Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advice sought for LTM 50mm lens selection
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
There is no need for distance rings with the close focus abilities of Nikkor and Tanaka ltm lenses together with the close focus adapter (I use one from Tinray). You can of course do pretty well with a Canon ltm lens too, but in some cases you want to go even closer. Wink

Don't forget I'm on Leica M mount and not on Sony E. So my situation is different....
On the other hand I'm using the Visoflex helicoid for my lens heads from Leitz to go closer. That's not bad as well. Wink
I am only using my NEX for strange adapters which are not available for Leica M (such as e.g. Fujica AX) but not for LTM lenses, for those I have my Ricoh GXR-M.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer was mainly to the thread starter who wrote: "The lens, if I do buy one, will be used primarily on a Sony A7II or Sony A6000." Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
My answer was mainly to the thread starter who wrote: "The lens, if I do buy one, will be used primarily on a Sony A7II or Sony A6000." Wink

Obviously I have overlooked that Steve (OP "newst") has mentioned something about distance rings as well. I was therefore under the impression that you referred to my statement about distance rings before.
My apoligies for that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 samples from the Industar 61. (53/2.Cool

Both samples at f5.6.
The full sized files are on the Flickr.

Unfortunately, it seems the left side is better than the right for this copy of the lens.

Industar 61 53/2.8 @f5.6 -sample 1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Industar 61 53/2.8 @f5.6 -sample 2 by jenkwang, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a LD version of this Industar. Once stopped down it is really sharp cross the frame.
Wide open it is nice portrait lens for ladies.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
I have a LD version of this Industar. Once stopped down it is really sharp cross the frame.

Yes, a surprise to me that on the A7, its one of the least troublesome Russian 50mm lens.
(wrt edge to edge sharpness stopped down)
The other being the Helios103, which has a big improvement on a modified A7.

This copy of the I61 isn't as good on the right side, but the left side certainly shows off whats possible on a better copy.
I would add that I think f8 might be a better test for these lenses as they often have quite a bit of field curvature that f5.6 might not be able to handle.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinholecam wrote:
memetph wrote:

Yes, a surprise to me that on the A7, its one of the least troublesome Russian 50mm lens.
(wrt edge to edge sharpness stopped down)
The other being the Helios103, which has a big improvement on a modified A7.

This copy of the I61 isn't as good on the right side, but the left side certainly shows off whats possible on a better copy.
I would add that I think f8 might be a better test for these lenses as they often have quite a bit of field curvature that f5.6 might not be able to handle.

I have both versions, the earlier silver one and the later black one.
However, I was a little bit confused now as both lenses are actually 53mm/F2.8 ones.
Though, the older version shows 2.8/52 and the newer L/D one shows 2.8/55 on the lens face. Wink
I have to admit that I didn't test them up to now, they are just collecting dust among some others.
Obviously it's time to do that as well....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know in what theme it would be better to share the review of Chiyoda Kogaku 5cm F/1.8, let it will be posted here

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a nice lens, has a nice rendering, just one word of caution, turn the focus ring to a mid distance before installing or removing from the adapter/camera, as it's easy to bend the guide rails, it's a fairly easy lens to work on.
Super Rokkor 50/1.8

The 50/2 is also quite nice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice sought for LTM 50mm lens selection Reply with quote

Going all the way back to the original poster's questions, which are:

newst wrote:
I am currently considering purchasing one of the following LTM mount lenses.

Chiyoko 2.8/50 Super-Rokkor
Yashikor 2.8/50
FUJINON L 2.8/50

I haven't been able to find a lot about any of these on the internet beyond confirmation that each is/was a high quality, well thought of lens. What I am really looking for is whether any of them should be avoided or would render images distinctly different from the LTM 50s that I already own, which are:

Canon 1.9/50
Canon 1.8/50
Summitar 2.0/50
Industar 61 L/D 2.8/50
FED 50 3.5/50
Jupiter-8 2.0/50 (Contax)
Helios 103 1.8/53 (Contax)

The lens, if I do buy one, will be used primarily on a Sony A7II or Sony A6000. However I now own a Canon 7 and am running my first roll of film through it. If it turns out that the camera is functionally sound and that I can learn how to take acceptable photographs with it I will be using any lens I buy on that camera also.

I note: the three lenses he's asking about all have a f/2.8 maximum aperture and that none of the lenses he owns containt an f/2.8 max aperture. Now, given that this question was asked 3 years ago this all may be moot now.

But I note that one of the lenses he didn't include was the Leitz collapsible 50mm f/3.5 Elmar. I see he owns a FED 3.5/50, which is probably a knock-off of the 3.5 Elmar? But I do not happen to know if it is as good as the original. Only thing I would add to this overly long discussion is that the Leitz collapsible 50mm f/3.5 Elmar, in LTM mount, is the sharpest 50mm with the best contrast I have ever seen or used. Period. So that would be my recommendation, even though it isn't an f/2.8 optic.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Elmar is very good indeed. I also have the FED 50 collapsible which shows weak results, but I also have a Industar-22 collapsible, that is just as good as the Elmar, or atleast very close... Another hot lens in the slower range is the Topcor 50mm f/3.5 ltm which has super IQ and pop from wide open.