Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Relationship between viewpoint and focal lenght
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Relationship between viewpoint and focal lenght Reply with quote

I just want to throw out a ball here...

Do you have any opinion regarding viewing distance from print/ copy ("picture on the wall") vs focal lenght used to take the picture? Very Happy
For instance - Does it feels more natural to have the spectators viewpoint closer to the picture when it is a wide angle shot versus a tele shot?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Relationship between viewpoint and focal lenght Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
I just want to throw out a ball here...

Do you have any opinion regarding viewing distance from print/ copy ("picture on the wall") vs focal lenght used to take the picture? Very Happy
For instance - Do it feels more natural to have the spectators viewpoint closer to the picture when it is a wide angle shot versus a tele shot?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Maybe I'm mistaken, but isn't this old issue about whether focal distance affects perspective or not?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is two pictures on the wall:

One wide angle shot (20mm) and one tele shot (200mm)
Is it more natural for a spectator to stand closer to the wide angle picture to examine the content versus the picture taken with the tele lens?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
If there is two pictures on the wall:

One wide angle shot (20mm) and one tele shot (200mm)
Is it more natural for a spectator to stand closer to the wide angle picture to examine the content versus the picture taken with the tele lens?

I think probably the tele shot: Although the perspective of either the 20mm or the 200m would probably be unnatural in light of the human eye's natural perspective of ~50mm, at least the image of the 200mm shot wouldn't be distorted like the 20mm one. Does this make sense?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but would it feel better to stand closer to a wide angle shot? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're gonna stand closer for the wide angle shot and farther away for the tele shot, then does it really make any difference? The image will be the same size in the viewfinder, won't it? So what difference does it make?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am pretty bad at explaining Very Happy

If you go to an photo exhibition just to look at photos on the wall (no camera gear involved), would it be better to examine a wide angle shot at a closer distance than a tele shot (for your eyes) or doesn`t this make sense?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an exhibition the size of the print would determine how far away to stand from it for viewing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another factor would be the subject. For example o portrait or a landscape or a shot with many details. Up close to see the details and further away to get the whole picture.

This is not the opinion of an expert, only what I imagine myself doing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

If you go to an photo exhibition just to look at photos on the wall (no camera gear involved), would it be better to examine a wide angle shot at a closer distance than a tele shot (for your eyes) or doesn`t this make sense?

A photo is not like a window, eh? Standing close to window, view is wide angle; standing farther from window, view is telephoto. Yes?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

A photo is not like a window, eh? Standing close to window, view is wide angle; standing farther from window, view is telephoto. Yes?

That`s a interesting comparison!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is any help with your question?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Relationship between viewpoint and focal lenght Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That`s an interesting answer Bernhard, because the origin of the statement was a friend who mostly shoots large format. He mostly shoots on Linhof cams... Any chance of providing this printed information online?