Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for 24mm lens - advice needed!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Looking for 24mm lens - advice needed! Reply with quote

I'm looking for a 24mm lens to use on my 5DMKII. My budget is about £50. What can I get for this sort of money with good IQ? I've seen a Tamron Adaptall II 24mm for sale recently and an Ensinor/Clubman 24mm. Would either of these be a good buy?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is hard to find some good wide lens for this money

Sigma 24/2.8 is imho the best solution between cheap lenses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also considering a good quality 24mm for landscapes atm and Zuiko 24/2.8 seems to me like a nice lens, but you have to be lucky to find it at £50, it usually goes for twice that amount.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

symphonic wrote:
I'm also considering a good quality 24mm for landscapes atm and Zuiko 24/2.8 seems to me like a nice lens, but you have to be lucky to find it at £50, it usually goes for twice that amount.
later zuiko 24/2,8 with MC coating is great, but it is almost impossible to find it at this price - rather around 100euro/pounds and more for like-new samples with box and accesories; also I don´t think the SC zuiko is worth buying.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 24mm Tamron adaptall/2 is also a good alternative.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:

Regards.
Jes.

What price should I be paying for this lens at the moment. I have seen one in nearly new condition for £60.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Jesito wrote:

Regards.
Jes.

What price should I be paying for this lens at the moment. I have seen one in nearly new condition for £60.

A fair price, a bit high but if it is in really good shape is fine. The last one I saw in a local shop in Barcelona some one year ago, mint & boxed, it was 80 EUR.

Also you have to take into account that you will need an Adaptall2-to-your-mount adapter...

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Vivitar 24/2.8 by Tokina and a 24/2 by Komine to go with your 28. I think Martin knows about them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent thread about 24mm lenses: http://forum.mflenses.com/help-finding-17mm-24mm-lens-at-2-8-or-lower-f-stop-t42225.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OM MC 24/2,8 is nice and sharp, but if the sun hits directly into the lens so it is easy to make ugly flares.

Couple of photos of a weekend fishing competition.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
There's a Vivitar 24/2.8 by Tokina and a 24/2 by Komine to go with your 28. I think Martin knows about them.

Thanks Peter. I've found one of these lenses with a Konica mount. Is there such a thing as a Konica to Canon EOS adaptor? I can't find one on ebay.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
peterqd wrote:

Thanks Peter. I've found one of these lenses with a Konica mount. Is there such a thing as a Konica to Canon EOS adaptor? I can't find one on ebay.

Probably not. You'd need one with a lens to correct the back focus distance, or using one without glass it wouldn't reach infinity focus.
I've seen them in M42 and PK, and maybe there are OM, C/Y and Nikon versions too, all of these would mount on the Canon easily.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a Tokina 24mm f/2.8? I have recently acquired one in Contax/Yashica mount and like all Tokinas (even the Pentax K-mount ones) there are *no* mirror clearance problems on fullframe canons.

However, I have not extensively used nor tested my Tokina. I will do so soon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
What about a Tokina 24mm f/2.8? I have recently acquired one in Contax/Yashica mount and like all Tokinas (even the Pentax K-mount ones) there are *no* mirror clearance problems on fullframe canons.

However, I have not extensively used nor tested my Tokina. I will do so soon.

I just bought a Hoya HMC 2.8/24 for 20ukp in excellent condition, I strongly suspect it is the same lens as the Tokina 2.8/24.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for 24mm lens - advice needed! Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
I'm looking for a 24mm lens to use on my 5DMKII. My budget is about £50. What can I get for this sort of money with good IQ?

When you buy into a costly 20+ MP sensor, you've boxed yourself into better glass. Allocating £50 on a 24mm lens and expecting good results is kind of crazy.

Spend a few more pence and go for a Nikkor 24/2.8 AIS.

For £154/$250: http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20456375.html

Last edited by james on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:11 pm; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for 24mm lens - advice needed! Reply with quote

james wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:
I'm looking for a 24mm lens to use on my 5DMKII. My budget is about £50. What can I get for this sort of money with good IQ?

When you buy into a costly 20+ MP sensor, you've boxed yourself into better glass. Allocating £50 on a 24mm lens and expecting good results is kind of crazy.

I totally agree with what you're saying. I usually use Canon L glass with my 5DMKII (17-40mm, 24-105mm & 70-200mm). My manual focus lenses I use with my Spotmatics etc and my EOS10D. I'm looking for a mf 24mm and was curious what the IQ would be like on my 5D. At this price point, probably awful, but I have been pleasantly surprised before!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikkor is probably your best bet. Readily available and a compact little lens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james wrote:
The Nikkor is probably your best bet. Readily available and a compact little lens.

Thanks, I'll have a look at what's available on ebay.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for 24mm lens - advice needed! Reply with quote

james wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

You've anchored yourself to an unforgiving 21MP sensor, the price of which obligates the use of better glass. Allocating £50 toward a 24mm lens and expecting good results is unrealistic.

Although I understand the argument of "very expensive camera therefore no point in buying inexpensive lenses", personally I am not in 100% agreement.

It is probably true that I would have been far better off buying a single L Canon lens for around £1800 than spending the same amount of money on the dozens of lesser MF lenses I have accumulated. However, in the greater scheme of things, I would then have ended up with a single lens and not explored the envelope of what the world of lenses has to offer.

Just my quirkyness. Ignore it.

This is aside from the fact that £154 is just over three times £50, rather than a "few more pence" Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for 24mm lens - advice needed! Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
james wrote:
DigiChromeEd wrote:

You've anchored yourself to an unforgiving 21MP sensor, the price of which obligates the use of better glass. Allocating £50 toward a 24mm lens and expecting good results is unrealistic.

Although I understand the argument of "very expensive camera therefore no point in buying inexpensive lenses", personally I am not in 100% agreement.

It is probably true that I would have been far better off buying a single L Canon lens for around £1800 than spending the same amount of money on the dozens of lesser MF lenses I have accumulated. However, in the greater scheme of things, I would then have ended up with a single lens and not explored the envelope of what the world of lenses has to offer.

Just my quirkyness. Ignore it.

This is aside from the fact that £154 is just over three times £50, rather than a "few more pence" Smile Smile Smile

My quirkyness too, Martyn! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for 24mm lens - advice needed! Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:

...This is aside from the fact that £154 is just over three times £50, rather than a "few more pence" Wink

....and a 5D Mk.2 a few shillings more Wink

Seriously, the experimentation is all the fun but the the relevant options narrow once you've "graduated" to a D3x, A900 or 5D Mk.2 so unless one is unbothered by dropping £50 here and there only to find out that these less known names are duds, best stick with some of the better proven performers.

Last edited by james on Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please define "dud"Wink

Here some shots with my 24mm f/2.8 RMC Tokina, bought for EUR 20, on my 5D (original).

(And a 100% crop from a corner too to show how bad it really is Wink)

I thought we MF lenses lovers are not pixel peepers! Very Happy

http://www.camerac.nl/foto/Tokina24mm/rmctok2428-01.jpg

http://www.camerac.nl/foto/Tokina24mm/rmctok2428-02.jpg

http://www.camerac.nl/foto/Tokina24mm/rmctok2428-03.jpg

http://www.camerac.nl/foto/Tokina24mm/rmctok2428-04.jpg

http://www.camerac.nl/foto/Tokina24mm/rmctok2428-crop.jpg

Last edited by Spotmatic on Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Please define "dud"Wink

A dud at 24mm on a 21-24MP sensor?

1] Nikkor 24/2 AIS.
2] Leica R 24 Elmarit

...and pricey 'duds' at that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, although I lived in Holland, I still find the Dutch sense of humour difficult!

To me, I see very little wrong with those shots, they seem to be pretty free of linear distortions, sharpness seems good, colours and contrast also good, that corner crop shows decent sharpness, CA, etc.

All in all, I'd be happy with that lens, especially for 20e.

Sometimes I wonder what people actually want in a lens, what they are going to do with the images - print them big?

Seriously, unless you're going to be printing very large pictures then the performance of just about any 24mm mentioned in this thread so far will be more than adequate.

Sometimes I wonder if posting images on the web and pixel peeping is misleading as to the usefulness of a lens, there is so much more to an image than sharpness, CA etc and it seems we forget that sometimes.