Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tripod gear head
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Tripod gear head Reply with quote

I found this nice little tripod with a geared head in a junk shop the other day, for £7 I thought it was worth it. It's for a spotting scope or small telescope, but I looked at it and thought I could hack it about and make something of it. The original lens mount was useless for any lens I have, but it was easy to remove and leave the mechanisms intact. I made a new platform to carry a focusing rail so it now has front to back movement, 30 degrees of tilt on the screw and 90 degrees on the whole head tilting on a clamp. The head rotates 360 degrees on a worm and wheel gear. The whole thing is smooth and has no slack at all in the gear or screw.
The tripod is rigid cast alloy, although it is a bit small, I shall make an adapter to fit it to the Benbo Trekker which is probably the natural option for this head.

If it will hold the fat boy Rokkor 100 Macro, it should hold anything.

A good 7 quids worth I think. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tripod gear head Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
A good 7 quids worth I think. Wink

When people asked my teacher how long it took to be able to do what he does? He would always answer with his age.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lovely job and well done. I wish I was mechanically minded - and had the tools to do the job!

However, I do have ingenuity and a good sewing machine. Watch this space (DIY) for my next creation...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clothing that fits your lego men and women? Laughing Seriously, you guys have talent when it comes to camera and lens,camera gear adaptation!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a proper lens cave there Dave, I would love a rummage through that lot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a few of my cameras, I'm much more of a lens collector than cameras but I do use the better ones sometimes. The lenses are stored in plastic crates.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work. I have a giant Zeiss 1.9/168 Visionar that would have fit that original clamp I think.

Can you tell us a little about what's different about this geared head, looks like it would be the kind of thing that would work well with my giant anamorphic lens rig. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very good geared head Ian, the rotation is full 360 and the tilt on the screw is 30 degrees, with more on the clamp. I've re lubed it with gun oil and it's smooth and without any play at all.
The lens carrier that I removed is for a tapered lens, at the clamp point it is 57mm dia - narrower to the fron. It's 100mm long. I could have modified it but didn't want to destroy it in case it was crap for what I wanted - which it isn't so it's sat on my desk waiting for me to get brave and mill the top off. I can't see me using it as it is as I don't know what fits it. There's no name on it at all, it's Japanese, well made but fairly old - the manufacturing and finish look like 1960- 70's

It is probably worth looking on Gumtree + ebay at the cheap telescopes, I've looked at some in the past and often thought the tripods were better than the optics on top.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dave.

I am in need of a good sturdy tripod for video. I have a Bilora that works okay but isn't as smooth as I would like.

Needs to be sturdy because I've got a couple of kilos of Schneider anamorphic glass to strap to it. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back I was being dragged around one of these ghastly garden centre places that sells more crap than plants and one of the shops was selling Chinese made telescopes for stargazing. The telescope seemed OK for £120, but the tripod was superb, all alloy with an oil damped head. I bet they are all over ebay for next to nothing.
The other good option is the big OLD Slik SL-67 "Prototype" Tripod, like the one I carry permanently in the back of my Toyota. It's big and heavy, but extends to about 6 feet high and has the best head ever. I've got a pic of it somewhere, BUT HERE'S ONE ON EBAY

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SLIK-SL67-Prototype-Pro-Tripod-video-series-Great-condition-76-195-cm-/231701408661?hash=item35f27aeb95