Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

S-M-C and Super Takumar 50mm f1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I even saw a few photos from MFlenses members Cool

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mflenses members, who are they Peter?
this group at flickr was created by me, and just now after a long while again I had checked out the photos posted and I was very impressed by their quality

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
mflenses members, who are they Peter?
this group at flickr was created by me, and just now after a long while again I had checked out the photos posted and I was very impressed by their quality

I guess that's really fun, finding out things like this Smile

At least Ivo Lázaro (with his photo of Monica) is a member here (Lazzaros).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak is our member too

Very good photos there

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2contagious wrote:
What about the SMC Takumar 55/2.0? did it have a thorium piece as well?

No, the 55/1.8 and 55/2 are not radioactive, do not have thoriated glass and consecuently do not yellow with the time.

However, both S-M-C and SMC Takumar 50/1.4 *do* have thoriated glass and *do* yellow with the time (they cure nicely with UV though). I have an SMC version of 50/1.4, and it was very yellow when I got it. Kept it under the sun for a couple of weeks, and it became crystal clear. That was last year; today, it is slightly yellow again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
2contagious wrote:
What about the SMC Takumar 55/2.0? did it have a thorium piece as well?

No, the 55/1.8 and 55/2 are not radioactive, do not have thoriated glass and consecuently do not yellow with the time.

However, both S-M-C and SMC Takumar 50/1.4 *do* have thoriated glass and *do* yellow with the time (they cure nicely with UV though). I have an SMC version of 50/1.4, and it was very yellow when I got it. Kept it under the sun for a couple of weeks, and it became crystal clear. That was last year; today, it is slightly yellow again.

Both 55/1.8 and 55/2 ARE radioactive but they miss the radioactive affected Canadian Balsam(lens's bonding glue) than is responsible for the yellowing of the lens in the first place ... Wink

Last edited by Keysersoze27 on Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2contagious wrote:
Hi,

what exactly is the difference between SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 and the Super Takumar 50 f1.4? Is it true that the SMC version is not radioactive?

see you,
chris.

Hi,

AFAIK, probably all 50/1.4's are radioactive.
The yellow cast is caused by radioactivity induced chemical reaction in the
"Canada balsam " resin used to glue two rear elements together.
Glue of my SMC Takumar turned yellow and it took full two days to cure it Wink
The newer versions of these lenses, starting from Pentax SMC-M, are glued with modern synthetic UV-cured resin, which is not prone to yellowing.
I do not know nothing about newest Pentax lenses, but I suppose that "hot glass" could be replaced with newer inventions such as fluorite lenses, as the target was always not "pocket x-ray source" but low dispersion Smile
Fluroite is a bit more problematic for lens designers though, as lenses are
soft so very prone to scratch, and are fragile so i.e. Canon uses these only in as internal elements to prevent damage.
Lanthanum, though maybe not as effective as Thorium is used in optical glass to reduce dispersion as well, and it's advantage is that it's addition makes glass harder so less prone to scratch Smile
There are many other methods of increasing refracting index and reducing dispersion of optical glass, but do not know much about them,
sky watching telescope guys with their APO tubes are more fluent in this department Smile
Going back to SMC Takumar and Pentax SMC-M - these two are really close in optical quality, but the coating is definitely not identical, as both lenses behave slightly different in case of extreme back-light and flare.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-M-C 1.4/50 wide open:
( well, not 100% sure it was wide open, but I think it was, what do you think? )

a 100% crop:

shot with Pentax *istDs ( APS-C sensor )
in RAW, converted in Lightroom with default settings,
NO sharpening ( though it could use just a tad ), no added contrast,
the only thing done were WB adjustment in LR, 100% crop and resizing of full frame in PS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreas:

Excelent pics. When I saw them, remembered why I like this lens so much.

Nice friend too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resurrecting this thread because finally I have started to use this lens on a FF camera Sony A7
considering that time ago I had been raving about this, my favorite lens, I was shocked to see that I had not added more photos, therefore first a few earlier ones taken on APS-C
( some of which I may have shown in other thread years ago )

Super Tak on Pentax *istDs
Geisha by andreas, on Flickr

all following S-M-C Takumar
on Pentax *istDs
Untitled by andreas, on Flickr

Pentax K-x:

once I had started using mirrorless I preferred using Pen-F halfframe and / or rangefinder lenses for their smaller size, only have very few pics taken with Sony NEX5n

and now finally on the FF camera, on the bigger Sony A7 it makes a better fit again:
wide open
smoke & bokeh bubbles Smile by andreas, on Flickr

a 100% crop:

cheers, andreas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on Sony A7:
halloou Smile by andreas, on Flickr

btw. the flickr group that I had opened for this lens by now has 2k+ members and 18k+ photos: https://www.flickr.com/groups/takumar_50mm_f14/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. I have 3 examples of this lens, the 8 element and 7 element super, an the super multi coated. Only in some situations can I even tell a difference (back lit na low contrast photos mostly). Super Multi coated is my favorite lens series. I have most of the more common both in super tak and super multi coated.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1
Very nice photos. I like the boy getting a haircut.

I like this lens as well, and have a Super Takumar and a revised SMC Takumar with the rubber focus ring.
And I should shoot with them more often too.