Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M.O.G Trioplan 1:2.9/50 diaphragm nightmare
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 6:28 am    Post subject: M.O.G Trioplan 1:2.9/50 diaphragm nightmare Reply with quote

Good evening everyone. Excited to be here! Upon buying into mirrorless after a hiatus from DSLRing, I've come to find I am absolutely obsessed with manual focus vintage glass cans. The thrill of treasure hunting on eBaying probably contributes to the recklessness.

Anyway, I found a Trioplan attached to some sort of camera (I'm not so much into film cameras...yet), advertised as being somewhat crippled, and received as such. Optically, it's gorgeous (by my loose standards). Externally it's quite nice. Unfortunately, it had aperturitis exhibited by a bent/dislodged blade or two, resulting in a very irregular iris shape and limited range (f/4ish to f/16is). So I tentatively opened her up and reassembled a few times before diving into the lens block and fiddling around until I realized I probably needed to remove and reset each blade. Maybe I didn't need to go that far, but hey, I'm naive and kinda impulsive. But also determined. Or, at least I thought I was.

Those 12 little blades are the most amazing test of patience since 2-year-olds became a thing. It doesn't help that a couple of them are a little bent. But wow, I tried every which way to get them back in there and got oh-so-close, but getting each little slug(?) into its hole and making it stay there while trying to lay in the next one just gets super crazy. I did the thing I hate most - I gave up and put the lens back together sans iris assembly.

So, my question is if there's a trick to helping them all in there? Right now they're in a bag and the lens is performing with a fixed f/2.9 (maybe a little bigger?) aperture...which really isn't the worst thing ever...but gosh it'd be nice to capitalize on a 12-bladed iris during those times I might actually want some DoF.

Thank you for you kind thoughts and words.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can offer nothing but sympathy, I'm afraid.
I have reassembled a couple of lenses with somewhat fewer blades … more by luck than judgement, I feel, but I too have a 35mm Ennalyt with it's aperture parts in a zip-lock bag awaiting that day of revelation Wink
I anticipate the original construction was performed with some kind of jig to hold all the parts in place before they're inserted into the lens barrel.
In the meantime, much of the "character" of the Trioplan is achieved at full aperture, so maybe all is not lost.
Good luck Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small lenses are the trickiest.

It may be worth seeing if the lower ring can be removed from the lens body. If so, you will then have much more room and can fit the blades facing outward and not interfering with one another, then slowly arrange them back inward until they are circular, then carefully refit to the body. I doubt this is an option on a shutter lens assembly though.

Another thing that helps is to make sure you're using tools that are non magnetic, this stops things being moved by accident just when you get to the last blade.

If absolutely nothing else works, I have at times used a tiny bit of heavy grease on the locating pin, which 'sucks' it into the locating hole, making it less likely to be removed. You can subsequently wash thoroughly with acetone or some other de-greaser whilst working the aperture, to remove as much of the grease as possible.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show image of the lens, i can guide you with the same one probably.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve cleaned a few diaphragms in the past, but fixing apertures with bent blades sounds like trouble to me. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if for avoiding blades to bent over the time, would be better store them close down totally or not etc.? In theory ,I e read is better to be closed down, but I'm still not 100% sure about it ( I guess it's not normal to happen)

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I wonder if for avoiding blades to bent over the time, would be better store them close down totally or not etc.? In theory ,I e read is better to be closed down, but I'm still not 100% sure about it ( I guess it's not normal to happen)

I once bought a big Zeiss Jena telephoto, I think it was a 300mm with a lot of blades. Once I tried to close down the aperture, all blades started bending, basically ruining the aperture instantly.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
The small lenses are the trickiest.

It may be worth seeing if the lower ring can be removed from the lens body. If so, you will then have much more room and can fit the blades facing outward and not interfering with one another, then slowly arrange them back inward until they are circular, then carefully refit to the body. I doubt this is an option on a shutter lens assembly though.

Another thing that helps is to make sure you're using tools that are non magnetic, this stops things being moved by accident just when you get to the last blade.

If absolutely nothing else works, I have at times used a tiny bit of heavy grease on the locating pin, which 'sucks' it into the locating hole, making it less likely to be removed. You can subsequently wash thoroughly with acetone or some other de-greaser whilst working the aperture, to remove as much of the grease as possible.

I love the heavy grease idea and had considered something like it as I pondered my next move before drifting to sleep to work on it some more in my dreams, but it's good to hear it's actually worked for someone. Unfortunately, the lower perforate ring is integral with the whole tube, so I'm ringed-in on all sides and need to do some blade weaving.

I also thought about gluing extensions to each blade's nubby pin to essentially sink them lower into the locating holes. Not sure what I could use to extend them just yet, but something conical or hemispherical would be preferred to help them self-locate. Maybe even ball bearings could do the trick. Definitely a delicate and tedious operation, but could also synergize with the heavy grease.

I mean, at this point I haven't even tried out the lens yet. Maybe after shooting wide open and reviewing the results, I'll come to realize I don't even need to hassle with the diaphragm if I'm happy enough with the wide open performance. I got this thing for soap bubbles, after all (and because I love buying lenses and have aspirations of someday becoming a vintage lens restorer).

In other news, I also have an A.Schacht Ulm Travenar 1:3,5/135 R preset/auto hybrid in exakta mount with its diaphragm stuck wide open. I was once able to coax it down to about f/6.3 with a repetitive twisting/pumping action on the clickless front ring, but now it's back to being 100% stubborn. Contemplating getting inside to try to loosen it up or see if a spring needs replacement. Gentle-to-firm slaps to the barrel only resulted in me feeling guilty for spanking an otherwise beautiful zebra lens.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the blades are bent they will be very difficult to get back in, layering the blades in rotation would be a nightmare.

As for straightening the blades?? I would be very careful.. the metal is extremely brittle spring steel, I have a few lenses with broken blades that broke in the instant the blades stuck and became dislodged.
Maybe heating the blades would temper the metal and make it possible to flatten them?

The Schacht lens a classic, and it's a simple lens. I would do a proper CLA on a lens like that, it's a risk to do this "repetitive twisting/pumping action on the clickless front ring" - as you say, it's gone tight again. The problem hasn't gone away.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give an idea of what I'm working/dealing with, here are some pictures of the blades recently released from their sandwich baggy tomb. The bends and warps don't look that bad to me. Someday I'll get around to trying again, but for now I think I'll concentrate on lost cause lenses to gain risk-free practice. A box of six very ugly and dirt cheap doozies just arrived, from which I'd actually like to salvage the 500mm f/8 mirror lens, if I can. From the rest I figure I'll just poke around as I attend Lens University, or I suppose Lens-TT Tech?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AberratedSoul: if you are still interested in fixing the aperture, sometimes, if possible it is better to assemble blades outside of lens body reverted and then inserting whole iris assembly by means of a "special tool" and other techniques as shown in my rather lenghty yt film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bDwyXHL4Z4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that a tiny piece of silly putty (sold in stationary section of box stores as Blu-Tak(TM), used to mount posters to walls, hold a piece of paper in place while you type the info into the computer, etc) will keep the "ring end" of the blades in place while you set the last most difficult part, which is sliding the blades at the very end of the sequence under those already in place. It holds well enough but comes away clean. Fashion a bead about the size of a BB and push it on the outside of the ring and over the top of the pin that is used by the aperture to move the blade in and out. Tedious but effective. If someone has a more effective technique I am all ears.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trick I've used, IF i can disassemble the lens down just to the aperture mechanism, is to put a tiny drop of oil on each blade with a syringe. , which allows it to stick to the previous one by surface tension. Once everything is in place and the retaining ring set, i give the mechanism a nice solvent dip to remove the oil, which I imagine leaves less of a residue than the heavy grease suggested above.

Doesn't really work for obvious reasons if you still have the focus mechanism or optics in place.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the suggestions and insights! I was also pondering Modge Podge as a soluble temporary adhesive. At this point, my lens and camera worklist has gotten pretty extensive, so the Trioplan operation is on a faraway backburner. Before I dig in again, I'd like to take her out for a spin to see how she performs without the blades. So many different M.O.G lenses to shoot...so little time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it is a good advice not to use magnetic tools like screwdrivers, a custom made magnetic tool like a magnetic disc that fits nicely on the aperture body will make fitting the blades way easier. I learned that when reassembling the 8 blades aperture of a salvaged Petri 45mm 1.8 lens.
Blades more warped and damaged than what I see in your images. I had to use scissors to cut a heavy curled edge off for example, with care of course to avoid a light leak. A fitting coin glued to a magnetic neodymium disc for example can be a fine tool.
EDit, when an aperture has blades warped, usually two or more next to one another, it is wise to distribute them between the good ones so they are forced to behave better. Of course some reverse bending, twisting, to get them plane before assembling is part of the job.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
While it is a good advice not to use magnetic tools like screwdrivers, a custom made magnetic tool like a magnetic disc that fits nicely on the aperture body will make fitting the blades way easier.

An idea so good you wonder why you never thought of it yourself. I'm definitely going to try to fashion one large and one small version of this tool.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Dinkla wrote:
While it is a good advice not to use magnetic tools like screwdrivers, a custom made magnetic tool like a magnetic disc that fits nicely on the aperture body will make fitting the blades way easier. I learned that when reassembling the 8 blades aperture of a salvaged Petri 45mm 1.8 lens.
Blades more warped and damaged than what I see in your images. I had to use scissors to cut a heavy curled edge off for example, with care of course to avoid a light leak. A fitting coin glued to a magnetic neodymium disc for example can be a fine tool.
EDit, when an aperture has blades warped, usually two or more next to one another, it is wise to distribute them between the good ones so they are forced to behave better. Of course some reverse bending, twisting, to get them plane before assembling is part of the job.

Using a magnetic tool, particularly with a strong rare earth magnet, on an auto aperture lens with steel blades is an EXCEPTIONALLY bad idea. If the blades become magnetized, they will never work properly again.

Maybe not such a concern on a fully manual or stop-down aperture, but anything where timing is a concern this strongly inadvisable.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
Ernst Dinkla wrote:

Using a magnetic tool, particularly with a strong rare earth magnet, on an auto aperture lens with steel blades is an EXCEPTIONALLY bad idea. If the blades become magnetized, they will never work properly again.

Maybe not such a concern on a fully manual or stop-down aperture, but anything where timing is a concern this strongly inadvisable.

I wonder if baking the assembled iris mechanism (sans any glass elements) would permanently demagnetize it sufficiently. Magnet heating experiment: https://www.apexmagnets.com/news-how-tos/magnet-experiments-what-happens-when-a-magnet-is-heated/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
Ernst Dinkla wrote:

I magnetised some stored shutter blades of the same material and did some tests.
The mass of these thin tempered blue steel blades is so low that the magnetic field does not affect the function of a manual iris. In fact blade on blade there is no force at all, they glide easily on top of one another and stay in position as laid down. Put the edges to one another and an easy to break chain of max 4 or 5 can be pulled over a smooth surface. The magnetic force only shows at the edges of the blades. Friction in the aperture mechanism is way above the magnetic force here. I even doubt it will affect the older auto diafr lens systems that are mechanically actuated from the camera, number of blades 8 or less.