Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss ikon Piccolette
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Zeiss ikon Piccolette Reply with quote

A friend of mine gave me this new camera, but on the condition that I take a photo of her.
As far as loading the film goes, does it seem that it should slide into the folded metal shown in photo #4?
Any ideas about shooting with this? It does not focus. 6.3 to 32 aperture settings. 25-50-100 and B shutter speeds. 75mm Nettar lens. Any of your expert shooting advice appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lovely little camera. It uses 127 film. The film slides through the channel to the other spool.

If you can get 127 film it would be worth trying out. New film is usually only available in black and white, or you can cut and re-spool 120 (not for the faint hearted)

from a Zeiss catalogue. It tells you its fixed focus.

What McKeowns has to say about it...

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
A lovely little camera. It uses 127 film. The film slides through the channel to the other spool.
If you can get 127 film it would be worth trying out. New film is usually only available in black and white, or you can cut and re-spool 120 (not for the faint hearted)

Thanks for this information. I have some black and white film for it with ISO 100 rating.
I was thinking to set the shutter to 100 and use the sunny 16 rule. It also has a screw hole for a tripod.
Do you have some idea how close it would be good to shoot at with this lens?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The film holder looks a little bent in photo 5, re-work it very carefully.

Test the camera first with a small LED torch inside. Put the torch in it, lit, put in the film transport mechanism and close the back. Take the camera into a completely dark room - or under the bed covers and look for light leaks. If there are leaks then it would be worth eliminating them before using it.

Sunny 16 would be perfect - thats how it would have been used 90 years ago. Fixed focus would probably be ok from 3 metres to infinity at f11. A big enlargement of the negative may show that to be optimistic, but when this camera was made, contact prints were normal and enlargements were no bigger than postcard size.

Your camera is a model B, it was made after 1926. Zeiss purchased Contessa Nettel in 1926. The camera bears the Zeiss name and the lens the Contessa-Nettel name. The model was discontinued in 1930.

Good luck with this and please show us the results!!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thank you. The camera bellows seem fine.
Now I am waiting for the person who gave me the camera so I can photograph her.
And for some sunny weather, it has been very cloudy lately.
Oh and I need to load the film. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I loaded the film. The film guide system was very nice. I was glad I was able to put the film holder into the camera without any problem because it was a tight fit. I wound the film till I saw the number 1. I am supposed to take the photos on Friday. Hope we have some nice weather. Smile
The clip from that article about the camera was very helpful also. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to your results

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Looking forward to your results

Here are a few photos from the camera.
Sorry for taking so long. They did not turn out so good. The weather conditions were poor that day
I could have used a tripod and a wire shutter release. I still have one roll of film left so I will take some on
a nicer day. Also the only place I found to develop the film could not scan the photos because of the format.
Instead they gave some prints of not so great quality which I scanned. I read on another post you telling someone
to post there photos from a certain camera no matter what the quality and I thought of these, so here are a few.