Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cool 105mm Soligor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Cool 105mm Soligor Reply with quote

Here`s a cool Kyoei made Soligor 105mm f/2.8! I can`t recall I have ever seen this lens, so I bought it. Unfortunately it had some issues. I cleaned the rear lens group (it had a moisture patterns between elements and changed the mount from Petri to m42 but the focusring is stuck Crying or Very sad

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really looks awesome. Well it seems there are tiny screws holding focusing ring and scale ring. Remove it all and spray lubricant into helicoid. It might work if lens wasn't hit or introduced to sand.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it, great lens, a triplet if I see that correctly.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I have it, great lens, a triplet if I see that correctly.

Do I have a single lens you don`t have? Very Happy
Are you sure about triplet? I opened up to clean the rear element and it was a group of two elements in the back.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to look again Lars, maybe I was wrong.

Lighterfluid to the rear of the helicoid (a few drops only applied with a toothpick) helps at times.
Losens up old grease. Not a permanent solution though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Acall 105/2.8 should be in 4e/4g while the F3.5 is 3e/3g. Not sure if they changed the design

Last edited by calvin83 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
The original Acall 105/2.8 should be in 4e/4g while the F3.5 is 3e/3g. Not sure if they changed the design

I count four reflections so that might be correct. I`ll have some lubrication out in the garage and also lighter fluid in my Kitchen, I will give it a round of both.

Thank you guys

Has anyone tried to heat up a lens slovly in a stove to make the grease more fluid?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

Has anyone tried to heat up a lens slowly in a stove to make the grease more fluid?

Don't even think about it!!! The chances you crack lenses is very high!!

(I changed the reference to our european southern country to lubricant Laughing )

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know, I used to work as a glassblower and know the maths of heating and cooling glass, but we are talking hours and maybe days sometimes to avoid internal "tension" (might not be the right english word). The glass can also explode sudden later if not done right. "Normal" glass extends 1cm per meter per 100 celsius, but there is lots of different glass formulas with different coefficient of expansion like the one you can use in the stove for instance.

I was only thinking of heating the lens up carefully to between 50-80 celsius if I can`t get it loose by fluid or lubricant Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is your lens Lars, you can do with it whatever you want Wink

I had very good experience using a few drops of light fluid and waiting 1-2 days

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

I had very good experience using a few drops of light fluid and waiting 1-2 days

Ok, I will give it a few days Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Ok, I will give it a few days Smile

Gently try to move focus once in a while...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an intriguing lens! There is one posted on US Ebay right now (in Florida):

Click here to see on Ebay

Actually has the same serial number as Lars'. Certainly not a common occurrence!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available. What a surprising pity! (or is it a pitiful surprise) Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

Has anyone tried to heat up a lens slovly in a stove to make the grease more fluid?

More than likely this won't solve anything, it may actually even make the grease harder by evaporating out whatever lubricant components of the grease are left. Lighter fluid works because it softens up grease chemically, with really old grease heat might have the opposite effect.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be right about this Mos, there was more of an idea if nothing other worked out...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
This is an intriguing lens! There is one posted on US Ebay right now (in Florida):

Yes this is the lens I bought, I complained about the state and my issues with this lens and the seller promised a compensation, but have I got anything yet, no! Crying or Very sad

Update: I`ve got a part refund now as agreed

He probably did something wierd when posting new listing for his items, I saw my lens on eBay a few days ago as well Laughing

Last edited by Nordentro on Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to try WD-40

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you did a great job cleaning it up!. Unfortunately WD40 is not something I would use. It can actually gum up things even worse. Naptha, or lighter fluid usually works for a little while, since it dissolves some of the old grease. The only permanent solution is to disassemble the helical assembly, remove all the old dried up grease which has turned into cement, clean the threads and repack them with a proper grease. This is easier said than done - i have ruined more lenses than I have saved this way - the multi-start threads of the focus helical are my downfall every time. If the lens is truly a keeper - and this one definitely looks like a fine addition to your collection - i would have it serviced. In the US a re-lube shouldn't cost more than $50. I hope you get it working - It's a beautiful lens.

Best,

paul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than WD40 I run a very tiny amount of thin gun oil into the stiff helical. Solvents such as WD40 and lighter fuel evaporate rapidly and leave the old grease as it was before - stiff, but with luck it might moved slightly when temporarily thinned by the solvent which helps.

Grease consists of two parts, the carrier and the lubricant, and the lubricant is basically oil. So thin oil will mix with the carrier and restore the lubrication properties, whereas a solvent temporarily thins the carrier and then slowly evaporates. WD40 does have some oil so it is not altogether useless, the problem is the aerosol pressure shoots the stuff everywhere. If I was to use WD40 I would squirt some into a small container and let it sit for a while to allow the most volatile solvents to evaporate, then carefully drip tiny amounts of the remaining oil into the helical.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD40 is ok for preset lenses but for auto aperture lenses it is a no, no. The risk of oil getting to aperture blades.