Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chinon 55 / 1.7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Chinon 55 / 1.7 Reply with quote

I got this Chinon 55 1.7 in a junk shop today, it was attached to a Chinon CX camera and they wouldn't sell the lens seperate so I had to pay £10 for the whole thing, now I have yet another Chinon camera.......
But the lens looked nice, and on a very quick test in the garden I think I will like this lens. Whoever made it. Wink

Wide open, it doesn't look as though it has too many bad habits.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens looks very similar to my Auto Revuenon 1.7/55 and may be the same lens - at least from the same stable.
I used it this afternoon - after noticing your post Lloyd - and I will put up some images shortly. I think I had better start a new thread instead of hijacking yours though.
1.7/55 and 1.7/50 lenses seem to be a winning formula in lens design, as there appear to be lots of excellent lenses in this specification.
It will be great to see some more images from it. BTW, I think that you did well in buying the camera and lens for so little.
Well done
OH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a very common lens, also found as Auto Revunon, Hanimar, Argus, Agfa and Cosinon. It appears to have the same coating and some similarity to my Mamiya Sekor 55 1.8, which I rate very highly.
Feel free to add pictures from this lens to the post Tom, it's about the lens not me. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one from this afternoon - a windy windy exercise in frustration.
Anyhoo here we are:
OH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Feel free to add pictures from this lens to the post Tom, it's about the lens not me. Wink

What a refreshing attitude! Smile

I've somehow managed to never own one of these, but I have put a moritorium on buying more 50s, I have way too many! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have way too many 50 - 58 mm lenses, 51 of them, 20 in M42 Rolling Eyes and I wouldn't have bought this Chinon other than it was cheap, and I couldn't remember exactly which of this style of lens is attributed to Tomioka, it's the 1.4 not this 1.7 but it still seems like a good lens for a tenner, even less if someone buys the damn camera. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Here is one from this afternoon - a windy windy exercise in frustration.
Anyhoo here we are:
OH

I think I'm going to like this lens, great picture Tom. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide open and minimum focusing distance.

Wide open, infinity - focus on the gates. The mess in the bottom left is the wall I was resting the camera on which would be out of focus at minimum.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lloyd.
I have since had a little play in Picassa, and although this isn't strictly kosher, here is a variation on the last image. I like it more.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It poured with rain today, just right for a fastish 55. All these were shot either wide open or one stop down, and they are all processed, but very little sharpening if at all, just levels, contrast and maybe a crop.

I like this lens, I surely have sharper lenses that don't need as much levels / contrast done ( and to be fair the Chinon required a lot less than some other lenses I have. ) but it's still a very nice, easy, lens to use. The bokeh is excellent, given the right circumstances there is swirl that isn't as pronounced as the Helios 44-2 and bubbles that are subtler than the Fujinon 55 2.2.
Will it usurp my favourite Mamiya Sekor 55 1.8? I don't know. That'll be decided on a sunny day shootout. Wink