Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 105mm f2.5 Leica mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Nikkor 105mm f2.5 Leica mount Reply with quote

The rangefinder version of this lens (Nikon S, Contax, or Leica screw) differs very slightly in its optics from the Nikon F model. I think I can see a difference in some shots, but it might just be my imagination. Both the rangefinder and reflex versions can't even focus down to 4 feet, so if you want to get closer you have to use extension rings. And if you get really close, that's when you really start to see the 'dreamy' quality coming out. This was taken at full aperture on a dull day.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice,but then I like this dreamy soft look. How did it handle on the XE1 not too front heavy?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo - the rangefinder mountings are mostly brass as opposed to light alloys and all are much heavier than the Nikon F version. It is indeed front heavy, not least because of the solid mass of glass in it. But it's also fairly slim (takes 52mm filters) so it actually handles quite nicely on both the Leica and the XE1. The only thing I don't like is the inability to get closer than 4 feet, but even that's easily worked around.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot!

The LTM version of the lens is a Sonnar while the early SLR ones was the same lens formula.
The later SLR version was Planar.

Wonderful lens, very under mentioned imho.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon say they had to 'tweak' the rear element to ensure adequate mirror clearance for the Nikon F - I think they tell the story quite well on their "1001 Nights" website. Having wasted a few hours shooting 'comparison' pictures I think my rangefinder lens gives slightly more diffused defocused areas both wide open and stopped down. But it really is a very small difference and you need side-by-side images of identical subjects to see it. The reflex lens has a hexagonal iris, as opposed to the circular opening of the rangefinder lens, which naturally gives a different shape to out of focus points of light. Maybe that influences the degree of diffusion, but the small difference exists wide open where the shape's irrelevant. No matter, both are lovely lenses and the reflex version can still be bought for reasonable prices.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You inspired me to take my Nikkor P 105/2.5 out for a spin. Very Happy We are blessed to have sunshine today! I even put the hood on it,it looks very nice,thanks again.