Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help me find my next lens. LEICA 50mm f/2 SUMMITAR or other?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Help me find my next lens. LEICA 50mm f/2 SUMMITAR or other? Reply with quote

I'm really enjoying my recent purchase of my Jupiter 3. thus I'm looking for something small and silver ( I just like them silver.. ) that is good at portrait. has a fun , unique look / lens bokeh. I would like F 1.4/1.5 but i think that's out of budget. So around F 1.8/2.0 It doesn't have to be perfect wide open but usable as I'll mainly use it wide open.

Main contender is LEICA 50mm f/2 SUMMITAR

budget is $150-250 usd. Main source is here, fred or ebay. Prefer to do private sales via pp.

I will use manly on my Fuji X-E2.

Thanks

Roger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

The Summitar is a great lens. I just recently bought one off Ebay and am duly impressed. The price of mine was $216.00 with free shipping. If you go the Ebay route be prepared to take your time. Most of the Summitar's run in the $400 range so you need to be patient and wait for a good price.

Two things to look out for:

1. The early Leica lenses used a softer, chalk like glass. Make sure that any lens you decide to buy is not badly scratched-many of them are. I've seen them listed with major scratches and with so many small "cleaning marks" that it had to affect image quality. Sellers are pricing on the Leica name and trying to move damaged lenses for top dollar.

2. Like many of the Zeiss Jena lenses the grease in the helicoid in older Leica lenses tends to harden and outgas, resulting in stiff focusing and fogged inner elements. The one I bought has this problem, but the glass is pristine without a mark on it. A CLA will bring it to a like new condition.

Here is a sample in its fogged state.

You might also look into the early Canon Rangefinder lenses. Since you already have the Jupiter, a Sonnar design, you might look into a Canon 1.8/50.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schneider Retina Xenon 1.9/50 in DKL is cheap and as good as any other 1950s/60s 'normal'. Sharp as hell, bags of character, lower contrast due to single coating. I love mine. Build quality is first rate, has moving dof indicators like a Hasselblad lens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Schneider Retina Xenon 1.9/50 in DKL is cheap and as good as any other 1950s/60s 'normal'. Sharp as hell, bags of character, lower contrast due to single coating. I love mine. Build quality is first rate, has moving dof indicators like a Hasselblad lens.

All true, but the retina lenses need a unique DKL adapter. Since he already has the M39 adapter for his Jupiter I thought I would limit my recommendations to LTM lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own a dlk adapter but would consider it. But would enjoy a m39 as the adapter is tiny.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May suggestion is Kodak Cine Ektar 63mm f2.0 C mount lens if you looking for extra bokeh and pretty good sharpness wide open. Summitar is okay, like a Jupiter-8 I doubt offer anything above like you already have with J3. Cine Ektar has circular bokeh like Helios 40 or Biotar 75 has

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DKL adapters are pretty cheap and the Xenon is pretty small too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The DKL adapters are pretty cheap and the Xenon is pretty small too.

Not as much to X mount.

https://www.fotodioxpro.com/pro-lens-mount-adapter-with-aperture-control-ring-deckel-bayonett-dkl-mount-lenses-to-fujifilm-x-series-cameras.html is about all I can find.

But I like the lens it's self.

Last edited by vroger on Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
May suggestion is Kodak Cine Ektar 63mm f2.0 C mount lens if you looking for extra bokeh and pretty good sharpness wide open. Summitar is okay, like a Jupiter-8 I doubt offer anything above like you already have with J3. Cine Ektar has circular bokeh like Helios 40 or Biotar 75 has

I assume this is the c mount lens?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kodak-Cine-Ektar-63mm-f-2-Screw-Mount-Camera-Lens-RE478-USA-Made-/171873781407?hash=item280479c69f

I know I need a C mount to X mount adapter but would that be 16mm? What type of a field of view reduction would I see? I assume a circle around the edges.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:

You might also look into the early Canon Rangefinder lenses. Since you already have the Jupiter, a Sonnar design, you might look into a Canon 1.8/50.

I seem to remember people saying it was so so wide open. Anyone have any hands on experience?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thoughts / Comments on the Leica 5cm f/2 Summar? could be to expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with newst in what he says about the Summar. Still, an optically clean Summar is quite difficult to find as the front element's glass in indeed realtively easily abraded. I'm not sure, but I think getting one apart is a bit trickier than with some other types - The CRR company of Luton UK used to have something about refurbishing the Summar on the their website. Might be worth Googling it.

But if you can find a good one, its unfairly maligned reputation should keep the price within your planned budget. A "good" one is indeed good as I was surprised to find many years ago. But to be safe you probably need to buy from a source familiar with such things who will tell you the truth about the condition. If you prize small size, it wins hands down.

The chrome Canon 1.8/50 can typically be bought for less than a Summar, and much less than a Summitar (in the UK at least) and - provided it's optically clean and un-tampered with - will do better than an uncoated Summar. Peter Kitchingman's Canon Lenses book implies that the optical package is the same as the later black and chrome models, but that may or may not be so. If it is, then I guess you won't find a better L39 standard lens at an affordable price. The later ones were very good indeed, pretty close to the early model Summicron. That's based on what I found back in the 1960s and 70s when all these were relatively cheap to buy and play with.

The Summitar is good too - hardly anything to tell the later ones from the first Summicron, on film at any rate.

Good hunting!

I know you're in the USA, but have at look at the UK websites for MW Classic and Peter Loy. Both regularly get the sort of thing you're after and have good reputations. I've bought things MW Classic in the past and their descriptions are honest.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you look for an collector's item or a lens to use?

If you are looking for a lens to use then I would like to know what are you looking for?

If you look for an outstanding lens in terms of performance and not for any "creative features" then I wouldn't recommend a Summar or Summitar (except when you get it really cheap). In this case you should look at least for a Summicron as from 1953 or later.

If F2.0 seems not enough then the CV Nokton 50/1.5 is most probably the best lens to get in LTM.

However, both would be slightly above your budget.

If you just want to achieve some creative effects then there are cheaper and maybe also better alternatives available in LTM.

Gandy's site might be helpful for further recommendations: https://www.cameraquest.com/ltmlens.htm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroger wrote:
Attila wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kodak-Cine-Ektar-63mm-f-2-Screw-Mount-Camera-Lens-RE478-USA-Made-/171873781407?hash=item280479c69f

I know I need a C mount to X mount adapter but would that be 16mm? What type of a field of view reduction would I see? I assume a circle around the edges.

actual lens has S-mount, you need an S mount -> C mount adapter from Kodak + C mount -> Fuji X mount, circular edges right

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot more that agree with Attila, that Kodak 63mm certainly is a gem, I should use it more often!!
(Look for glass browning if you find one...)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Do you look for an collector's item or a lens to use?

If you are looking for a lens to use then I would like to know what are you looking for?

If you look for an outstanding lens in terms of performance and not for any "creative features" then I wouldn't recommend a Summar or Summitar (except when you get it really cheap). In this case you should look at least for a Summicron as from 1953 or later.

If F2.0 seems not enough then the CV Nokton 50/1.5 is most probably the best lens to get in LTM.

However, both would be slightly above your budget.

If you just want to achieve some creative effects then there are cheaper and maybe also better alternatives available in LTM.

Gandy's site might be helpful for further recommendations: https://www.cameraquest.com/ltmlens.htm

Looking for something more on the creative side, but something that I can still use. I'm just a hobby photographer. But i'll take pictures of friends, or my kids etc.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
vroger wrote:
Attila wrote:

actual lens has S-mount, you need an S mount -> C mount adapter from Kodak + C mount -> Fuji X mount, circular edges right

Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want a decent price 1.5 50mm, i suggest the leica summarit 50/1.5. its silver, has classic rendering, beautiful bokeh and m39 mount. check out rangefinder forum to see lots of samples. its a wonderful lens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
if you want a decent price 1.5 50mm, i suggest the leica summarit 50/1.5. its silver, has classic rendering, beautiful bokeh and m39 mount. check out rangefinder forum to see lots of samples. its a wonderful lens.

Yep, but about twice the budget I have...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroger wrote:

Looking for something more on the creative side, but something that I can still use. I'm just a hobby photographer. But i'll take pictures of friends, or my kids etc.

LTM lenses are generally a little bit more expensive. So if you are on budget then maybe the Canon 50/1.8 would be an alternative to your existing Jupiter.
The Voigtlaender Color-Skopar 50/2.5 is not bad either but may also exceed your budget.
Maybe you should rather wait until you have more funds before you buy another compromise which may not suit your needs or you look for an affordable SLR lens instead.
The original Fuji primes are not the cheapest lenses as well....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
vroger wrote:

LTM lenses are generally a little bit more expensive. So if you are on budget then maybe the Canon 50/1.8 would be an alternative to your existing Jupiter.
The Voigtlaender Color-Skopar 50/2.5 is not bad either but may also exceed your budget.
Maybe you should rather wait until you have more funds before you buy another compromise which may not suit your needs or you look for an affordable SLR lens instead.
The original Fuji primes are not the cheapest lenses as well....

Seems prices are steady climbing.

Keeping a eye out for deals.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroger wrote:

Seems prices are steady climbing.

Indeed.

The good times are definitely over now. I wish you good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summitar picture did come today to our FB group, photographer is one of the best what I know, looks confirm it what I said before , not offer anything above J3 to you.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=993378644026865&set=gm.1031196263571742&type=1&theater

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Summitar picture did come today to our FB group, photographer is one of the best what I know, looks confirm it what I said before , not offer anything above J3 to you.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=993378644026865&set=gm.1031196263571742&type=1&theater

Thanks again.

I at the least am building a list of the next couple of lenses I want.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon 50/1.8 LTM in chrome