Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spring Is Starting Its Annual Explosion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Spring Is Starting Its Annual Explosion Reply with quote

The foliage is coming up fast. Here are a couple from near home.

Yashica Electro 35 (thanks F16SUNSHINE)
Fuji Reala 100
f:8 1/4 second
The creeks are starting to run VERY full, with snowmelt. There was a lot of movement because the high water level produces its own strong wind. The creek was pulling some silt with it, resulting in a grayish tone to the water which I found interesting.

The 35mm negative is much tougher to scan, especially the darks. I need to work out a system, as I haven't used many of the available options on the V700.

Yashica Mat 124
Fuji Provia
f:16 1/8 second
Just a sort of "study" of the foliage and moving water. This epitomizes the natural ecosystem, with green plants and water as the common elements of life support. The underwater tones of the rocks show through on this medium format transparency, but I sort of doubt they would show if this was a 35mm transparency (with my current lack of knowledge).

Deerfoot Vanilla Leaf, Sword Ferns, Oregon Oxalis, and Dwarf Bramble. If you crush the Deerfoot in your hands, there is a pronounced smell of vanilla.
Yashica Mat 124 w/closeup accessory lens
Fuji Provia
f:16 1/8 second

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful as always Larry. I really love them all. It is time for me to make a spring camping trip to the north coast. These shots look very inviting Cool

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply spectacular!

Love the vividness of the greens and the texture of the water!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am left without words to comment your pictures!

What plant is that with the curiously shaped leaves in last picture? It seems they are arranged in a group of three? Confused Question

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very beautiful images, all three.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, all three, most stunning! The first reminds me I've yet to try my
Black Electro 35! Embarassed

Thanks for sharing these, Larry, love the brilliant colors! The first one is
my fave, such a restful, tranquil scene.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you! These were more for just showing the explosiveness of Spring growth around here, but I'll take any kudos I can get. Very Happy

To answer Orio's question: Deerfoot Vanilla Leaf. If you crush the Deerfoot in your hands, there is a pronounced smell of vanilla. They are green throughout the summer and into Fall. What you see is fully grown - about 6 inches tall and maybe 8 inches across. They turn a beautiful shade of brown and orange in October before dying back for the Winter.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! Are they used to flavour food?

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Professional photos, in the best sense of the word!
What a careful composition, what a fantastic realisation.
Congratulations!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shots.

Did you have a hard time finding a place to setup your tripod for the long exposures? It seems that I always do in a place like this.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence

Your standards are awesome. Makes me fell such a fogey

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reala? <3! lovely work

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots! Smile
@Laurence: How about PROVIA film? Do you like it?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Interesting! Are they used to flavour food?

Hi Orio! Not used in modern times for flavorings, but the early native tribes of the coast used them as a perfume of sorts.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked
Professional photos, in the best sense of the word!
What a careful composition, what a fantastic realisation.
Congratulations!

I appreciate the feedback, Lucis! I am glad you like them!

Larry

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:
Beautiful shots.

Did you have a hard time finding a place to setup your tripod for the long exposures? It seems that I always do in a place like this.

Ron: I DO have a hard time with setting tripods up in the rain forest, because there is a lot of uneven ground (logs, holes, ferns, creeks). I just use patience and adjust the tripod legs to accomodate the forest floor.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Laurence
Your standards are awesome. Makes me fell such a fogey
patrickh

YOUR standards are something that I appreciate.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atilla, iha, and ahtiril:

I appreciate the feedback. Reala film negatives scan VERY well - almost automatic. Regarding Provia film - it's one of my favorites, both for its color rendition and its scanning ease. In the rain forest I often have to change from Velvia (my all time favorit) to Provia so I can avoid the HUGE amounts of saturation in the plants that are prevalent in the rain forest. If I'm using Velvia, then it's just too much, and then I have to go to Photoshop to "tone down" the saturation. I would rather do as much as possible in-camera and then the scanner on "auto" mode. I do not enjoy using Photoshop unless I have no choice.