Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Takumar 35mm f3.5 vs Lydith 30mm f3.5 Help me.....
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
That's a decent picture, a bit of PP to increase contrast would sort that out.

That's not a decent picture. In the centre it's worse than any modern kit zoom and not very far outside of the centre it's just horrible. And that's on a crop sensor. Surprised If this is indeed at f/8, there's something wrong with the lens. Maybe one element was put in the wrong way?

I was using an old laptop and it looked OK, just washed out a bit. It looks worse on the PC monitor. a Takumar should be better than that. Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some samples from my SMC tak 28
here with the nex 5r, so aps-c. It always looked good to me, not excellent, but the good sharpness stopped down, the strong contrast and excellent flare resistance made me pick it up every now and then. Then I bought a distagon, and it sits almost unused since then.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeeke wrote:
If 28mm I would like to have an RMC Tokina 28mm m42 but prices on eBay have become too high.
I have it in the Pentax K I used it on my Canon APS-C ,tried a couple
Yashica ML 28mm and they were not as good as Tokina / Hoya

if you wanted to work on a budget, perhaps try the vivitar 28mm 2.5 m42. i believe this tends to be cheap as it has a mixed reputation but i don't know whether that's based on film experience or digital. on my canon, it's rich and contrasty and rather well detailed at 2.8. a favorite 28mm lens that might also still fall into the budget category is the already mentioned mamiya sx 28mm.

what didn't you like about the ml? i have it and the distagon and find the ml to be sharper wide open than the distagon. everything i've mentioned has been on a full frame but if you like i can try these on one of my apsc canons to see whether they still hold their own.presumably they would.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y wrote:
miran wrote:
That's not a decent picture. In the centre it's worse than any modern kit zoom and not very far outside of the centre it's just horrible. And that's on a crop sensor.

Exactly, any standard plastic zoom would just blow this out of the water. Can't say that about, for instance, cheap Olympus OM wides.

I was seeing similar results from my Super and S-M-C Takumar 28's for landscapes too, and shelved both of them and searched for replacements.
They are both excellent shooting subjects close up. So, it's not a flipped element or damaged copy.
I wonder if it has to do with sensor stack of certain cameras. I have an a6000. While Aanything can get outstanding images from his NEX. I can't get his results no matter how hard I try with these two.

Back to 35mm M42 budget lenses...

As mentioned, Takumar 35-f/3.5, if that is fast enough. It also exhibited similar landscape shortcomings on the a6000, but not so severe.

The Vivitar (Tokina) 35mm f/2.8 is very good, and cheap. See plenty in M42 on ebay going for $20. Their T4 version is also great, if you can get a T4/M42 mount.

Vivitar (Komine) 35mm f/2.8 is decidedly better though. I can concur with MarcusBMG, after seeing results from mine, it's the best 35 I have now. Includes Yashinon DX 35 f/2.8, Konica Hexanon AR 35-f/2.8, Takumar, the Tokinas.
Inexpensive too. But it may be hard to find in M42.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
I was seeing similar results from my Super and S-M-C Takumar 28's for landscapes too, and shelved both of them and searched for replacements.
They are both excellent shooting subjects close up. So, it's not a flipped element or damaged copy.
I wonder if it has to do with sensor stack of certain cameras. I have an a6000. While Aanything can get outstanding images from his NEX. I can't get his results no matter how hard I try with these two.

Back to 35mm M42 budget lenses...

As mentioned, Takumar 35-f/3.5, if that is fast enough. It also exhibited similar landscape shortcomings on the a6000, but not so severe.

Ony my elder Canon 400D two copies of S-M-C Tak 35/3.5 presented comparable results to MC Flektogon 35/2.4 at infinity with f/8. That's nowhere near as bad as my 28mm S-M-C Tak. However, both 35s are decentered. It gets apparent on apertures lower than f/5.6.

I'd also recommend a Vivitar 35 Wink