Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Honeywell Pentax Super-Takumar 55mm f1.8 Markings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Honeywell Pentax Super-Takumar 55mm f1.8 Markings Reply with quote

Hello MFL, this is my first post.

I recently bought a Honeywell Pentax Super-Takumar 55mm f1.8 (M42 mount) lens at a thrift store. It appears to be in very good condition. I noticed that the "Honeywell" marking is only on the lens cap but not anywhere on the lens itself. Do you know if this is normal, or is this just a regular Pentax lens with the wrong lens cap on it. Thanks.

I'll attempt to upload a picture of the lens in my next post because I don't think I can do it on my first post.

Matt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a while the name honeywell was used in the US instead of Asahi
Honeywell was the importer of pentax stuff
Asahi pentax = honeywell pentax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen is right, I don't think they ever put "Honeywell" on lens rings. But your lens is a SMC Takumar, not a Super-Takumar, so maybe the lens ring is not the original one for this lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

@peterqd: Do you think it is an SMC because of the two silver rings? And by "lens ring", are you referring to the front of the lens that says "Super-Takumar"?

Matt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

?? The lens that's shown here reads "Super Takumar." No SMC engraved... or maybe I'm crazy...

peterqd wrote:
Karen is right, I don't think they ever put "Honeywell" on lens rings. But your lens is a SMC Takumar, not a Super-Takumar, so maybe the lens ring is not the original one for this lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but the "Super Takumars" didn't have that square notch on the back. That was a aperture metering add for a late model Spotmatics. That only came out with The Super Multi Coated Takumars.

The name ring has been changed on yours.

Doesn't make it any less cool though Razz

my busted up beat looking 55mm f1.8 is my favourite lens!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the back of the lens. The number on the bottom of the Auto/Man. switch is "37106", if that helps.

Matt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reMac wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

@peterqd: Do you think it is an SMC because of the two silver rings? And by "lens ring", are you referring to the front of the lens that says "Super-Takumar"?

Matt

The lens is definitely an SMC Takumar. You can tell by the focus grip and chrome rings amongst other things. This was the last issue of M42 Takumars prior to the introduction of the K mount, and the first K mount lenses had the same grip. As tromboads says, the lens also has the mechanism to indicate the aperture setting to the camera, which was designed for the Spotmatic F and ES cameras, the last M42 mount Pentax cameras before the K mount was introduced.n

The engraved ring on your lens has been taken from another, older, lens which didn't have Super Multi-Coating.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lens is a SMC Takumar. Afaik, the Super-Takumars did not have a rubberized focusing ring.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the various protruberances on the rear of the lens that super takumars lacked. Your lens is definitely a late model SMC TAKUMAR (probably the last screw mount version of the 50mm f/1.4 - dating from 1972-1975). It coincided with the release of the ES I & II and the Spotmatic F. These bodies were the only Spotmatics to support full aperture metering. It should say SMC TAKUMAR 1:1.4 / 50 on the front bezel ring. It sports a rubberized focusing ring and fine knurls on the diaphragm ring (like yours). It has the same optical design as the earlier Super-Multi-coated TAKUMAR 1:1.4 / 50mm - 7 elements in 6 groups. The distance engravings are yellow for meters and blue for feet. some samples have two notches in the rear element fixing ring, others do not. Yours does. According to Oosten, the product number under the auto/man switch should be 37908, but that might vary.

I suspect someone may have removed the original bezel to make repairs and may have damaged it in the process. The ring was then subsequently replaced with one from the earlier Super Takumar model lens.

Enjoy the lens - it is a good one!

Best,

PauL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
Based on the various protruberances on the rear of the lens that super takumars lacked. Your lens is definitely a late model SMC TAKUMAR (probably the last screw mount version of the 50mm f/1.4 - dating from 1972-1975). It coincided with the release of the ES I & II and the Spotmatic F. These bodies were the only Spotmatics to support full aperture metering. It should say SMC TAKUMAR 1:1.4 / 50 on the front bezel ring. It sports a rubberized focusing ring and fine knurls on the diaphragm ring (like yours). It has the same optical design as the earlier Super-Multi-coated TAKUMAR 1:1.4 / 50mm - 7 elements in 6 groups. The distance engravings are yellow for meters and blue for feet. some samples have two notches in the rear element fixing ring, others do not. Yours does. According to Oosten, the product number under the auto/man switch should be 37908, but that might vary.

I agree that the lens in question seems to be an SMC Tak (with a front ring that was replaced), but why a 50/1.4? The aperture ring stops at "1.8" -- are you saying that that was changed too?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, it's kinda funny that you were worried about the :Honeywell" logo on the cap...

As others have said, the 55mm 1.8 is a fantastic lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwcetus wrote:
pdccameras wrote:

I agree that the lens in question seems to be an SMC Tak (with a front ring that was replaced), but why a 50/1.4? The aperture ring stops at "1.8" -- are you saying that that was changed too?

Nope, I misread the OP. I should have written 55mm f/1.8 SMC TAKUMAR. The product number being 37108. The optical formula is 5 elements in 6 groups (same formula as the Super-Multicoated TAKUMAR 1:1.8 / 55mm). Year of manufacturer was 1972- 1975.

Best,

Paul

Last edited by pdccameras on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Honywell branding was to get around import restrictions of Japanese products, Honywell was an American company.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Product number 37108 is definitely the SMC TAKUMAR 1:1.8/55mm. Year of manufacture 1972-1975, elements groups 6/5, screw mount and same optical design as the Super Multi Coated TAKUMAR 1:1.8/55 mm' says The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide of Gerjan van Oosten.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBokeh wrote:
Matt, it's kinda funny that you were worried about the :Honeywell" logo on the cap...

Haha. That's okay. My original question has been answered. Please keep discussing, I'm still learning.

quidam wrote:
'Product number 37108 is definitely the SMC TAKUMAR 1:1.8/55mm. Year of manufacture 1972-1975, elements groups 6/5, screw mount and same optical design as the Super Multi Coated TAKUMAR 1:1.8/55 mm' says The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide of Gerjan van Oosten.

The part number on this lens is defintely 37106, not 37108. I found the following webpage, which looks like an archived table of Pentax M42 info from a website that doesn't exist anymore called [m-fortytwo.info]. Looking at the table, I agree that my lens matches the specs for 37108, and that the listed specs for 37106 do not match my lens. I don't know if my lens was made during the switchover from 37106 to 37108, or what. The front nameplate being incorrect is easy to explain, but the part number of my lens seems to refer to the previous version with a metal focus ring. Now I'm curious.

Link: Pentax Screwmount Database Project (See items #108 & #110)
Link: Asahi Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:1.8/55. This page shows 37106 as having a metal focus ring.

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quidam wrote:

And it's the optical twin of the SMC Pentax ("K") 55/1.8 (a copy of which I am pleased to have), AND (most bizarrely) the SMC Pentax ("K") 55/2 (and maybe the SMC Takumar 55/2).

Interestingly enough, Pentax created the K 55/1.8 and the K 55/2 with the exact same glass and mechanicals -- the only significant difference is that the K 55/2 has an additional baffle that narrows the aperture a bit, turning an excellent f/1.8 lens into an excellent (but slower) f/2 lens. (This may have been the story with the SMC Takumar 55/1.8 and 55/2 as well.)

Likely the pride of the Pentax marketing department, the "dumbed-down" 55/2 was the lens supplied as the "budget" normal lens with some of the new K-mount bodies, while the 55/1.8, the 50/1.4, and the 50/1.2 were, in turn, each considered a step-up in quality and price. (Logical? No, I don't think so either.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching on the net, you can see that Honeywell Pentax was a brand for bodies. The lenses remained Asahi opt . Takumars.

It is strange to see a Super Tak with a SMC focus ring. It could be a Super Tak ( no MC) with this cosmetic made for Honeywell or a SMC not branded as a SMC. Perhaps Asahi wanted to keep the exclusivity of this branding.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, what would you say is the colour of the reflection in the front lens? The coating on the Super-Takumar would normally reflect a gold
or amber colour, and on the S-M-C and SMC versions the colour is usually a purple/green. This might help determine what lens the
optics are from, even though the body seems a bit of a mish-mash. Smile

I don't think this lens came out of the factory like this. It seems more likely to me that someone has cobbled it together from odd
parts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
It is strange to see a Super Tak with a SMC focus ring. It could be a Super Tak ( no MC) with this cosmetic made for Honeywell or a SMC not branded as a SMC. Perhaps Asahi wanted to keep the exclusivity of this branding.

That's what I've been thinking, that this might be a Honeywell-specific model.

peterqd wrote:
Matt, what would you say is the colour of the reflection in the front lens? The coating on the Super-Takumar would normally reflect a gold
or amber colour, and on the S-M-C and SMC versions the colour is usually a purple/green. This might help determine what lens the
optics are from, even though the body seems a bit of a mish-mash. Smile

Here is a photo of the 55mm f1.8 Super-Takumar on the left and a 50mm f1.4 Super Multi Coated Takumar on the right. The 55mm has a gold tint and the 50mm has a purple-red tint. The 50mm has some orange-amber discoloration in the optics, so that may or may not be affecting the reflection tint color. I also have a 135mm f3.5 Super Multi Coated Takumar that has a blue-green tint to it. I've seen a few specs for different lenses that list weights. The 55mm Super-Takumar that this thread has been about weighs 202 grams.

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so you have the optics and engraved ring from a Super-Tak and the rubber focus grip from a SMC Tak.

Pentax did issue Super-Takumars in S-M-C bodies with the aperture indicating lever etc - I have a 55/2 Super-Tak like that. Maybe the
production of the new super multi-coating couldn't keep pace or maybe they had a stock of the older optics to use with the S-M-C newer
bodies as a cheaper option. These were the kit lenses at the time, don't forget. However, they would have had the older metal scalloped
focus grip, which makes me doubtful your SMC focus grip is original. I could be wrong though, maybe somebody on Pentax forum or the
Yahoo Spotmatic group can throw some light on it.

The code on the A/M switch is another mystery. My Super-Tak 1.8/55 is 37101 and my S-M-C Tak 1.8/55 is 37104. The SMC Tak is
37108, so your 37106 code appears to be later than both mine but prior to the SMC Tak.

Your lens is certainly an interesting specimen and maybe quite rare! I hope you manage to track down the truth about it. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I missing something, but your fine lens is uncommon, but not rare. It is the style of the very last Takumars (M42) which were supplied as normal lenses with Cameras like the Electro Spotmatic (ES). Enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you are missing something. This lens is identified as a Super Takumar, but it has the cosmetic and the mechanic of a SMC Takumar.

Remac : those are two different lenses 1.4 and 1.8.
I have 3 ST 55 1.8 and 1 SMC 55 2 . I will check the coating colours today.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three generations of the 55mm Super Takumar.

left to right : older version without Thorium ( cooler rendition similar to Takumar), Thorium ST, SMC.
This Honeywell ST is not MC.