Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar T 50mm/F3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar T 50mm/F3.5 Reply with quote

Today on my dog-walk I tested my old Tessar lens which was built post-war in Jena around 1949 for the Exakta camera. It's the Version 2 and obviously the most built lens ever from many manufacturers under many different names. However, at least it's the coated version with the red "T". For the test pictures I've added a filter adapter 30.5 to 49mm and mounted a 49mm rubber shade. So actually the shade and the camera mount adapter to fit on my Ricoh are much bigger than the lens itself:

The lens itself is shown here in the Praktiflex version: http://lippisches-kameramuseum.de/Objektive/Carl_Zeiss_Jena_Tessar_1_3,5_50mm.htm

The test pictures are all clickable for larger view at 1600px.

Fully open at F3.5:

Stopped down F5.6 to F8:

All pictures just downsized and some of them exposure corrected. No sharpening or otherwise PP manipulated.

All in all for it's age the lens performs not bad. Though, the corner sharpness even on APS-C is not the best. From F8 it's rather usable also for landscapes at infinity.
Noteworthy is that there are no CA's, not even wide open. Also the bokeh isn't bad for my taste. The 14 blades are always resulting in a round aperture.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of those I got with some Exa cameras. Looking at your photos I am wondering does it have bluish tint? Otherwise it seems decent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
I have a couple of those I got with some Exa cameras. Looking at your photos I am wondering does it have bluish tint? Otherwise it seems decent.

Oops, I've forgotten to switch back to auto WB on the camera. So that might be a reason for the not so optimal colors. I don't think that the lens has something to do with it.
Well, I also think that this cheap lens performs rather good. The small size and weight is also a positive aspect. Compared to my E. Ludwig Meritar 50/2.9 lens (also Exakta) it's a clear winner.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
uddhava wrote:

Oops, I've forgotten to switch back to auto WB on the camera. So that might be a reason for the not so optimal colors. I don't think that the lens has something to do with it.
Well, I also think that this cheap lens performs rather good. The small size and weight is also a positive aspect. Compared to my E. Ludwig Meritar 50/2.9 lens (also Exakta) it's a clear winner.

I thought it might of been the camera, I've done the same thing myself. Yes the size is a positive, I think that is why I bought mine (they were being sold together) and I also like Tessar lenses. Simple, small and also
nicely built lens.