Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Gallipoli Peninsula, Turkey (19 pics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Gallipoli Peninsula, Turkey (19 pics) Reply with quote

Just came back from eight days shooting video for a documentary in Turkey, on the Gallipoli (Gelibolu) Peninsula, a fascinating strip of land between the Dardanelles and the Aegean sea. A place of a huge strategic importance, today just like a century ago, when a terrible campaign was fought here during WWI.

All pics shot with a7s, all with slight pp (straightening, levels, wb adjustment).

1) Minolta MD W.Rokkor-X 2.8/24

Atatürk Anıt - New Zealand National Memorial, Conkbayiri, Penisola di Gallipoli by Alessandro Lucchini, su Flickr

2) V Beach, at Cape Helles
LZOS Jupiter 12 red P 2.8/35 (first time out with it, I like it very much, but corners are quite bad on the a7s)

V Beach, Cape Helles, Penisola di Gallipoli by Alessandro Lucchini, su Flickr

3) V Beach, at Cape Helles
LZOS Jupiter 12 red P 2.8/35

V Beach, Capo Helles, Penisola di Gallipoli by Alessandro Lucchini, su Flickr

4) The small village of Kilitbahir as seen from a Ferry Boat on the Dardanelles
RE. Auto Topcor 2.8/35

Stretto dei Dardanelli, Kilitbahir by Alessandro Lucchini, su Flickr

5) Kilitbahir Castle
Vivitar Series 1 VMC 3/200

Castello Di Kilitbahir by Alessandro Lucchini, su Flickr

6) The fortress in the town of Canakkale, right in front of Kilitbahir, in the most narrow point of the strait
Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 4/20

Fortezza di Çanakkale by Alessandro Lucchini, su Flickr

7) A wreck from WWI in the crystal clear waters of Suvla Bay, on the Aegean (west) side of the Peninsula
Minolta MD W.Rokkor-X 2.8/24

Suvla Bay, Penisola di Gallipoli by Alessandro Lucchini, su Flickr

8-9-10) Suvla bay again

11) Carl Zeiss Jena Triotar 4/85

DSC01650 by Alessandro Lucchini, su Flickr

12) 57th Infantry Regiment of the Ottoman Empire - Memorial

Memoriale - 57° Reggimento di Fanteria dell'Impero Ottomano by Alessandro Lucchini, su Flickr

13) The Nek: Australian and New Zealand troops, after landing on the beach, had to try and take turkish positions on top of these crests.

Nek, Penisola di Gallipoli by Alessandro Lucchini, su Flickr

14) Minolta MD W.Rokkor-X 2.8/24

Anzac Cove, Conkbayırı, Penisola di Gallipoli by Alessandro Lucchini, su Flickr

15) Dawn over Çanakkale and the Dardanelles
RE. Auto Topcor 1.8/58

Stretto dei Dardanelli, Çanakkale by Alessandro Lucchini, su Flickr

16) Dawn again
RE. Auto Topcor 2.8/100

Stretto dei Dardanelli, Çanakkale by Alessandro Lucchini, su Flickr

17) Kilitbahir Castle
RE. Auto Topcor 2.8/100

Castello di Kilitbahir by Alessandro Lucchini, su Flickr

18) ANZAC Cove
Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 4/20

ANZAC Cove, Penisola di Gallipoli by Alessandro Lucchini, su Flickr

19) Gully Ravine
RE. Auto Topcor 2.8/35

Gully Ravine, Penisola di Gallipoli by Alessandro Lucchini, su Flickr

Last edited by Aanything on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful images. I visited there in 1996 on my honeymoon and found the contrast between its present-day beauty and its history of carnage to be be very emotional. I also found the multiple monuments for the different groups who lost their lives there (Europeans, Turks, Australians/New Zealanders) to be very interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific shots esp as I'm also interested in history.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice photos, Alessandro.
Thanks a lot for the trip.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJB wrote:
Beautiful images. I visited there in 1996 on my honeymoon and found the contrast between its present-day beauty and its history of carnage to be be very emotional. I also found the multiple monuments for the different groups who lost their lives there (Europeans, Turks, Australians/New Zealanders) to be very interesting.

Thanks. Yes, the contrast between the beauty and calm of the landscapes and the horror that took place there 100 years ago is quite striking, and some wrecks spread around those amazing beach are a quite clear sign of that.

Excalibur wrote:
Terrific shots esp as I'm also interested in history.

Thanks. Yes, this part of history is truly interesting, even under a strategic point of view, and often overlooked - in italian schools at least - where the main focus when speaking about WWI is on the Alps and Western front.

Olivier wrote:
Very nice photos, Alessandro.
Thanks a lot for the trip.

Thanks Olivier!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great series Exclamation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
great series :!:

thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful work. If ever there was a place that screams out the futility of war, this is it.

You can also make a strong case that the Australian sense of nationhood was born in the trenches of Gallipoli.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, amazing work!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Wonderful work. If ever there was a place that screams out the futility of war, this is it.

You can also make a strong case that the Australian sense of nationhood was born in the trenches of Gallipoli.

Thanks Ian. Yes, there's a lot about 20th century history that was already present in the events that happened there. For sure, it was the first approach to the world's stage for the young Australian nation - even if still under the flag of the british empire.

kds315* wrote:
WOW, amazing work!

Thanks Klaus!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series. All of them literally shine, especially given -seemingly- strong sunshine. A place everybody should visit and pay tribute to all who lost their lives...

Last edited by listera on Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great reportage ! thanks for the visit
2 years ago, I drive near this city on my way to Istanbul
it's a pity I didn't made a stop, so many nice places and so little time

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wow series, I love them all!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

listera wrote:
Great series. All of them literally shine, especially given -seemingly- strong sunshine. A place everybody should visit and pay tribute to all who lost their lives...

Thanks.
Yes, weather was great, which made being there for work even more frustrating: I couldn't take a single swim in that incredible sea in eight days, which was not fair.

poilu wrote:
great reportage ! thanks for the visit
2 years ago, I drive near this city on my way to Istanbul
it's a pity I didn't made a stop, so many nice places and so little time

Thanks.
It really looks like an excellent place for a sea holiday: not too crowded, beautiful beaches, crystal clear sea, nice people. It's just a bit out of reach from Italy, as it would take 3 hours flight to Istanbul or Izmir, and another 4 hours drive to get there.

Attila wrote:
Just wow series, I love them all!

Thanks Attila!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Thanks Ian. Yes, there's a lot about 20th century history that was already present in the events that happened there. For sure, it was the first approach to the world's stage for the young Australian nation - even if still under the flag of the british empire.

There are a couple of very good films on the subject, one is called Galiipoli, the other The Light Horsemen. I also saw a Turkish film on the subject this year that was very good, but I can't remember the name.

Gallipoli is actually on Youtube in full:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojFxlULdEQo

A clip from The Lighthorsemen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuAu5YLvg98

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

There are a couple of very good films on the subject, one is called Galiipoli, the other The Light Horsemen. I also saw a Turkish film on the subject this year that was very good, but I can't remember the name.

Gallipoli is actually on Youtube in full:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojFxlULdEQo

A clip from The Lighthorsemen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuAu5YLvg98

Thanks Ian: I know Gallipoli, and I really liked it - I am a Peter Weir fan. I will look for the others.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful place, nice photos.