Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Original lens hood variations
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Original lens hood variations Reply with quote

Original lens hoods never seem to be exactly the same as another Wink

these 3 variants of 46mm lens hoods for early preset and Auto Takumars might show an evolution
1st is slip on, second one hasn't changed much in looks but is screw on, third is screw on and one colored

or see these two Canon hoods for 40.5 filter thread LTM lenses

none of these 5 original Olympus lens hoods for 43mm Pen-F lenses are identical.
2 of the T-45 only differ by somewhat different lettering of 'Olympus Japan' while the 3rd says 'Olympus' on one and 'Japan' on the other side.
Of the S-45s one has printed which lenses it can be used, the other says 'T45', the first has 'Olympus Japan' written on the 'slip on metal part', the other on the black hood itself.

btw. the slip on 'S45' can be used on all the Pen-F lenses that have 43mm filter thread, the 3.5/20, 4/25, 2.8/25, 1.8/38, 2.8/38, 1.4/40 and 3.5/100,
the screw on 'T45' vignettes on the 20mm and 25mm lenses.

and please add your findings!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to have the original hoods for my lenses, I don't have them all though. I rarely use them, for everyday use I just use the cheap collapsible rubber ones, which I don't worry about losing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I like to have the original hoods for my lenses, I don't have them all though. I rarely use them, for everyday use I just use the cheap collapsible rubber ones, which I don't worry about losing.

+1!
Especially those Zeiss ZF massive met bayonet mount shades are a pure enjoument, o use!
For my 1.4/35 and 1.4/85 Rollei QBM lenses there seem never original shades made, so I use DIY shortened shades or in case of longer walks rubber ones.
And my 18mm QBM Distagon? There is no thread to use shade at all... Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takumars first, then Olympus Pen-Fs and lately Canon LTMs are the lenses I 'collected' and have been using and their hoods had come along. They are beautiful pieces of equipment, at least collectors will think so and be interested in their variations. If you agree please show yours!

Talking about actual use I must confess that I never have used any of the hoods shown. For occupying less space I also prefer cheap rubber collapsible hoods, nevertheless they use space inside the small waist bag I usually, when out shooting, carry my gear in. Therefore I hardly ever use those neither but my left hand as shade instead