Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodachrome 64 with Nikon F5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Kodachrome 64 with Nikon F5 Reply with quote

I bought the last 2 rolls of kodachrome my local shop had going cheap back in 2008. Having now seen the results, I will sorely miss this film, as I prefer it to both velvia and provia. I need to get my astia shots processed and see how they look too.

These portraits were taken using my Nikon F5 and 135mm f2.8 AI.

Jess by --Kei--, on Flickr

Jess by --Kei--, on Flickr

These snowy shots were taken using a Nikkor-N.C auto 24mm f2.8. (They are not quite as clean as the ones above)
Snow by --Kei--, on Flickr

snow-2 by --Kei--, on Flickr

snow-1 by --Kei--, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine results !

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First two are fantastic. Used to love this film but sadly now all gone!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm trying to find one that stands out amongst the other films instead now. Out of interest is there a best alternative that closely resembles kodachrome? I've tried velvia 100F, provia 100F, 400X, sensia 100 and astia 100F. (not yet seen the astia results yet and being 645, won't be able to scan them either) None of these compares to the results I got from kodachrome. I woonder if velvia 50 is closer than 100, I think i may have some in the freezer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent indeed!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, nice. Very nice. And there's something just plain old reassuring knowing that, 70 years from now, those slides will look the same as they do now. So I can't help but feel a bit melancholy whenever I see "last rolls of Kodachrome" photos, knowing that there will likely never be more.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do like this matte cyanish look? I'd prefer Sensia 100

Kodachrome was before my time, yes it has advantages

Try maybe Sensia 400, neutral to a bit blue-ish, muted colors. But you won't probably like it if you didn't like Provia 400x

Velvia 100 isn't Velvia, Velvia 50 overdoes the Reds and is good for sunsets and nature and crazy colors.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, I've turned to look at C-41 film to be a replacement for slide film these days. I find that Ektar is similar to Kodachrome in the way it handles reds and yellows. But for a solid neutral, yet well-saturated look, these days I like Portra pretty much best of all the current C-41 offerings.

I wish Kodak wouldn't have discontinued Elite Chrome. That was some very nice E-6. And so's Provia and especially Velvia, but it's always nice having a variety to choose from.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodak made so many Ektachromes you can still buy them used, can you not?
For that superb everything is autumn look...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, hopefully not used, but perhaps second-hand . . . Problem with buying second-hand film is finding a place to buy it. The prices I see on eBay are typically more expensive than it was when new -- and it's expired film! But yeah, if I could locate a stock of expired but well kept (as in refrigerated or frozen) Elite Chrome for a decent price, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kei wrote:
Thanks. I'm trying to find one that stands out amongst the other films instead now. Out of interest is there a best alternative that closely resembles kodachrome? I've tried velvia 100F, provia 100F, 400X, sensia 100 and astia 100F. (not yet seen the astia results yet and being 645, won't be able to scan them either) None of these compares to the results I got from kodachrome. I woonder if velvia 50 is closer than 100, I think i may have some in the freezer.

My all time favorite is Velvia 50. I never liked Kodachrome.
However, it's primarily a matter of taste.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dug through my stack, found only 4 EPP100 (exp 2005)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for showing!
On the cupbord of my living room there is a pack of Kodachrome 64 I fortunately got from a fleamarket for reminescense. We are able to valuate things too late, when we have lost them...
Btw. Kodachrome story is very impressing stuff to read:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_Mannes
Two musicans with no chemical career background meet and decide to invent best film of all times!
Oh Man, oh God, we have to thank you!
But I think, most of us know the story...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for showing!
On the cupbord of my living room there is a pack of Kodachrome 64 I fortunately got from a fleamarket for reminescense. We are able to valuate things too late, when we have lost them...
Btw. Kodachrome story is very impressing stuff to read:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_Mannes
Two musicans with no chemical career background meet and decide to invent best film of all times!
Oh Man, oh God, we have to thank you!
But I think, most of us know the story...