Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pancolar 50mm question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Pancolar 50mm question Reply with quote

Hi is there anyone how has tried lots of Pancolars that can tell me if on of the variants has better wide open sharpness.I know that sample variations makes it hard to tell if it really is model specifically.
I have had 4 Pancolars 1 red mc 1 white mc and two smal ones,the red mc on was very worn but way sharper then the others.
I am in too buy another and I like the newer little ones but I thinking that I maybe should look for an red mc if they are generally sharper.What's your experience .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older variants (zebra) usually yellow cast otherwise no difference in sharpness. Could be slightly better contrast with MC.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my own experiences: newer models with better coatings appear to be sharper because of the better contrast, like Pancolart said in his post. If you make the same picture with the older version and enhance contrast in LR (or similar software) you might just end up with the same result in terms of sharpness!

Some of the older zebra models have 8 aperture blades, new models have 6. This can make a difference in bokeh highlights when stopped down, 8 blades give more circular results.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best from all Prakticar 50mm f1.4 due it has best coating.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

So for 50mm 1.8 you should choose for Jena Prakticar or Carl Zeiss Prakticar?
AFAIK the Pentacon Prakticar 50mm 1.8 is no Pancolar lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
From my own experiences: newer models with better coatings appear to be sharper because of the better contrast, like Pancolart said in his post. If you make the same picture with the older version and enhance contrast in LR (or similar software) you might just end up with the same result in terms of sharpness!

Some of the older zebra models have 8 aperture blades, new models have 6. This can make a difference in bokeh highlights when stopped down, 8 blades give more circular results.

The older ones have 6 elem. and 4 groups and the next have 6/5.
My Zebra has a 6 blades aperture but I don't know which scheme it has.

Last edited by memetph on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input,I gonna use the lens on an Sony a99 so I think that Prakticar is out of question,
I have an Revuenon(Pentacon) 50mm 1,8 thats very sharp in center from about f2.2 but there Is something
in the rendering I don't like,,,,,

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Attila wrote:

So for 50mm 1.8 you should choose for Jena Prakticar or Carl Zeiss Prakticar?
AFAIK the Pentacon Prakticar 50mm 1.8 is no Pancolar lens.

Carl Zeiss Prakticar not exists , that is Carl Zeiss Planar.
Carl Zeiss Jena Prakticar 50mm f1.4 and f1.8 both exists from Jena factory, both are very good.
Pentacon Prakticar 50mm f1.8 excellent lens as well this is not made in Jena.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeeke wrote:
Thanks for your input,I gonna use the lens on an Sony a99 so I think that Prakticar is out of question,
I have an Revuenon(Pentacon) 50mm 1,8 thats very sharp in center from about f2.2 but there Is something
in the rendering I don't like,,,,,

Mc and zebra has only coating difference in my opinion, some Zebra has damn good coating some MC lens has no coating anymore Sad
so still need a bit luck , majority of Pancolar has no issues, I bought, test and sold 30+ at least I don't remember for any issues, except usual aperture stucks what is require cleaning.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked att eBay and there more Pancolars for sale now than a couple of years ago and still the prices have risen.I bought a small mc one and as usual it's a little excitement to se what you get.......

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truth is that it is not very sharp wide open. But it is very good lens.

http://slrlensreview.com/web/reviews/carl-zeiss-lenses-swhorizontalmenu-172/zeiss-standard/398-carl-zeiss-jena-pancolar-mc-50mm-f18-m42-lens-review

Best regards

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of my 6 Pancolars, all are acceptably sharp wide open, the actual resolution is high but it is somewhat masked by a lack of macro contrast (single coating at fault here) and a little residual spherical aberration. However, 3 are very sharp wide open, sharper than many other 50s like the Canon FD 1.8/50 are wide open; but those are the 3 with MC which makes a big difference and they are slightly better corrected then the single-coated version, showing the influence of computing technology in the 1970s.

Late M42 MC wide open on Sony a850, it resolved the fine hairs around the eye perfectly:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that the Pancolar have two steps on the aperture between 1.8 and 2.8 I had an Rollie planar 50mm f1.8 in m42 that was sharp and contrasted wide open.....regret selling that one......

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Planar 1.8/50 too. IMHO, an MC Pancolar in good condition is as sharp wide open as the Planar.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Planar (HFT) seems sharper than my Pzncolar ( Zebra). This Planar is really sharp.
I prefer the bokeh of my Pancolar. I am also surprised by its 3 D effect on some shots.
Both lenses are keepers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lens you might consider. The Zenitar M 1.7/50.

Flower is 3 to 4 cm diameter. Shot taken wide open from around 3 meters.

100% crop

Last edited by newst on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the Zenitar, it's supremely sharp. I was using my copy of the Zenitar M2S 2/50 yesterday in fact.