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only vintage choices at 24-xmm I know of are the adaptall SP 24-48mm 13A and the kiron made 24-48mm (kiron, vivitar). Both are good. I have the 13A and it is particularly good for a zoom at 24mm.

35-70's are nice and compact, not much bigger than a nifty fifty, and mostly good, I put the adaptalls esp 17A comfortably ahead of eg tok rmc. 17A has macro to 1:2.8. 17A is derived from the vaunted 01A SP 35-80mm which has any number of recommendations on line if you look.

Adaptall line up has 3 choices x-135mm, all worthwhile best is the SP 28A 28-135mm. Not so hot at 28mm, from around 35mm up it matched or bettered my DA 18-135mm in resolution.
More adaptall info.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: You guys are great! Any info on Minolta MAXXUM lenses? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips. I'll be exploring ebay to see what I can find.

Does anyone have any experience with Minolta MAXXUM lenses like MINOLTA MAXXUM AF 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 Wide/Tele macro, and is it worth $60?

Have a great day!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been browsing the specs of the a3000. I have to say that the low res lcd and evf do not orient this camera to MF use.
Quote:
While the image quality is excellent for such a cheap camera, the handling, operation and overall build aren't quite up to scratch, with the LCD screen and electronic viewfinderin particular proving to be of low-quality.
Photography blog

Doesn't seem to have focus peaking. Not clear what magnification might be available on the lcd or evf to fine focus. Looks like a bridge camera with a swappable mount!
I do wonder how satisfied you will be trying MF on this camera, obviously I'm not familiar with it but for me the first thing I would look for in a mirrorless camera for MF use is the quality of the evf, then the lcd then features like magnification (ideally one button push like on my samsung NX20) and focus peaking.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron, Konica all good, Konica UC top

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here at my short review of MC Vivitar 28-85/2.8-3.8 with some shots:
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=72463&sid=c45c1e8fe3f02ef46127d8fbd34836a2

I also have Vivitar 35-70/2.8-3.8, it's good too.
As I know, Vivitar Series 1 28-90 is better, but I haven't it yet.
Hope, you will make the right choise!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Just been browsing the specs of the a3000. I have to say that the low res lcd and evf do not orient this camera to MF use.
Quote:
While the image quality is excellent for such a cheap camera, the handling, operation and overall build aren't quite up to scratch, with the LCD screen and electronic viewfinderin particular proving to be of low-quality.
Photography blog

Doesn't seem to have focus peaking. Not clear what magnification might be available on the lcd or evf to fine focus. Looks like a bridge camera with a swappable mount!
I do wonder how satisfied you will be trying MF on this camera, obviously I'm not familiar with it but for me the first thing I would look for in a mirrorless camera for MF use is the quality of the evf, then the lcd then features like magnification (ideally one button push like on my samsung NX20) and focus peaking.

Marcus, the camera is basically a NEX 5 (I think) with a better sensor, and a DSLR'ish form factor. It uses Sony E-Mount lenses natively. It does have focus peeking and highlighting. I assigned that feature to a button on back. It has 2 zoom levels for checking focus. The EVF and LCD are not spectacular, but they get the job done with the focusing assist. I am attaching an image I shot this past Saturday with the Jenna Tessar 50mm f/2.8 (Exacta mount), if I can figure out how. The image is SOC, just resized to conserve bandwidth.

As I mentioned earlier, I also use a Tamron Adaptall 70-210mm with it, and a cheap Nikon 35mm DX lens (which has CRAPPY manual focus).

Hopefully that worked.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: So I walked into my local camera store ... Reply with quote

Happy Dog and found this:

This is the Minolta MD Zoom ROKKOR-X 35-70mm 1:3.5. Interestingly, the front element has 2 sets of threads - 1 for the hood, and 55mm ones for a filter. I ordered an MD to NEX adapter from Amazon, and it should be here September 11th. Looking forward to trying this lens out. I picked it up for a good price at Southeastern Camera in Raleigh, NC. It appears to be in very good condition. Hopefully it also delivers great pictures (not accounting for the photographer).

Thank you all for your help. I will probably still look at some of your other suggestions, as this one falls a little short on my criteria for an all around walking lens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: You guys are great! Any info on Minolta MAXXUM lenses? Reply with quote

johjeff wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with Minolta MAXXUM lenses like MINOLTA MAXXUM AF 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 Wide/Tele macro, and is it worth $60?

Minolta AF 3.5-4.5/35-105 (but only the first generation!) and Minolta AF 4-4.5/28-135 are outstanding performers... better than 28-85 and worth every penny.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: You guys are great! Any info on Minolta MAXXUM lenses? Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:
johjeff wrote:

Minolta AF 3.5-4.5/35-105 (but only the first generation!) and Minolta AF 4-4.5/28-135 are outstanding performers... better than 28-85 and worth every penny.

+1

I have the 35-105 1st generation and it's a great lens. Problem is it has 1.5m MFD (plus a pseudo macro mode) and it doesn't do manual focusing very well. It's primarily an AF lens and this shows in the construction (very short throw of the focus ring and not very accurate). You need the LA-EA2 adapter for these lenses to be able to use auto focus (or LA-EA4) which is a bit on the expensive side.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-mount lens database at dyxum.com

The M-AF 35-105N (plasticy) would be even lighter, didn't suggest that because OP wanted decent low light performance, should go for f2.8, if he really needs a midrange at all (55 to 80 "gap"? can't you like, move your behind a bit?)

35-105N, or the Sigma UC 28-70 HSAF, price $5 or $10 maybe

Or buy the 60-300 4-5.6 and sell the Tamron, case solved (spherochromatism though)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:
The M-AF 35-105N (plasticy) would be even lighter

but isn't as good than the first version

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, guys.

buerokratiehasser you are right, I can move my butt a little, which is what I have been doing for a while now. My main purpose in looking for a mid-range zoom is that I wanted a decent all around lens that had good range, so that I wouldn't have to change the lenses as often, and I could take just 1 multipurpose lens for family events, mini-vacations or daytrips.

I rather like the Tamron though. I did see some 28-200 lenses on ebay, which were interesting to me.

Have a great weekend! I think m MD-NEX adapter just showed up.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Marcus, the camera is basically a NEX 5 (I think) with a better sensor, and a DSLR'ish form factor. It uses Sony E-Mount lenses natively. It does have focus peeking and highlighting.

Sounds like it has good facility for MF in fact then. And nice pic with the tessar. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option....
If you get the Sony adapter, you can use the Minolta 24-85mm. Or the 28-105mm, using AF!!

Other than that, others to look for :

MD rokkor 24-50mm.

Another option, the Tamron 28-200mm Xr (if). I use it with an A7, AF or manual focus. Easier to go MF with Pentax, Nikon, Minolta mounts.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: You guys are great! Any info on Minolta MAXXUM lenses? Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:

I have them both and they indeed are both really good, deserving their reputation. I'm using them on a NEX-7 with a LA-EA4 adapter and they focus quite snappy and precise, sufficient even for a not-so-demanding sports event, like in this sample at
Traditional Tatar Fights (28-135 at 135/4.5):