Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Choosing a 135mm Vivitar/Canon/Takumar/Sonnar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Choosing a 135mm Vivitar/Canon/Takumar/Sonnar Reply with quote

Hello everybody from the forum,

I was, and still am, for a tele manual focus lens with a good price/quality and after some research I found out that there is a lot great 135mm manual focus lenses at a low price. Initially I was looking more for a zoom but maybe a 135mm would be a good first manual focus lens.

The problem is that there are so many 135mm and so much information that it's really hard to decide. This four seem to have good quality at an affordable price and, after I checked, I found each one on ebay at the price a wanted (<200$):

Vivitar Series 1 135mm f/2.3
Canon FD 135mm f/2.5 S.C.
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135mm f/2.5 V2
Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 135 mm f/2,8 C/Y

From reading the reviews and looking at sample photos, looks like the Vivitar is very sharp but with some CA that can be annoying.
If I was going to buy based on what I read, would go for the Takumar. But I could be wrong so that's why I'm asking for your opinion.

If you have any other recommendations feel free to write those. Other focal lengths, zooms, etc.

My dslr body now is the Canon 600D looking to buy a FF in the future.

Thank you!
www.joaosousaphoto.com

PS: I'm posting this topic only because I couldn´t find any comparison between these lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I love my 135mm f2,5 FD lens, I would not recommend it for you, or any other lenses with FD mount, because with your EOS you are going to need an adapter with extra glass in it which would deteriorate the image quality.

I don't have experience with any of the other lenses you mentioned so can't help you any further

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/carl-zeiss-jenna-sonnar-mc-135mm-f35.html

includes a link to a sonnars comparison here, and heres another test.

http://forum.mflenses.com/communist-135mm-sonnars-comparison-t33719.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't recommend my favorite, the Konica Hexanon AR 3.2/135 (smaller, lighter and better image quality than the Hexanon 2.5/135) because you can't use Hexanons with your Cannon.

Instead I will leave you with some light reading material...

http://forum.mflenses.com/twelve-2-8-135mm-lenses-compared-on-5dmkii-t39463.html

http://oomz.net/135/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick replies.

I saw those links before, there are so many lenses that it's very difficult to choose one.

!Karen A simple M42 mount wouldn't be enough for lenses with that kind of mount? And, does the FD-EF adapter really degrade the image quality that much?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpadesousa wrote:
Thank you for the quick replies.

I saw those links before, there are so many lenses that it's very difficult to choose one.

And how do you think our diverse unsupported opinions will make things any easier?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested fourteen 135mm lenses a while bac, I think I have a few more now Rolling Eyes , and found there was no really bad lens among them, and there are some cheap lenses in my collection that people might well overlook.
The consensus seemed to be, "there are no really bad 135's" - apparently it's a focal length that is easy to design and manufacture. I thought the Jupiter 11 135 / 4 was very good, and so did many others.

http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-135mm-lenses-fourteen-of-them-t67373,highlight,%2Btesting+%2B135+%2Blenses.html

I shall have to see what new 135's I've got. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the sonnar fits your budget, don't hesitate and get it, it's by far the best 135 I've tried: sharp, contrasty, T*coating, sonnar character, little to none chromatic aberrations (which affect my second favorite, the RE Auto Topcor 3.5/135, in some situations) and in the end still relatively affordable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either the sonnar or the asahi will give you stellar images. Vivitar series 1 can be a bit of a challenge as there is the old version (good) and the new version (not so good). Watch *bay for a bit and follow a couple of auctions to get an idea where they end up as far as price goes. Then find a good looking example from a seller with a 100% rating and bid a bit more than the ones you followed. Worse case scenario you payed just a bit more than the going rate for a good example. Best case scenario nobody else bids and you get a great bargain. I generally find the lowest BIN price for "good" examples is about 20% more than the average auction and so I bid accordingly. If I really want a specific example I will bid just under the buy it now. Of course these only apply for items where there are frequent auctions and numerous examples (Like the sonnar). You might also consider the Topcon RE lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like Mamiya Sekor Auto 135mm ƒ2.8
This is M42 lens and should fit the Canon body.

Here are some examples taken with Pentax K-5II, which I do not have it anymore...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and don't forget brilliant Fuji 135/2.5 EBC ! also nikon 105/2.5 is an excellent performer if you can use 105 instead of 135!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Canon camera owner must always consider Olympus alternatives if legacy lenses are concerned. 135 3.5 and 2.8 are not only good performers but also much more compact than most if not all.

Vivitar 135 2.8 Close Focus variety is optically another noteworthy contender and supports a helicoid system that allows 1:2 reproduction (albeit minimum focusing distance is a bit long).

Both three of these options are much cheaper than your limit. Vivitar can be harder to find though as you will need to find one in a compatible (e.g. OM or m42) bayonet.

There are various examples in the forum and gallery and I know Wolverine has tried and displayed photos from at least 2 of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, shooting on EOS...

Don't rule out Olympus OM Zuiko. Superb image quality and build. And since the OM mount is smaller than EF, they make simple adapters for Canon. No register issues.

The 135mm f/2.8 is highly desired.

Edit: Ah, I see Listera mentioned Olympus already.
Note, the Vivitar (Komine) 135mm f/2.8 standard lens is also a fine performer and affordable. Love the images from my copy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a little more research:

I couldn't find a good condition Olympus Zuiko OM 135 2.8. Not in Europe.
The CZ Sonnar T* 135 2.8 goes for about 200$
Mamiya/Sekor 135 2.8 60-100$
Vivitar 135 2.5, there is one at about 100$
SMC Takumar 135 2.5 V2 150-200$
Meyer-Optik Görlitz Orestor 2.8 135 150$
Nikon Nikkor 105 2.5 150-350$ (Non AI or AI)
Tair 11 135 2.8 180$

These are buy it now prices.

The C/Y adapters to EOS are difficult to find. At least it looks like that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay C/Y to Canon EOS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a guy in my city selling the Nikon Nikkor 105 2.5 (I think is the AI or the AIs). And at a good price.

This would be a good lens? How can I know if it is non AI, AI or AIs?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch this: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/105f25.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you tb_a!

It's a AIs, the serial number is 91xxxx.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Choosing a 135mm Vivitar/Canon/Takumar/Sonnar Reply with quote

jpadesousa wrote:
This four seem to have good quality at an affordable price and, after I checked, I found each one on ebay at the price a wanted (<200$):

Vivitar Series 1 135mm f/2.3
Canon FD 135mm f/2.5 S.C.
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135mm f/2.5 V2
Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 135 mm f/2,8 C/Y

From reading the reviews and looking at sample photos, looks like the Vivitar is very sharp but with some CA that can be annoying.
If I was going to buy based on what I read, would go for the Takumar. But I could be wrong so that's why I'm asking for your opinion.

I shoot with Pentax bodies, and I am familair with only two of the above lenses:

The VS1 135/2.3 is a lovely lens to use. However, on digital (as with many older lenses) it may sometimes show some purple fringing (depending on the shooting conditions), but is sharp and has great bokeh. However, it does seem to me that some of the prices for it lately are a bit high (although I may be thinking mostly of the K-mount versions) -- in particular, I am surprised that the VS1 135/2.3 often goes for quite a bit more than does the VS1 200/3, which (except for the obvious FL and size difference) is a rather similar lens.

I am currently spending some time with a couple of the K-mount instances of the "Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135mm f/2.5 V2" -- they're both the SMC Pentax 135/2.5 version (optically the same as the second Tak 135/2.5) -- one is a "regular" K-mount, while one is a "crippled" one (no aperture coupling lever, the surgery performed by a Canon owner). The SMC Pentax/Tak 135/2.5 is a beautiful lens design, which I don't think you could go wrong with at all.

[By the way, I am ~not~ referring to the "Takumar Bayonet" 135/"2.5", which is, in contrast, a lesser "consumer"-quality lens (and is really only an f2.8 lens anyway.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Vivitar series 1 can be a bit of a challenge as there is the old version (good) and the new version (not so good).

??? I am confused here. Are you saying that you think there are two VS1 135/2.3 designs? I am aware of just one version (and it's certainly a good one). Please elaborate or explain what you mean (or correct me if I am misreading you). Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the Vivitar Series-1 135mm f/2.3....

I'm also not aware of a second version. Unless you are referring to the original release with single-coated optics, and the later with VMC added.