Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ebay response: What are Import Charges for US to China item?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Ebay response: What are Import Charges for US to China item? Reply with quote

I asked Ebay:
Quote:
My customer in China wants me to refund the import charges he had to pay (half of the item winning bid!!!) because China does not have any import charges. I say to him he needs to get refund from Global Shipping Program, not from me. Why does Global Shipping Program make customer pay import charges in country with no import charges?

Their response:
Quote:
I'm responding to your recent inquiry to our support team regarding the Macro-Takumar Lens (item #191569362311), which was sold through our Global Shipping Program. I would like to apologize for the wait and appreciate the patience you have shown while we responded to your email. We have had a recent influx of emails, and since each one is answered personally it has taken us some time to reply to everyone.

Our customer support group indicated that you would like an explanation of the import charges associated with this item, because your buyer is under the impression that China does not charge duties/taxes for imported items. I appreciate your concern for your buyer and am happy to look into this matter further for you.

After reviewing the transaction, I've verified that your buyer was properly charged. China is subject to applicable duties/taxes like any other country. Global Shipping import charges are comprised of shipping, taxes, duties and brokerage fees. The Global Shipping Program allows buyer to pay the import charges up front, so that the item is delivered directly to their door without any further fees due at delivery. eBay has formed a legal agreement with their country to remit all applicable import fees directly to them. Our third party shipping partner collects the import charges from their payment to you, then remits them directly to their country's customs office, in order to expedite the delivery process. Some items may not be assessed import charges if their value does not exceed the minimum threshold set forth by the buyer's country country. The shipping is expedited, fully insured and trackable to ensure the item is received quickly, and is protected against loss or damage. As a result, your buyer can expect to pay more for shipping than they would for basic service. For further explanation of these fees, please see the eBay Buyer Terms and Conditions for Global Shipping purchases.

Please note that these charges are disclosed up front on the listing before a buyer commits to purchase an item through our program, and are non-refundable. To help you out in this matter, I have emailed your buyer to explain all of this.

Thank you for your concern in making sure your buyer is properly charged. I wish you continued sales success on eBay!

Sincerely,

Wayne W.

eBay Customer Service

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they call them 'customs duties' instead of 'import charges'.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive my cynicism, but it seems that the eBay Global Shipping system is a throughly bad deal chiefly designed to expedite the growth of eBay's profits. I've looked at USA items listed with this and find that the charges invariably far exceed the maximum that UK import and VAT taxes would be.

Visualopsins and his China-based buyer have my sympathy, but it's clear that the only way the customer is going to get back any money is through Visualopsin's own generosity. Although the reply from eBay says that Some items may not be assessed import charges if their value does not exceed the minimum threshold set forth by the buyer's country. the rest of the letter makes clear that once the fees are paid, that's that . . . no refund. I wouldn't use their Global Shipping Program but fear that eventually it will become complulsory as part of their terms and conditions of use.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I see an item that is sent through this Global Shipping System I not buy it, I'm looking for another. Eventually I talk to the seller if he wants to send a normal package not with this system. The fees are higher than the duties that I paid at customs in my country.
This Global Shipping System is a big mess to buyers.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edri wrote:
If I see an item that is sent through this Global Shipping System I not buy it, I'm looking for another. Eventually I talk to the seller if he wants to send a normal package not with this system. The fees are higher than the duties that I paid at customs in my country.

+10

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for $125 item:

RE: GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM

I wondered how is Global Shipping Program for buyers. I never saw topic here, so I presume OK.

For seller, since ebay fees is also based on shipping charge, saves me money because I pay fee only to US Ship Center. If return is necessary seller has to refund only small fee not full international charges. Good for sellers imho.

I did compare rates for shipment to Canada. Global Shipping paid by buyer was a little less than what direct ship would cost.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that ebay is trying to get even more money from us. They usually get a percentage from the final price and the shipping cost. Now, with The Global Program, the shipping cost is greater and custom taxes are included, so I suspect they apply that percentage to the included custom taxes, too.

Once I got something shipped by The Global Program and not only I payed more for the custom taxes but the delivery from USA took a very long time, 2-3 times longer than a normal shipping, in spite of my quick shipping service option, because of the long time it took for The Global Program to process the shipping+custom taxes.
Now I always avoid buying items shipped by The Global Program.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
edri wrote:

+10

+20

and it might be the local authoritites (like at leat some in Germany) do not recognize the fees as import tax, so your are a criminal, not declaring your tax in your country

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for responding. I think I'll not use Global Shipping Program.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the key word here is 'brokerage fees'.

I remember when i was living in Canada and ordering something from USA ($25 worth). if it was shipped with normal post there was no duties and taxes to be paid. But if it was delivered with a courier such an UPS they wanted to charge me $50 brokerage fees for filing a customs forms on behalf of me, even if the value of the goods falls below the threshold and no actual customs fees need to be payed.