Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is Trioplan 12cm worthy of $230?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Is Trioplan 12cm worthy of $230? Reply with quote

The question is pretty simple Very Happy Opinions, please?

Could be both nice bokeh and collectors item.

Item I am talking about is M42 and pretty well preserved (not the very same as on the pic though).

Marek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely. Time alone will tell. If you use it cautiously you can still retain the "collector" value. It seems an unusual FL for trioplan. I have the 100 2.8 in near mint, zebra livery, with case, that I got just as word was spreading. I snagged it as the only bidder at 79 USD. I recently saw a similar style version ( though not near as good of condition) go for close to 400 USD. I have used mine, judiciously, a few times. Eventually I want to make a plastic adapter for it as it has very little damage from mount-dismount (the black finish really shows that) and I want to keep it as nice as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a pre-war lens, some of them fetch unbelievable price , some not . In general longer lens usually not fetch high price , their doesn't look well enough in collector cabinets Laugh 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a simple case of being very sorry later if you don't buy it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually the item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meyer-Trioplan-4-5-12cm-Contax-S-Pentax-m42-/252077753060

The seller asked extra money for VAT which never happened to me this way, sent invoice with no VAT, was paid, cancelled the deal today (he refunded me immediately) and after come complains made me a new invoice with VAT this time.

Not much happy about, both his behavior and the money rise.

Respecting I think I am not obliged to buy/pay technically cancelled deal (with my disagreement on cancellation) without any penalties, I am considering whether or not to buy it.

But the item is nice, M42, probably still relative cheap for an Ebay item.

Was re-listed already, first time possibly the very same situation happened, and highest bid of the former item auction was almost a $100 higher. Still feel strange about though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f/4.5 Didn't realize it was that slow. Still, you could probably make money on it. As for VAT, I don't know the rules but can find out. I buy many lenses in Poland. In fact, most of my lenses. I have never paid VAT - and I do have them shipped to a Poland address.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $201.99 USD for my copy in Exakta mount about 1 year ago, and it wasn't in as nice shape as the one shown. It cost an extra $35 to bring it up to snuff. It renders very nicely, in classic Trioplan triplet style, but does not have nearly the extravagant bokeh stylings of the 100mm f/2.8. It is a well designed triplet, but uncoated, lacks the contrast and punch of a modern lens.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Just bought that piece of metal shit Very Happy Life is too short.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
I paid $201.99 USD for my copy in Exakta mount about 1 year ago, and it wasn't in as nice shape as the one shown. It cost an extra $35 to bring it up to snuff. It renders very nicely, in classic Trioplan triplet style, but does not have nearly the extravagant bokeh stylings of the 100mm f/2.8. It is a well designed triplet, but uncoated, lacks the contrast and punch of a modern lens.

Have you posted images from it?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
pdccameras wrote:

Have you posted images from it?

Not yet, I should have some this weekend!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure these old Trioplans represent good value. You can buy Trioplans in shutter attached to old folders for a tiny fraction of the cost. Then there are the other triplets like the Radionar, Triotar and Voigtar. I have loads of them from 75 to 150mm.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Not sure these old Trioplans represent good value. You can buy Trioplans in shutter attached to old folders for a tiny fraction of the cost. Then there are the other triplets like the Radionar, Triotar and Voigtar. I have loads of them from 75 to 150mm.

I did try these effect not same than with postwar Trioplan 100.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, if I wont like the item or will need some money, I am a very gifted seller Very Happy Never sold anything with a loss since my very first Sigma 105mm and some Olympus stuff

And Trioplan brand = Apple Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Dont you accidentally have Tele-Xenar 240/5.5 Exa Silver or 360/5.5 the very same, or Tele Megor 25cm (silver, Werner von Braun rockets kind of looking)? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the slower 4.5 triplets are just good, sharp lenses without the bubbles.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Dont you accidentally have Tele-Xenar 240/5.5 Exa Silver or 360/5.5 the very same, or Tele Megor 25cm (silver, Werner von Braun rockets kind of looking)? Very Happy

No, I don't use long lenses on my 6x9 camera so never bothered to collect any. The longest I use is a Symmar 150, a Tessar 165 and a Mamiya 180.

Tele-Xenars I have three 135s in DKL, Altix and M42.

I've never bothered with the old long Meyers, I just don't shoot long lenses that often and if I need to, I have a Sonnar 5.6/250 T* and a Tair-3 4.5/300 that suffice.

I do admire the aesthetics of the old Meyers in silver finish, I have the Primagon 4.5/35, Primotar 3.5/50 and 4/135 and Trioplan 2.9/50 and think they are excellent, good performers with strong character.