Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M42/Nikon Ai adapter problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: M42/Nikon Ai adapter problem Reply with quote

I just tried Mir-1b on my nikon d5100, and everything is alright except focusing ring. Without adapter works perfectly but when I mount adapter works only between 0.7 and 1.7 meter. Anybody knows why, I guess the lens was disassembled and then assembled incorrectly or I bought broken adapter. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Last edited by pat2025 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:17 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Pat and welcome.
Any M42 lens on a Nikon will behave in much the same way. It has to do with the registration distance of the various lens systems and the fact that Nikon's is longer than the M42.
So effectively the M42 lens is behaving as if it was attached to a close-up extension tube.
There is probably nothing wrong with your lens.
OH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm sorry I wasn't very precise with question. I've got adapter with glass element so it should work in full range but still it isn't the problem. Ring can't be turn farther the 1.7 meter and without adapter turns smoothly from 0.7 to infinity.

Last edited by pat2025 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the adapter is pressing the focusing ring, if I'm not mistaken Mir-1b is pretty similar to Helios 44-2 in terms of the body design, and I have known cases that when the adapter is on the lens it made it not capable of turning the focusing ring to a certain distance.
I supose you bought a adapter with corrector glass inside, because if you don't then you have to consider also that the lens never will focus to the indicated distance, because what user Oldhand just said.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I was worried only about adapter. Lens was almost free.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the Mir is focused towards infinity, the rear element moves backwards towards the camera. I am guessing that this rear element of the Mir is hitting the correction element in the adapter at about the 1.7 metre mark and will not rotate any further.
OH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
As the Mir is focused towards infinity, the rear element moves backwards towards the camera. I am guessing that this rear element of the Mir is hitting the correction element in the adapter at about the 1.7 metre mark and will not rotate any further.
OH

+1 (hitting, possible causing some damage to lens and or adapter lens element surfaces -- CAREFUL PLEASE!