Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios-44M-4 vs Industar-50-2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Helios-44M-4 vs Industar-50-2 Reply with quote

I already own a Helios-44M-4 and I am looking to buy an Industar-50-2. I usually use the Helios at f/4.5 to obtain the level of quality I want. How would the Industar compare?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Industar 50 is a solid performing, if slow (f3.5) Tessar clone capable of decent sharpness and good color rendition. Not known for any special bokeh either good or bad.

Be aware that thousands of these lenses were produced in multiple configurations over a 50 year period. The quality of any single lens will depend on its age (coating), how well it has been kept, the quality control at time of manufacture. The good thing is these lenses are very inexpensive as you might have to buy a few of them to get a good one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be disappointed with the Industar after using the Helios 44M-4
Both lenses are capable of wonderfully sharp results but there is no way I can get the beautiful creamy bokeh from the Industar that I see from my Helios.
Of course, what the Industar has going for it is its totally cute little looks and it will attract more attention especially if it is in silvery metal make as opposed to the black variety.
Here are a couple of my pictures to illustrate. I don't have the 44M-4 but the 44M-6, however I think that they might be similar.
OH

Industar

Helios

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that the Industar is much more prone to flare than the Helios, and doesn't have quite as much contrast. It's a fun lens to use though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Industar, it has a lot of character, and is sharp enough when you want it to be sharp. The Helios is I think slightly better though. I shall always have at least one of each.